Trying my hand at a Soraka rework

First Riot Post
12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FalkorsRaiders

09-11-2013

The other day I saw the thread on Soraka, and saw Morello and Xelnath posting on it. Soraka was my first support, and became the reason I main supports today, and to see the community and Riot talk about her problems and solutions were nice to see. Here's the link to that amazing thread: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...05177#41405177

On his first post, Morello said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
So, then, with that in mind what should be done? Truth be told, I'm unsure. What do you guys think, understanding the different considerations on healers we have for League?
After seeing that, I decided to try my hand at reworking Soraka. I am trying to update her kit to compete with other supports in the meta while also keeping the core of being a healer. Here is my first draft of an updated kit:

Consecration (Passive)- Ally champions and units within 1000 range of Soraka gain 16 magic resistance.
(No changes from live)

Starcall (Q)- Soraka summons a shower of stars to fall from the sky upon target allied or enemy champion (including self). Allied champions in the are of the star fall restore 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 mana over 2 seconds. Soraka does not gain mana from Starcall. Enemy champions in the area of the star fall take 70 / 110 / 150 / 190 / 230 (+50% AP) magic damage and are silenced for 1.25 seconds.
Mana Cost: 70 / 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 mana
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Range: 700
(Completely reworked the ability. The ability is a target based point and click, and has the AoE of the star fall the size of Lux's Lucent Singularity. I made the ability target based because of the fact it silences and gives mana, but could just be a regular AoE if people like it more. Took mana regeneration and silence from Infuse, but reduced the amount of mana and time of silence to compensate for the AoE.)

Astral Blessing (W)- Soraka blesses a friendly unit, restoring 60 / 120 / 180 / 240 / 300 (+35% AP) health. Additionally, if the target is hit by an enemy auto attack or spell in the next 3 seconds, they restore an additional 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+15% AP) health.
Mana Cost: 80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 mana
Cooldown: 18 seconds
Range: 750
(I reduced the heal initially and removed the armor bonus and compensated with a slightly lower cooldown, a slightly lower mana cost at later levels, and added the additional heal if they take damage, which increases the overall heal from the original.)

Celestial Embrace (E)- Soraka sends out a cone of celestial energy. Allies hit by the wave gain 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 armor for 5 seconds, and Soraka gains half the amount. This effect stacks up to 10 times. Enemies hit by the wave take 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+40% AP) magic damage. Additionally, every third cast of Celestial Embrace slows enemies by 40% for 1.5 seconds.
Mana Cost: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 mana
Cooldown: 2.5 seconds
Range: 600 Cone
(Completely new skill, removed Infuse. Kept spammability of old Starcall, but changed it from a centered AoE to a cone. Moved armor increase from old Astral Blessing for a ramped up version that can last longer. Removed magic resistance decrease in favor for a form of crowd control. When slow is available, a tell will be available to enemies/allies similar to the graphic of Annie's Pyromania.)

Wish (Ultimate)- Soraka restores 200, 320, 440 (+70% AP) health to all allies.
Mana Cost: 100 / 175 / 250
Cooldown: 160 / 145 / 130 seconds
Range: Global
(No changes from live)

So, what do people think? I plan on coming up with other iterations of kits Soraka could use, but would really like feedback so each iteration can be better then the last. I want to make a Soraka that lets me keep the fantasy and uniqueness that only she has, while at the same time giving her tools she needs in the current meta. Maybe you have ideas for how to tweak the current kit; maybe you have an idea on a new ability that could work; or maybe you think my idea is bad, let me know with a comment. I want to know, and make sure to leave criticism why as well so I can work on it.

FalkorsRaiders

09-11-2013

bump

FalkorsRaiders

09-11-2013

Thinking I might remove the silence all together and put a slow on it instead...

Samizul

Champion Designer

09-11-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

This seems like a well written post Falkor. I've got a couple points of feedback. I'll go ability by ability rather than talking about the entire kit since one of your goals is obviously to not change her playstyle much from live.

P - Why not change this? It's almost a free Aegis aura on a passive, which is really strong late game but doesn't come up a ton in lane. Personally, I find stats-only passives pretty flat, and they get even harder to feel the power when it's an aura, where the power has to be amortized over up to 5 champions, but as few as 1. This passive has always annoyed me because, while strong in certain situations, it's hard to feel and there isn't much play around it.

Q - AOE silence - scary! (though I'm working on an even scarier version of an AOE silence) I'm not sure why the mana regen is over time - you're reducing how powerful the spell feels because getting a chunk of mana is always more noticeable than even a ton of regen over time. The very brief duration is probably taking too much power off of it - you could probably afford to have it rank up from 1->2 seconds. Otherwise it seems cool. This ability does have the classic problem where you want to drop the AOE on both enemies and allies, which makes can make it feel like the player is never using it optimally, but I don't know that it's a total dealbreaker here - the original didn't have this problem because it was single target.

