Trying my hand at a Soraka rework

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inciflahrdus

09-11-2013

FalkorsRaiders: I agree with everything that Samizul written about your iteration.

Taking your assumptions, my iteration of her abilities. It is without most numbers, but i think it make Soraka more of a "Playmaker" like modern supports (Lulu, Nami, Thresh) and give great amount of interactions between both allies and foes. I hope someone will find something from here interesting.Explenations in italic.

Passive
- Consecration:
Allies hit by Sorakas abilities have increased Armor and MR by X for Y seconds. Stacks for up to Z times.
Something like Graves passive. Not brave enough to toss numbers. Just longer Soraka is in battle, the more tanky her allies become (and less tanky enemies are - synergy with Q).
OR
- BananaOP:
Sorakas basic attacks stun the target for 0,5 sec. 8 seconds CD, reduced by 1 second for each spellcast(or basic attack).
Mini-stuns to help in cluth situations / annoy the enemy by distrupting lasthitting. Now even oom soraka can do something else than dying.

Q - Starcall
I am pretty against removing or totally remodelling this skill 'cause i think it's great, so changes are not so advanced.
Changes:
1. When casted on self it has LIVE effect. When casted on enemy champion, it damages only him for same dmg but have longer range.
Rather self-explenatory. It still can be aoe shred/waveclear, but gains flexibility to be more safer poke without distrupting the lane.

2. It shreds both Armor and MR by flat amount. Max potency halved, but need only 5 stacks to max.
Addresing both problems with reaching impactful shred and doing nothing for physicall dmg dealers.

3. Both above cases togheter would enforce slitghly longer cd and higher starting mana cost (along with lower mana cost increase at later ranks).
Current Q is ridicoulus mana-efficient on low ranks but great cost increase on later ranks is not compenaste enough by skill stats.

W - Astral blessing
Vector skillshot, starting at targeted ally unit. Targeted unit is healed for moderate amount and a bolt of energy is fired from them. Bolt slow all enemies it pass by and grant additional heal to original target for each enemy champion struck.
Grants some "sure" heal but to get most of it you need to line up as much enemy champions as possible, allowing to have more power in teamfights when not overwhelming in lane. Additional slow make saving targets more plausible. Can slow distant champs like lulu E+Q combo. And of course much more interactions between players.

E - Infuse (name change into Sanctuary): Now cost mana, but Soraka is no longer excluded from its effects
Ground targeted skill to immediately create an "Infused" circle for 3 sec. Enemies inside it are silenced, but if they leave it before it expires they take some dmg. Allies inside have granted huge MP5 boost and bonus tenacity.
Now "no-brainer" skill become playmaker when retaining its functions. In lane: can be used to zone out enemies, they chose to take dmg reducing silence time or be silent for full duration; still give mana to allies but are tied to one area for this time, being easier to hit by skillshots/zoning themselves (depending where you place it); enemy cc are going for your carry/you? just place it under and be cc'ed less (CC immunity is just only for Morgana and Olaf and it should stay like this). In teamfights: follow-up CC or as just interrupt; also counterinitation reducing CC when you know something nasty will hit.

R - Wish:
1. Stay as it is
OR
2. Still global, but targeted on one friendly champion. An orbital lazor heal the target and created shockwave heal nearby allies.
Removing the "always everyone everywhere" part give space to buff the heal. It has less "wasted power" when we want to rescue one guy, but also can be set to be a whole team heal in clustered teamfights.

Samizul

Champion Designer

09-11-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkorsRaiders View Post

Soraka's ultimate should remain untouched and unchanged
One of Soraka's abilites needs to be able to heal target ally
One of Soraka's abilites needs to be able to give mana to her team
One of Soraka's abilites needs to be spammable/AoE
Soraka's passive needs to help her team, not herself

Things I want to change/remove will be listed here:

Soraka needs to lose the magic resist shred(with how magic pen works now, mr shred is nice, but ultimately holding back power she could have)
Soraka's heal needs to lessen the power of continual sustain, but reward clutch healing
Soraka needs a form of crowd control that is more then a silence (don't mind keeping silence, but may try some kits without it)
Soraka cannot have a move that costs 0 mana AND can be used for harass

There may be some room for negotiation on stuff, but this is how I want Soraka to end up. I love using Soraka, but as an AP mid laner. I don't want her there though, I main support. I want her down in the bot lane playing that Season 4 support game in an lcs match and Morello be completely okay with how she worked. Will that happen? I don't know, but I can hope and try as many times as I can.
Definitely don't constrain yourself on a per ability basis. Look at what she does overall, and decide if that is healthy. If it isn't, figure out how we can maintain the good parts of how it feels to play her while making her overall gameplay healthier.

