Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Send Me Lewds

09-10-2013

Could she possibly get some kind of CC removal instead of Starcall? It clearly couldn't be too strong though.

Joseph Dom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
One option for soraka could be:
  • Remove her basic heal, but keep Wish
  • Replace it with: Fortitude - Grants the target 200 armor/mr for 3 sec. If the target is out of combat, increase their current health up to, but no higher than, 25% of their maximum health.

That would allow her to "save" champions under attack in combat and give her minor "you can do something extra before going back to base" style of sustain.

... but would Soraka players want something like that in exchange for say Starcall being stronger?
I don't like the 200 armor/mr because it does nothing for true damage I wouldn't be able to save my burning ally from those last few ignite ticks.

Shattered Clock

09-10-2013

So I think we've identified Soraka's main problems as such:

• She promotes poor gameplay because she can just "fix," an overly aggressive mistake
  • Very little aggressive interactions unless she builds tanky
  • Gives only short windows of player interaction while her heal is down
  • Is basically played as a battery in the support role

Did I miss anything?

Also the mana costs. Those things are STEEP.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

09-10-2013

Quote:
  • Replace it with: Fortitude - Grants the target 200 armor/mr for 3 sec. If the target is out of combat, increase their current health up to, but no higher than, 25% of their maximum health.

That would allow her to "save" champions under attack in combat and give her minor "you can do something extra before going back to base" style of sustain.
I don't know. You'd kind of have to rewrite Soraka's Lore to explain why she no longer heals, but instead stole Lulu's Wild Growth. You'd also make her lane pretty lackluster, as she can no longer heal in-combat. Her basic heal is the foundation of her character, personally.

Quote:
... but would Soraka players want something like that in exchange for say Starcall being stronger?
You'd have to define "stronger". Honestly, I don't think you CAN make Starcall stronger without harming the character that is Soraka.

I wonder if perhaps her heal was gated by something other than a cooldown or a mana cost would allow for healthier gameplay. If I ever manage to get a good hold on the brush, I make it my personal mission to auto-attack harass and Infuse silence, ducking in and out of the brush, until the enemy lane is so distracted by me, my Marksmen has chunked 3/4 of their health bars and they're hiding under their tower or begging for ganks. Perhaps this kind of play pattern can be reinforced somehow? Like how Taric gets his heal cooldown decreased by auto-attacking? Obviously not the exact same thing, but something to think about.

Super Explosion

09-10-2013

Quote:

Xelnath, think about it: Soraka players want to act through their allies.

Starcall being stronger damage is probably anathema to why I choose to play Support over Mage.

Knight of Zer0

09-10-2013

But would something like, +25ar/mr at level 1 really be that impactful in a fight in comparison to being able to at least heal someone even if its insignificant? I dont know what numbers we are looking at here 1-5. The idea itself sounds fun but could potential barely negate half an auto around the time someone like Draven is ripping your face off.

HuFOHr9aGj

09-10-2013

Quote:
I am imagining that as a rank 5 version of her current heal at its current tuning.
give me some feedback on here :T ?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3847624

changing up her heal and opening more ways for agression while mantaining a defensive role (more leaning towards against magic damage) in a more active way as well.

the numbers there are still off, but it's just a hint of direction proposed.

* ps : your idea of giving armor is either too weak or too strong (on laning or outside of it)

DrShroob

09-10-2013

Giving Starcall more power is scary.

What happens if AP Soraka becomes big again because of it? Free MR Shredding and a Silence, and a global heal scaled with AP? How annoying.

mertatron

09-10-2013

Quote:
I am imagining that as a rank 5 version of her current heal at its current tuning.

Morello spent an entire thread talking about why MMO style healing is disastrous for this game... and very likely it is at the root of a lot of MMO action failures too.

BTW, I played a Disc/Holy priest during the last half of Burning Crusade. The value I brought, relative to the skill I had in being a healer, was ridiculous. I think thats why a lot of people fall into the healer fantasy: most of them are ridiculously OP.

and if she would lose her w as a heal ... what could her Q be then ??? how would u see it ?

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

09-10-2013
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Xelnath, think about it: Soraka players want to act through their allies.

Starcall being stronger damage is probably anathema to why I choose to play Support over Mage.
And this is why Lulu is a better expression of support mechanically (both in terms of game health and game mechanics).