Matchmaking FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teraxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by universe within View Post
@Riot Exekias, can you tell me how this is fair? Taken from this thread I made earlier: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3854082

My promotion series to diamond begins at 97 LP and if I lose one game I lose series.

So this is how it works. I win several games which give me +X and puts me at 97LP. So we'll call that series of wins and losses to reach 97 LP the first match of my series. The second match gives me +1 putting me at 98. The third gives me +1 putting me at 99. Now at 99 I have to win 1-3 times since I can end up getting +0 three times in a row, meaning I need to win 4-6 games to get into my promotion series.

Now here is the good part. If I lose a single game after reaching 97 LP, it will give me -3 LP. Which means if I lose at 99 LP I'm going back down to 96 LP meaning I need to win 3 more games in a row to make up for my single loss. This means that I need to win 4-6 matches in a row to reach my real promotion series, and if I lose a single game in that winning streak I need to win 3 more to make up for it. If I am extremely unlucky and lose 2 in a row... well then you figure it out.

So all that we can call my first promotion series. To sum this up:my first promotion series requires a 4-6 game winning streak with a single loss canceling my series. After this I go into my real series where I need to win 3 out of 5 matches.

tl;dr:This means that in order to promote to diamond I need to win up to 6 matches in a row, and then 3 more wins with only two losses available after I win 6 in a row. If I take a loss during the initial 6 win streak required I have to add 3 more wins in a row to that streak to reach series.
It is fair. Learn about mmr and clamping.

5ackLunch

09-11-2013

Still think its odd, someone with an unimpressive w/l ratio like myself (who is also level 25),

Yet during PST prime time I would say every 4-5 matches or so I will get matched with several silver/gold/plat players in ARAMS or Normals.

Just a weird system.

I would rather wait in the queue and extra 60 seconds then get stuck playing with plat/gold players at level 25.

The amount of teamwork/effort these players put out compared to sub-30 players isn't a fair match. (Some people I get matched with I am surprised they can operate the LoL launcher let alone the game)

edit: While I do enjoy the laning phase of playing with higher ranks as it presents a challenge, the group fight portion is just embarrassing watching my team dive into 1 vs 3's etc..

EveAsian

09-11-2013

Is normal game MMR = ranked game MMR? If I won 20 games in a row in normals does that affect my MMR in ranked?

ButterflyPuwn

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Exekias View Post
Q6: Why is duo queuing allowed?

While duo queuing can create less than ideal situations in matchmaking, the vast majority of our players actually prefer to play with their friends. While we have to be cognizant of this fact, we are also working on improving this experience for solo queuers.
Then why stop at duo queues? Why not 3-man queues or 4-man queues? The fact is that the same problems match maker encounters for 3-man queues or 4-man queues are also present for duo queues. Just because the problem isn't as exaggerated doesn't make it okay to have.

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-11-2013
2 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTreeSpock View Post
This is pretty cool, thanks a lot. Although I think it would be to everyone's benefit if this were made a sticky thread for a while.
Working on it, but my forum power level is not high enough to do this.

Xedrox

09-11-2013

Quote:
Working on it, but my forum power level is not high enough to do this.
what is the true point of this thread? can we expect some changeS?

Farranor

09-11-2013

Quote:
Q1: Does ELO Hell exist?

Based on our data and analysis, the answer is no. However, that does not mean that the pain many of our players feel is invalid. Many players feel that, through no fault of their own, they are stuck in a situation where they can no longer progress. And there are several key factors that can heavily contribute to this feeling. The first of these is that when we take a look across all games, most players actually require about 150 to 300 games to reach their true matchmaking rating. This means that for many players, what feels like an unsurpassable wall may end up being just a small road bump.
A phenomenon can exist without being experienced by everyone. If a player spends 20, 30, or 50 matches being repeatedly stuck with trolls, AFKers, feeders, and people who don't know what turrets do, they are in elo hell.

Elo hell isn't something that prevents pro players from getting out of Bronze. It's a persistent string of unpleasant matches, where a player feels like they were held back by their team. Since LoL is a team game, bad teammates can really bring a team down.

This thread reminds me of that post about how the new League system is a success because your data say so, even though it causes frequent frustration (generally due to uneven LP clamping).

Stez007

09-11-2013

Elo hell does exist, though. It's not tied to any specific elo, but to a player's actual skill level.

What players call "elo hell" is the point in their skill progression where they are good enough at the game to win even-skill games normally (ie by winning or going even in lane and being strong teamfighters/splitpushers) and carry games against lesser skilled players and trolls, but they are not good enough to carry trolls and weaker players on their own teams. This can happen at any division and in any tier, from Bronze 5 all the way to Diamond 1. It affects players that climb quickly the least and players that climb slowly the most, particularly in terms of LP; consequently, it feels most prevalent in division 1s where LP gains tend to slow down considerably and promotion series' are longer and more difficult to complete.

It does exist, it's just not static; it comes at a different point for all players, but every single player save the best of the best will experience it at some point. No one get's that much better at the game overnight.

Serkaidemor

09-11-2013

Are you guys ever going to add a "I don't want to be matched with duos" option?

rExekias

Game Design Intern

09-11-2013
3 of 11 Riot Posts

Catching up, still working on that sticky.

EDIT: Should be up now