For example, live Soraka is very sustainy. Sustain is something that leads to stagnant lanes as a lot of people have noted, so we probably want to remove that. We don't want her lane partner to have infinte mana, but it can be fun to go into lane with a heavy caster ADC and let them cast a ton more spells. So we could make Infuse reduce the ally's next spellcast by some amount, and maybe add a bit of damage to that cast. That way it becomes reactive rather than sustainy, and Soraka will feel even further like she's empowering her allies. There's also more counterplay - enemies can see the buff go down on the ADC, so they know the next cast should be particularly avoided.

There are problems with this ability (how does the enemy learn anything about this spell works?) but it's an example of how you could maintain the feel of a spell/character while removing bad gameplay.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

I don't care at all about the mana sustain, mana isnt on every champion, even if metagame has drawn bot lane into a support and marksmen only lane, and all marksmen have mana so far, it shouldn't be designed to work within the meta.

They could dump that whole interaction and focus on something else, health sustain is enough, and there are items for mana sharing, if it is worthwhile...

Needles K

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samizul View Post
For example, live Soraka is very sustainy. Sustain is something that leads to stagnant lanes as a lot of people have noted, so we probably want to remove that.
I disagree. Sustain being too strong can lead to stagnant lanes, but sustain is necessary in order to give champions different power curves. If it is simply impossible for a late-game champ to survive an assault from an early-game champ even with another champion 100% dedicated to helping them do so, that is a problem. Sustain is one strategy among many, and Soraka is a cornerstone of that strategy. Rather than sustain being waved away (which, Sona is better at it anyway), what needs to happen is that it is strong in its niche but there are other strategies that can counter it.

Lailu

09-11-2013

Quote:
This seems like a well written post Falkor. I've got a couple points of feedback. I'll go ability by ability rather than talking about the entire kit since one of your goals is obviously to not change her playstyle much from live.
My suggestions which unfortunately would probably kill Soraka mid, but I would like to see a Soraka kit that isn't as squishy, and offers more utility but reduces the strong heal on w. It's super rough draft, only spent like 15 minutes on it but it's fun thinking through some of the possibilities.

Starcall (Q):

Bring stars from the heavens which briefly illuminate an area for 1 second.

Friendly units hit will be healed for (10/25/40/55/70).

Enemy units hit will have magic and armor shred for (5/10/15/20/25) for 5 seconds. This effect can stack multiple times.

Range: 850
Cooldown: 2.5 seconds

Astral Blessing (W):

Blesses a friendly unit, restoring health (40/80/120/160/200) and granting bonus armor/mr (20/30/40/50/60) for 5 seconds.

Range: 750
Cooldown: 15 seconds

Infuse (E):

When cast on ally restores 10% of total mana and grants a boost to Movement Speed(10/20/30/40/50) and Attack Speed(5%/10%/15%/20%/30%).

When cast on an enemy unit silences the target for 2 seconds and deals magic damage (50/100/150/200/250)

Cooldown: 10 seconds
Range: 725
Cost: 20 mana

Wish (R):

This ability feels good, and is classic Soraka. I don't really feel like many changes are needed.

Passive:

Not sure how I would change it but I agree with the Samizul that it could be better.

Base Stats:
Increase Base Health
Increase Base Movement Speed

Summary

Faster cast heal but less effective, on flip side it is more of a team fight engage buff.

Starcall doesn't feel right currently. A super squishy character who is the archetypical healer is encouraged to run up into battle to starcall people. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me

My suggested Starcall will help more for team fights with very small chunks of heals and helped your team do more damage by shredding the enemy teams defenses.

It also adds extra utility with vision in bushes perhaps.

The infuse may not grant as much flat mana but scales better for higher mana champions. It also buffs a teammate, and is no longer free to use against enemies. The free harass always seemed a bit cheap to me.

InverseChirality

09-11-2013

I would love if Soraka became viable to use in a APC+Support lane rather than a ADC+Support lane. It's obviously not likely, but it seems like a cool possible inversion of the meta-game.

Giving mana to your allies is an awesome possibility to go this route.

Giving additional damage to your allies' abilities is also an awesome possibility....

But how do they get combined in a way that works?

Telvarin

09-11-2013

This thread got me thinking about a way to rework Soraka, but keep her identity. This is what I've come up with. I'm leaving out numbers so we can just focus on the mechanics and stuff. Anyway, here goes.

Passive: Every few spellcasts, Soraka heals all allied champions nearby for a % of their health. Increases to be stronger late game.

Reasoning: Soraka's current passive has no interaction or gameplay, and doesn't feel like anything is happening. With this new passive, her healer identity remains intact, and hopefully creates more interesting gameplay for her. I know the counter thing might be alot to keep track of along with map awareness, but I feel that this effect isn't as impportant as a slow could be, and it would make Soraka players have more to think about than just waiting for your carry to lose health so you can heal them.

