Matchmaking FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrulyBland

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stez007 View Post
Elo hell does exist, though. It's not tied to any specific elo, but to a player's actual skill level.

What players call "elo hell" is the point in their skill progression where they are good enough at the game to win even-skill games normally (ie by winning or going even in lane and being strong teamfighters/splitpushers) and carry games against lesser skilled players and trolls, but they are not good enough to carry trolls and weaker players on their own teams. This can happen at any division and in any tier, from Bronze 5 all the way to Diamond 1. It affects players that climb quickly the least and players that climb slowly the most, particularly in terms of LP; consequently, it feels most prevalent in division 1s where LP gains tend to slow down considerably and promotion series' are longer and more difficult to complete.

It does exist, it's just not static; it comes at a different point for all players, but every single player save the best of the best will experience it at some point. No one get's that much better at the game overnight.
Can carry if their teammates are better than the opponents,
Can't carry if their teammates are worse than the opponents,
Can carry if the game is even.

What you're describing is a scenario where the Player wins over 50% of the games and thus is still rising. Or am I missing something?
I mean, of course you are going slower the closer you get to your true Elo... and if it wouldn't be for fluctuation of skill (incl. the one of teammates) and discrete steps towards your Elo, you'd theoretically never reach it, as your average LP won per game will be lower and lower (as your chance to win approaches 50%)

Tortferngatr

09-11-2013

Hmm.

Question: If a queue "dies" (loses too many people to sustain critical player mass for quick matchups), would you consider it worthwhile to revive it?

I'm asking because Draft Dominion queue has been a ghost town for about a year now.

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-11-2013
4 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Die Obid View Post

The part where their are players doomed to not be able to play again kinda feelt a bit harsh :/

I know they are toxic people but what if they have changed? Just a question not saying that there shouldn`t be a punishment for toxic players but still, i fell the empathy.

Long ago, toxic players who genuinely wanted to reform and could demonstrate their honesty were offered a second chance. I don't remember the specific details, but it had an extremely high failure rate (~95%) and we discontinued it.

iainB85

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Exekias View Post
Q6: Why is duo queuing allowed?

While duo queuing can create less than ideal situations in matchmaking, the vast majority of our players actually prefer to play with their friends. While we have to be cognizant of this fact, we are also working on improving this experience for solo queuers.
I really question whether this is actually true. I'd love to see an official Riot poll to keep or remove duo queues in solo queue ranked games.

TheRealRoDenT

09-11-2013

Matchmaking is extremely broken atm. I'm high plat 1 that will get a range of diamond 3 players to silver 1 players.

Usually occurs most often when there is a duo present. Atleast when it makes an error I'll only get -2 or -3. But its not fun when you earned the right to play high lvl games, and you get matched with players at gold lvl skill lvl. In game I sit at 150 cs while next person has 70. Just kinda is frustrating to have these errors in matchmaking.

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-11-2013
5 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ackLunch View Post
Still think its odd, someone with an unimpressive w/l ratio like myself (who is also level 25),

Yet during PST prime time I would say every 4-5 matches or so I will get matched with several silver/gold/plat players in ARAMS or Normals.

Just a weird system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAsian View Post
Is normal game MMR = ranked game MMR? If I won 20 games in a row in normals does that affect my MMR in ranked?
To answer both questions at once, you have a separate MMR for each queue. 5ackLunch, you might be seeing Silver/Gold/Plat players because you've done better than they have in that particular queue.

milktree

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsmph View Post
Does matchmaking change when you are on your series?
Because I swear the people I get for my series are always so much worse then when im climbing normally
Also, what are your thoughts on making 100 LP harder to get but then removing division qualifiers?
100% True

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-11-2013
6 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam D Smith View Post
...and my reason for doing so was the stupid border around my summoner on the loading page...
We actually ran a few studies on how having a border impacted toxicity. To quote Lyte: "Players with ‘lower’ border colors did not receive any additional harassment or reports compared to the players with higher border colors in the same game."

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

So how exactly are premades worked out?
Do you add up all their mmr and add some more to compensate for them knowing each other?

Also, why cant i know if there are premades on my team before the loading screen, i should have the right to dodge them if i want.

Purgatory Ace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

I am a player that has never been warned/suspended/banned in my entire time playing league, both normals and ranked.

What about having a Normal Q option where there is no punishments for acting how you want? The amount of players who are toxic are low as per the numbers you give and from my own personal findings in games. However this would give that small number of toxic players (and players having a bad day) a place to go to let loose. No report button would be enabled for this mode as to not clog the system with reports, players chose to Q for this mode and there for know ahead of time what they are getting into.

I am aware that this does not help with reform which Riot is all for, bettering the community as a whole. However it does have the potential to reduce toxicity from Neutral/Positive players in other modes. Will Q times be long for this danger zone mode? Probably, but i feel like someone who wants to go off/rage will probably be willing to wait in order to keep their account in good standings.

Just a thought.