@Lyte Referencing "Teamwork OP"

First Riot Post
123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sadistic Cheese

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenXylaphone View Post
which still doesn't work because you are more likely to get reported and berated when you are less skilled meaning the reason for the loss isn't because you weren't a team player but because you were bad which caused a confrontation in chat and thus the report.
I would consider the reason more to be that you handled your lack of skill and/or the gap between what people expected of you and what you are very poorly is why you were reported. If I'm having an off-game or I do something stupid, I apologize for it and I acknowledge my mistake. In the latter instances I don't wait for someone ELSE to point it out, I take the initiative and responsibility and apologize. Particularly if I got someone else killed on accident. and normally? Everyone's okay with that. I get a "no problem" from the person in question or the team and we move on.

Being "bad" is not the problem. Or at least not entirely the problem. How you react to it is the problem and what makes the difference in games. I think that was kind of a large point of that video in the first place.

agt washingtub

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenXylaphone View Post
Shocking how science can be misapplied to reach false conclusion then become fact albeit not actually being true at all."
Let's be real here--the point of the video was to entice the everyday player to cool his jets in a potentially emotional situation, not to prove that a player's disposition has a statistically significant impact on their win percentage. We cannot tell if good play causes good interaction or vice versa, only that there is a correlation between the two. I would love to have Riot release the raw data that they used to get their results in order to see their thinking, but I think that could just be wishful thinking.

On a tangent, the Milgram studies deserve much more study than a snippet from the article--there were many variations run with different conditions. For example, very few if any people went maximum voltage when a confederate rebelled, or if the experimenter was acting over the intercom. The enormous variations of the different tests are good, as this means the environment of the test subjects altered their actions. It's good to be critical of scientific studies, but there is substantial evidence built upon Milgram's original experiment. Here's a good list of additional studies / meta-analyses about the study.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0000039
http://www.scu.edu/cas/psychology/fa...Milgrampdf.pdf
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...4394685.d01t02

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-11-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

As we all know, correlations do not imply causation.

When we first worked on in-game tips, we posted a few correlations that were interesting to us; however, the hypothesis was whether reading the tips themselves had a strong impact on player behavior in the game. If you are interested in some of the impact of these tips, you can take a look at our GDC talk here:

http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The...Shaping-Player

Since that time, we've done a variety of analyses on teamwork and sportsmanship and how they impact your odds of winning. None of the analyses on their own are 100% conclusive, but together, we felt like it was compelling data.

For example, in one analysis we took a set of players and codified their chat logs using an advanced language model in Champion Select Lobby before games have even started. By coding the chat logs as neutral, positive or negative then correlating these to in-game performance or end-of-game reports and Honor, we can see the powerful effects of sportsmanship-like behavior before the game has even started.

In another example, you can take 5 sets of players that have markers of sportsmanlike behavior such as a low report rate, a high Honor rate, and so on and so forth. You can then compare these sets to 5 sets of players that are considered neutral (or toxic) and see which sets of players tend to win more games.

In yet another example, you can take every behavioral combination of a team and see how win rates differ among them; for example, how often does a team of 5 sportsmanlike players win? What about 4 sportsmanlike players and 1 toxic player? What about 4 sportsmanlike players and 1 neutral player? What about 5 neutral players? You can then look at the behavioral composition of a team and see whether they outperform the matchmaking system. So on and so forth.

When we talk about Champion Select in the future, we'll be digging into some of these analyses in more detail, but we wanted to start the discussion about how OP teamwork is

Tiure

09-11-2013

Lyte why are you so amazing

please i need to know

Skytop

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As we all know, correlations do not imply causation.

When we first worked on in-game tips, we posted a few correlations that were interesting to us; however, the hypothesis was whether reading the tips themselves had a strong impact on player behavior in the game. If you are interested in some of the impact of these tips, you can take a look at our GDC talk here:

http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The...Shaping-Player

Since that time, we've done a variety of analyses on teamwork and sportsmanship and how they impact your odds of winning. None of the analyses on their own are 100% conclusive, but together, we felt like it was compelling data.

For example, in one analysis we took a set of players and codified their chat logs using an advanced language model in Champion Select Lobby before games have even started. By coding the chat logs as neutral, positive or negative then correlating these to in-game performance or end-of-game reports and Honor, we can see the powerful effects of sportsmanship-like behavior before the game has even started.

In another example, you can take 5 sets of players that have markers of sportsmanlike behavior such as a low report rate, a high Honor rate, and so on and so forth. You can then compare these sets to 5 sets of players that are considered neutral (or toxic) and see which sets of players tend to win more games.

In yet another example, you can take every behavioral combination of a team and see how win rates differ among them; for example, how often does a team of 5 sportsmanlike players win? What about 4 sportsmanlike players and 1 toxic player? What about 4 sportsmanlike players and 1 neutral player? What about 5 neutral players? You can then look at the behavioral composition of a team and see whether they outperform the matchmaking system. So on and so forth.

When we talk about Champion Select in the future, we'll be digging into some of these analyses in more detail, but we wanted to start the discussion about how OP teamwork is
Can I get paired with positive people more often?

Zombie Ryze

09-11-2013

Lyte, thanks for the video link! was about to hit TED. This will do

Edit: Oh that's you in the video!

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

Quote:
snipadidodah
Can you leave a permanent link to that video somewhere in the client.

Teamwork OP jokes OP. Make 1 in champ select and team magically has teamwork. Not necessarily a win, but much better than without joke.

Ex.

*Team fighting over roles*
Me:"you guys hear about that new OP thing? it's something called teamwork. I heard it was some sort of mythological diety"
*team quickily compromises and works out who goes where*
Teamate 1:gl hf guys
*round of gl hf from everyone*
*ingame working together from step one to help jungler and establish early vision. evolves into multi teammate ganks all early game. Late game team is actually grouping together.*

EVERY GAME ALL DAY. WIN OR LOSE.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-11-2013
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Ryze View Post
Lyte, thanks for the video link! was about to hit TED. This will do

Edit: Oh that's you in the video!
They let scientists out of the cave once in awhile...

Uiraya

09-11-2013

So this one time I was stealing red as Evelynn and the jungler showed up. Must have gotten a better leash than I did. Whatevs. I don't even remember who it was, it's not important. Some tanky jackass. Obviously, I'm out of there- while I do smite-secure his red, I'm pretty low and I'm quite at risk of losing both buffs. So I flash over Baron wall and cheese it, but he follows me. I'm still lv. 2 so I have q and e, no w. I'm toast, right?

All of a sudden Annie stuns him. Annie saw him show up in my vision radius and IMMEDIATELY came to help. I turn around and murder his ass. His top lane bro shows up half a second too late, and I boot it again, only for him to get caught between Annie and our top laner. Had this gone **** up I'd have been way behind (if he knew the first thing about anything he'd have my red gone by the time I got there) and would have been useless without some miracle ganks. Instead, teammates actually watched the map for once, saved my ass, and instead THEY got the team with the ahead jungler. You don't think the 3 cs they lost for coming to help me paid off bigtime later?

It's the little things.

Also I am now considering getting w when I steal red, haha.
~Uiru

davin

Senior User Researcher

09-11-2013
3 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
They let scientists out of the cave once in awhile...
Time's up. BACK INTO THE CAVE!

123456 ... 9