A shot at Riot?

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MuffinJunkie

Junior Member

09-11-2013

Hi there,

I'm just another teenager in his last year of High School with no sweet clue on what to do with his life and very few passions to pursue. I admire the work that Riot does especially under all the pressure of needing to please such a huge online community and league of legends is one thing I am actually interested in in my everyday life. As sad as that sounds you're supposed to do something that interests you right? So as unlikely as it may be one of my few ideas on what to do with my life has been work for riot and help improve a game that I love. I'm not set on working for riot because of the slim chance I would have of actually accomplishing that goal but if it were to happen I think the amount of joy and relief I would get from working there would be overwhelming to say the least. I read on a post somewhere that Riot had accepted two interns during the summer and of all the people that must have applied that's a very small number. I guess the reason I'm saying all of this is because I really want to know one thing. If I worked extremely hard towards the goal of working for riot (in whatever department that would end up being) what do all of you think my chances might be of someday achieving that goal? I'm more or less expecting a "You never know until you try" sort of situation but maybe someone has some sort of clue.

Thanks


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QQMoreFailures

Member

09-11-2013

I'm pretty sure they have an intern program that is strictly for students in school, not entirely sure on if it's still running or when it will be. I'd look around and see, I do recall coming across it though. Riot is a company, to work for any company you need to offer them something and have what they are looking for. Study hard, get good grades, go get some degrees in related stuff that you are interested in that applies to the field you wish to work in. A job is a job, it's not like you are asking to become president. Then I'd tell you that you most likely stand no chance. So just look into it more, figure out what department interests you. Goodluck.


Edit: found it for you.

http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20...interns-wanted


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwoPacalypse

Senior Member

09-11-2013

Go. To. College.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MuffinJunkie

Junior Member

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQMoreFailures View Post
I'm pretty sure they have an intern program that is strictly for students in school, not entirely sure on if it's still running or when it will be. I'd look around and see, I do recall coming across it though. Riot is a company, to work for any company you need to offer them something and have what they are looking for. Study hard, get good grades, go get some degrees in related stuff that you are interested in that applies to the field you wish to work in. A job is a job, it's not like you are asking to become president. Then I'd tell you that you most likely stand no chance. So just look into it more, figure out what department interests you. Goodluck.


Edit: found it for you.

http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20...interns-wanted
I appreciate the help and encouragement. Looking through the FAQ it seems as though I'd need to make something of a name for myself. I could easily try to do so but actually making it happen might need a lot of hard work and a little luck but I'll see what I can do. Thanks again


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QQMoreFailures

Member

09-11-2013

Think of it this way, if you wanna be a chef. What is the first step? Knowing how to cook. No one wants a chef that can't cook, same thing applies. Find something, work towards it, learn it and apply You are still in highschool, you got a lot of time to learn and figure things out. So if it's something you truly want, work towards it and best of luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lynchpin13

Senior Member

09-11-2013

Frankly your chances would not be very high, you never want to put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding work. If you study and still don't get a job at riot will you want to work for relatively low pay for a small company or would you want to work on a product that you have little personal desire to play? The gaming biz is not easy work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MuffinJunkie

Junior Member

09-11-2013

Quote:
Think of it this way, if you wanna be a chef. What is the first step? Knowing how to cook. No one wants a chef that can't cook, same thing applies. Find something, work towards it, learn it and apply You are still in highschool, you got a lot of time to learn and figure things out. So if it's something you truly want, work towards it and best of luck.
That's a great way of looking at it but it's still risky, learning what to do before I really start working at it could help me make a choice though so it's definitely something to consider getting into.

Quote:
Frankly your chances would not be very high, you never want to put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding work. If you study and still don't get a job at riot will you want to work for relatively low pay for a small company or would you want to work on a product that you have little personal desire to play? The gaming biz is not easy work.
I'm perfectly aware of how risky aiming so high can be especially considering failing to achieve that particular goal can lead to some major issues like having nowhere else I really want to go. If I did decide to really try to get a job at riot I think I would definitely go in with a back-up plan.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

09-11-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

My biggest suggestion to you, and to anyone else for that matter aiming for that "perfect job" is to find what you're passionate about. Once you find that, you'll have a much easier time working towards learning everything you can about your career.

For example, when I started college, I knew I wanted to do something related to computer programming, so I joined the Computer Science department, working towards a degree. About two years in, I discovered a club on campus that focused on network security and telecommunications. After hanging out with this group for a few weeks, I realized "this is what I want to do as my career."

Since I found that, everything about preparing myself for the "real world" has just been applying my passion to learning anything related to Infosec. That was the best part too, I loved what I was doing, so applying any free time I had was easy.

Once you have that foundation of drive to learn, skill, and passion for your trade, you can apply for anywhere you'd like to work. Don't pigeonhole yourself into a single company though, find lots of different places that would fit you well as an employee of your trade. It's all about showing that you're loving what you do, and that you're constantly improving.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adam D Smith

Senior Member

09-11-2013

What if you aren't passionate about anything?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iNecropheliac

Junior Member

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam D Smith View Post
What if you aren't passionate about anything?
You'll realize what it is soon enough. If not, sometimes later in life. Everyone has a passion.


12