W - This is probably the most interesting ability, and it has some good and bad ideas. I like that you're going for a combat oriented heal. We try to give our heals some sort of combat utility so that their power is not just in the sustain, which is why her heal has armor on it. You've tried to solve this problem by making the heal bigger if the target is actively in combat, but your solution creates another problem. You're putting a buff on a character where, if the enemy attacks them, could actually heal more than the attack deals. Imagine a support Janna thinking she's helping by AA-ing a just-healed target (generally, a perfectly reasonable thing to do) but in this case her AA actually nets the target health. We try to create designs where enemies never feel punished by doing what is normally a correct choice.
I assume you want to remove the armor stats buff but still give combat utility, so maybe have the next AA or spell damage drastically reduced? Then Soraka could time her heals the way Janna times her shields, getting clutch "blocks" on incoming AAs or spells, and the enemy wouldn't ever feel bad for having attacked, because they still did some damage, and they can note that Soraka player timed her spell very well.

E - This has the "no optimal use case" issue even more so than the Q. I believe Karma had a similar spell which we removed from the game for similar reasons. I also don't think her kit can support a counting mechanic like Annie's because she also has to be constantly watching the map to help allies with her ult, and keeping track of both would be a bit much. You've also designed this as a spammable spell, but players are going to want to hold the slow version when it's available. Finally, having CC on an ability but not on demand can be frustrating, especially as a support who has to be very reactive. Only thing I like here is changing her spamming spell to something directional rather than AOE. What else do you think you could do here?

GLaD0S

09-11-2013

I actually think this rework could be very very fun. I like it.

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

This is so far from the direction I would go just from reading what you would have done to her Q.
I love Soraka's short cooldown on starcall. I love it so much that I probably wouldn't play her anymore if this skill got changed this way. Along with her ultimate, Q is really what makes Soraka feel like Soraka to me.
Building Rylai's and Liandry's on Soraka with that starcall is so tasty. :<
I really wouldn't mind if Riot reworked her in a way that shifted her more towards a mid champion.

I like your changes to W though. :3

I had a brief idea of my own after reading your kit, it could be a very bad idea, but whatever I'll just post it because I think it would be cool with the setup you have here.
It would be cool if her passive worked so that any of these skills hit an enemy it would apply a DoT, and if her skills hit allies it would heal them for a small base amount or HoT.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2013

Your feedback on W seems really silly...

What is a spellshield? The exact same thing? I'm punished for taking a normal action, am I not?

VermilionBunion

09-11-2013

Really nice, looks like she might be played ap more if this were to go through

IonDragonX

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkorsRaiders View Post
Astral Blessing (W)- Soraka blesses a friendly unit, restoring 60 / 120 / 180 / 240 / 300 (+35% AP) health. Additionally, if the target is hit by an enemy auto attack or spell in the next 3 seconds, they restore an additional 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+15% AP) health.
Mana Cost: 80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 mana
Cooldown: 18 seconds
Range: 750
(I reduced the heal initially and removed the armor bonus and compensated with a slightly lower cooldown, a slightly lower mana cost at later levels, and added the additional heal if they take damage, which increases the overall heal from the original.)
You know what would be fun? Taking the AP ratio off and having her heal scale off of her current mana pool. Would totally juggle her item choices, but in a good way.

Sty13z

09-11-2013

THIS IS NOT MY POST! I was so impressed by this person's ideas and creativity that I saved it on a Word Doc in order to repost the next time a Red jumped on the forums (Hi Samizul)

Soraka is my favorite champ. She was the first champ I bought a skin for, and my favorite to play early game. I love her! With that being said, she could stand to improve and I understand what you are saying about fixes.

I have played healers in all games that I have played, and I think Soraka needs some changes in order to make her competitive...but she can still fit the 'healer' role.

Here are the points I wanted to address:
1)I want her to be a dymanic healer that has options in single combat and in group combats:
- As it stands, in order to offset Soraka in lane she has long CD's on her heal. This is fine on a 1v1, 2v2...but makes her healing abilities useless in team fights. I want her healing to be dynamic and fun in both situations without being overpowered.

2)I want Soraka to reflect her lore.
- She is a healer, but fierce PROTECTOR when people are injured. Remember she cursed Warwick for his cruelty (early lore) and struck down enemies when Warwick was fighting (current lore). When those around her are hurting Soraka becomes aggressive, mama bear style, and I think that should be reflected in her kit.

3)I don't want to change Soraka's primary role.
- I think her role as support is unique and can be fun if it can be balanced within the game. I don't want her to change from a healer to a "support mage". I want her to feel passive, but have poke in lane that fits her, and adequate means to help as support along with being able to have some survivability on her own.

