Matchmaking FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Neato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

Wouldn't it make more sense to only allow duo queuing among two players with similar MMR?

Adam D Smith

09-11-2013

So I made a smurf, this account actually -don't hate, participate!- and my reason for doing so was the stupid border around my summoner on the loading page. Didn't really want ppl 2 b judging me on past accomplishment ya know? But now I'm ****in raged at every game for not being good enough for the unranked mmr I am at. I try my best but I am stuck at support because I can't cs well enough for other roles. My question dear Riot employee is this: If you call it un-ranked why are there ANY rankings(even if they aren't shown you can tell by the border around your teammates)? If I wanted to be put in a game with people around my own skill level or what riot thinks my skill level is I would play ranked. Abolish blind and draft MMR and let everyone play with everyone, it will teach the worse players how to play better and it will force the good players to compensate for the bad ones making them better as well.

Maelious

09-11-2013

Do you believe in magic?

A Giant Boulder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxE8wTbYJs8
I don't know if you have seen this but he talks about how one of the reasons people rage, go on tilt etc is that we place significance on individual games instead of the overall picture. Why do we have a system that artificially places importance for us (promotions) and just increases the odds of players being frustrated and reacting poorly. This is a far cry from the original intention of promotion series being fun and rewarding.

EveAsian

09-11-2013

Tighten up your MMR restrictions. I'd rather not play a game than play against someone 5 tiers above me in a promo match. K Thx. Send me a little note when there are no players my level available and I can go play a normal game instead.

Dues Pater

09-11-2013

what about players who duo with players not even in there league!? my last ran game had a gold 2 duo with a bronze. The guy fed so bad i checked him up on lolnexus and found out during game he was in bronze and duo'd with ahri.

Zastie

09-11-2013

Rating players entirely on what their win % is a pretty dumb idea for starters...

Also, promotional matches are the stupidest thing ever for this ranked system, you can't rate someone on 3/5 matches and have someone either rise or fall from the luck of the draw.

Ophirr

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Exekias View Post
Permanently banned players who make smurfs are quickly banned again. A permanent ban means that unfortunately, we feel that there is no place for you in our game.
Huh. Not that this applies to me luckily, but in the off chance that a perma ban makes a smurf and actually acts reformed, is the smurf still banned?

TrulyBland

09-11-2013

Does your data only debunk the "inescapable" Elo Hell, or also the "slow" Elo Hell?

If there is really a higher rate of steamrolling-games (as frequently complained about) then there'd be a higher "randomness" of winning or losing a game. And since more randomness means less impact by personal skill it'd sort of move your winrate closer to 50% (from whichever way).

If you want, I can even show some maths to illustrate how this would happen.

I've always assumed that the complaint of slowing down the progress seemed plausible (though it's questionable how large the effect is), but I don't have any data to back it up (EUNE Gold Player). Did you look at how long it took people to progress through certain brackets?

Mr Neato

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophirr View Post
Huh. Not that this applies to me luckily, but in the off chance that a perma ban makes a smurf and actually acts reformed, is the smurf still banned?
He's saying they're banned on their smurf because they are toxic. A player who was permabanned is likely to be toxic on any account they're playing. They're not being banned because they have a permabanned account, but because they are toxic.