Q: Starcall. Calls down stars to strike enemies in an area. Deals damage (+AP), and applies a stacking armor reduction debuff.

The way it's cast is exactly the same, but instead applies an armor debuff instead of magic resist. It makes her being with a marksman more meaningful because it makes them deal more damage with that thing they love to do, auto attack. Magic resist reduction never made alot of sense to me here. I'd leave the cooldown relatively the same, as this would be one of the ways she'd easily stack up her passive. Short cooldown

W: Astral Blessing/Star's lament

On ally cast: Soraka replenishes an ally's health for a %(+AP) of their max health, and replenishes some of their mana. If Soraka casts it on herself, the heal is increased, but she does not gain mana. Maybe it also grants armor, but if it did I feel it would be doing too much for the ally. The fact that she doesn't gain mana from it might be confusing at first, but hopefully it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Short/Moderate cooldown

On enemy cast: Soraka blasts an enemy with star energy, dealing damage (+AP) and silencing them for a short time.

Reasoning: Okay, now hear me out on this one. This change is intended to make the W key more decision based. One thing Soraka's kit lacks currently is choice. With this change, Soraka may choose to heal that ally with that ezreal Q flying towards their face, or silence that silly Kassadin from running away, but not both. This change hopefully would have a definite best use, based on what the situation was. I'd lower the cooldown than what is on live to something in the 10 second range, but reduce the heal by alot, not quite as low as Sona's heal, but not as high as Nami's.

E: Celestial Glow: Soraka calls upon the light of the stars to blast targets in a line, dealing damage (+AP) and blinding them for a short time. Moderate cooldown

Reasoning: I considered putting a slow, stun or some form of cc on this slot, but one of the things I feel is part of the identity of Soraka is that she has no crowd control. I thought about her star theme and came to a blind. I picture it having a cast time similar to Lucian's Q, but a bit shorter and wider. This fits with her theme as the star caller, but doesn't shift her identity to something she's not.

R: Wish: HEALS ALL THE DUDES.
I'd leave this pretty much unchanged.

So, what do you guys think? Broken? Unusable? Does this sound like something Soraka could do?

EDIT: I wanted to inject more opportunities for Soraka to be skillful (thus the skillshot), rather than be a health and mana battery for her adc.

FabulousJeremy

09-11-2013

I like the OP's ideas but I think it'd be better if the W and E were changed a bit. I'd rather her E be spammable to allies near soraka, kind of like live Starcall. It'd make way more sense for her to give buffs progressively to her team rather than just being an aegis of sorts, and this takes out the question of aiming it. Also, don't make her W heal more for an ally taking damage. Like Samizul said, it's just plain not healthy design. Rather, making her W give a minor buff (like maybe some AD/AP) could work for the combat orientation idea you suggested.

FalkorsRaiders

09-11-2013

I read what other people wrote, and I think a lot of good ideas are popping up that are helping Riot with kit ideas for Soraka.

Quote:
Definitely don't constrain yourself on a per ability basis. Look at what she does overall, and decide if that is healthy. If it isn't, figure out how we can maintain the good parts of how it feels to play her while making her overall gameplay healthier.

For example, live Soraka is very sustainy. Sustain is something that leads to stagnant lanes as a lot of people have noted, so we probably want to remove that. We don't want her lane partner to have infinte mana, but it can be fun to go into lane with a heavy caster ADC and let them cast a ton more spells. So we could make Infuse reduce the ally's next spellcast by some amount, and maybe add a bit of damage to that cast. That way it becomes reactive rather than sustainy, and Soraka will feel even further like she's empowering her allies. There's also more counterplay - enemies can see the buff go down on the ADC, so they know the next cast should be particularly avoided.

There are problems with this ability (how does the enemy learn anything about this spell works?) but it's an example of how you could maintain the feel of a spell/character while removing bad gameplay.
For future iterations, I will definitely keep this in mind. I am also rethinking about the "giving mana" mechanic. While cool, I am starting to find out the mechanic of giving mana is limiting what Soraka could do as a healer, but it is one of the unique things Soraka has, and I am reluctant to let go of it. With all that said, here is another rework that I got done that adheres to what I said before:

Infuse (Passive)- Every time a champion's ability is used near Soraka (not counting Soraka's abilities), she gains a charge of Infuse. When she has 7 stacks of Infuse, her next spell causes allies within 1000 range to regenerate 7% of their maximum mana, excluding Soraka. Infuse has a cooldown of 10 seconds.
(The wording isn't the best, but the idea behind this is after 7 spells are used near Soraka, she is able to cast a spell and nearby allies gain mana. I based the idea off if Maokai's passive Sap Magic, but tried to keep the idea of a passive that helps teammates. The 10 second cooldown is so teams that consist of spammy champs can't break the mechanic, such as ezreal or lee sin.)