I am not a champion creator! I just have an idea, without numbers. I don't know how to balance with numbers to make the character work, just the basic concept.

Soraka Remake Concept:

Current Passive: Consecration. A static MR bonus buff. This seems out of place for her.

Remade Passive: "Bleeding Heart" As Soraka witnesses her allies taking damage this ability 'stacks'. Stacks are gained based on damage received by nearby allies and herself. This is the balancing tool for her heal.
* Out of combat and as time passes, stacks fall off.
* Casting her Heal uses her stacks and increases the heal.
* If she reaches max stacks while her heal is on CD, her heal is taken off CD. When she casts heal, this uses up her stacks and puts it back on CD. This ability has a ‘diminishing return’ after the first time reducing it by a %.

This fits with Soraka's mindset (as others around her are injured, she is empowered and strengthened). This also balances out her heal to make it so she isn't infinite sustain in lane (refer to the rework on her heal below). This passive weakens her heal in lane with 1 person (or when she is solo), but makes it so it is more available when there is a team fight (and a lot of damage is going on).

Key points of keeping this balanced: The amount of damage that amounts to a stack, how quickly the stacks fall off and how many stacks are the 'max'.

Current Q - Starfall: AOE Damage with stacking MR shred. This is Soraka's primary damage and an ability she can use to 'kinda' harass in lane. This ability is on a low CD.

Problems: I like the idea of this ability but I think it needs a QoL change to make it better for who Soraka is.

Remade Q - Starfall: AOE Damage with stacking MR Shred. Low CD. Major Change: If there is an Enemy Champion in range, this ability only hits champions. If there are no Enemy Champions in range, this ability will hit minions. This ability has an EMPOWERED effect discussed with the W ability.

Why this change? This will allow Soraka to poke in lane with this ability and not clear the ADC's minion wave. It focus's her attacks and allows for a bit more strategy/while cutting down a bit on her wave clear.

Current E – Infuse: Mana sustain, silence utility/damge ability. I personally like this ability, but think it doesn’t work with the new idea of Soraka.

Rework E – Star Light: Vision buff/Debuff with Empowered effect. Utility. Star Light is a Skill Shot ability that reveals the path, then at the end of the path bursts to reveal the area for a few seconds. Anyone struck the burst has their Armor/MR reduced and vision of them is granted.

While this ability is NOT on CD, it provides a slight Magic Regeneration Aura. This ability has an Empowered Effect.

Current W - Astral Blessing: Clutch Heal, gives a good amount of HP and a short Armor buff.
Concerns: The long CD which is used to help counter sustain play in lane, then makes her less useful in group fights when damage/action is intense. She will get 1 heal, maybe 2 heals in before the combat is over depending on how much CDR she has.

Rework W – Astral Blessing: Clutch Heal moderate CD. Generic: Astral Blessing is a weak heal and no armor buff, but increases the amount it heals based on the number of stacks Soraka has from “Bleeding Heart”. There is a discrepancy between the number of stacks (which require damage to be taken) and the amount healed, for a net loss. If you are spamming this ability, as a way to try and sustain in lane, you are going to have some mana issues and also not heal very effectively. As Soraka gets stacks and casts this ability (thus consuming them) it becomes a more mana effective spell.

This weakens her sustain while strengthening her clutch healing abilities.
ADDITIONALLY: If Soraka casts Astral Blessing on her target and they are stunned or slowed (OR when she has MAX stacks), they gain the heal and also a bonus to MR and Armor for a short duration. Also, Soraka becomes EMPOWERED.

EMPOWERED: When Soraka heals an ally in need (stunned or slowed), she becomes EMPOWERED and her next spell cast is stronger: Q Starfall OR E StarLight as an added effect.

Q- Starfall: Empowered to protect her ally, if the player casts Q while Empowered, it places ˝ max stacks of MR shred on all targets and deals increased damage on the first Q. This ability can only be used on champions (so that it is not accidently hit when minions are nearby and wastes it)

E- StarLight: Empowered to protect her ally, if the player casts E while Empowered, it has a PUSHBACK and slight slow effect in the direction of the skill shot. (this will help counter her lack of a silence for interrupting abilities)

I feel like this empowered mechanic works with the lore of Soraka, provides her with clutch abilities in tough situations and allows her to feel dynamic in team fights. Keep in mind her heal in a team fight might come off CD if she stays in the fray with her teammates allowing her to Empower a few spells. It also allows for counter play.

Current R: Wish: Huge Heal for Entire Party, global.
I don’t mind this ability. I just think it should heal more to those who are closer, then those who are across the map.

I am sorry this all was so long. I just love this character and really wanted to give some input. Sadly I bet no reds will read

12345 ... 9