Starcall (Q)- Soraka summons a shower of stars to fall from the sky upon target allied or enemy champion (including self). Enemy champions in the area of the star fall take 70 / 110 / 150 / 190 / 230 (+50% AP) magic damage and are slowed by 35% for 1.25 seconds.
Mana Cost: 70 / 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 mana
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Range: 700
(The ability is a target based point and click, and has the AoE of the star fall the size of Lux's Lucent Singularity. The animation for casting, as well as the stars coming down is the same as the original Starcall animation. The slow starts when the enemy takes damage.)

Astral Blessing (W)- Soraka blesses a friendly unit, restoring 60 / 125 / 190 / 255 / 320 (+40% AP) health. Additionally, if the target is hit by an enemy auto attack or spell in the next 3 seconds, the enemy is silenced for 1.5 seconds.
Mana Cost: 80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 mana
Cooldown: 18 seconds
(I kept the reduced heal to keep a shorter cooldown and a slight mana cost reduction at later levels from my last iteration. I decided to keep the theme of if you hit the target of the heal, something happens, and decided to try and put the silence here instead of a second heal. Only the first enemy auto attack or spell gets the user silenced in this iteration, but maybe any enemy who hits the target in that duration is silenced could be used instead, but using a 1 second silence. The silence only occurs during the first instance of damage to the target.)

Consecration (E)- Soraka sends out a cone of celestial energy. Enemies hit by the wave take 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+40% AP) magic damage. Allies hit by the cone take 10% reduced damage from enemy champions for 3 seconds.
Mana Cost: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 mana
Cooldown: 2.5 seconds
Range: 600 Cone
(I decided to drop the ramp up of armor from the last iteration and just focus on it reducing damage for allies in one go. The ability is still spammy and a cone.)

Wish (Ultimate)- Soraka restores 200, 320, 440 (+70% AP) health to all allies.
Mana Cost: 100 / 175 / 250
Cooldown: 160 / 145 / 130 seconds
Range: Global
(No changes from live)

The iteration above doesn't feel as awesome as I was hoping, but I still feel it does everything I want. I am going to definitely spend some time after this coming up with a kit that does what Soraka needs, not what Soraka wants. Also, as a bonus, I have a passive I wanted to share that wouldn't work with the above kit. Let me know what you think as always, and please keep the discussion going. For Soraka.

Star-struck (Passive)- Once every 8 seconds, Soraka's next auto attack that hits an enemy champion will silence them for 1.25 seconds.
(The silence will only prock upon hitting an enemy champion, so as to be able to last hit minions and monsters without using up the passive. A tell will be available in the form of stars around soraka's head when her auto has the silence ready for counter-play reasons.)

Zxithedead

09-11-2013

I don't have an idea for a whole kit, but I thought of a good idea for Astral Blessing.

Astral Blessing (W)- Soraka shields a friendly unit for 70 / 140 / 210 / 280 / 350 (+75%) for 10 seconds. Over the 10 seconds, the target gains 70 / 140 / 210 / 280 / 350 (+45%) life, reducing the shield for the same amount. Also grant bonus armor for 3 seconds (same as live).
Mana Cost: 80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 mana
Cooldown: 18 seconds

So basically, she shields the target, who gains life over time, depending on how much shields your ally can keep. Why? I feel like there is no answer to the heal in lane. You manage to get some good poke on your enemy, and suddenly he's full life. What the shield would do, is allow extra poke to reduce the healing the target receives. I think it would still feel good to use in lane though, you can just hang back to get the full healing effect, and if your marksmen gets jumped on, the shield will still be very useful.

The healing is the same as what is live, but the shield has a higher scaling. Why? I never feel like Soraka has any sort of use during mid-late game. You just can't heal enough to be useful. You might keep someone alive for .5 seconds, but that's pretty much all. Having a better shield might make her feel somewhat better in teamfights, without making the heal OP in lane.

Then again, maybe the higher scaling on the shield isn't all that useful, and she could use more power elsewhere. But I don't have any really good ideas for her other spells. Starcall would need to be completely redesigned to make any kind of sens on a support(and frankly, I kind of like it as it is). I feel like Infuse is a really big part of her identity, and it doesn't need to be any more powerful than it already is. Wish is fine as it is.

Her passive could use some work, it never really feels like it's there. Just for the sake of throwing ideas around, maybe it could give double value if for ally under 50% HP, scale with level. Or maybe give (random number) 50 MR(and/or armor) for 5 seconds on friendly target that she targets, so that it could be combined with Astral Blessing, Infuse and Wish.

12345678 ... 9