Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tolinar

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyvag View Post
More ideas on Soraka's healing abilities

4.Channel. Spend mana, pump out health.
Oh, I like this. What if Soraka's heal immobilized her and caused her to heal someone in range quite strongly over time? A channeled heal! Like many channeled skills, it could cost more and more mana to use over a long period. It would be targeted, non skill shot, and make Soraka's position important!

I think I really like it!

Mirage Night

09-10-2013

1. Turn the straight heal into a buff that is short duration that only applies a heal after the next attack. This make this slightly less reactive and more proactive. Keep it strong and keep it on a medium cool down. It keeps wish as the big clutch heal, but now makes soraka more agressive.

Make it so during the duration, ms is increase.

Also make it only able to be popped by aggressive champion attacks

Critkeeper

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolinar View Post
Oh, I like this. What if Soraka's heal immobilized her and caused her to heal someone in range quite strongly over time? A channeled heal! Like many channeled skills, it could cost more and more mana to use over a long period. It would be targeted, non skill shot, and make Soraka's position important!

I think I really like it!
You could make its mana cost like swain's ult. It goes up in mana cost and in power as time goes on, but it has a very long cooldown, so you can't just spam it to keep your ally topped off. But if you need to give your ally a font of health, and they can manage to last for a few seconds until it ramps up, then you can, though it will tax your mana pool.

On a side note I wonder if Morello is even reading any of these.

emTmyclipin2u

09-10-2013

This may sound weird but, what if Soraka's heal came from her health? AKA what if Soraka sacrificed her own HP to heal others? This would still allow her to heal her carries and be a sustain bot, but this sustain is now coming from somewhere. If you want to keep the carry from getting healed harrass the Soraka so that she can't spare the health. Change using e on enemies to restore health to herself, possibly with a form of cc, and you now have essentially a health based champion who sustains others rather than herself.

Other than her sustain mechanics, her passive is rather dated. Extra MR isn't extraordinarily helpful in a duo lane. Her q is a must keep to me, and doesn't really have any problems, other than it only shreds Mr, which is once again counter productive in an ad lane. Her ult is also really satisfying for those clutch across-the-map saves, which doesn't mean it has to be an aoe, just a global.

Knight Auditor

09-10-2013

It sounds like Soraka and Evelynn have something in common with regards to their impact on the game. They're both champions that fill very specific niches around which their identities to players revolve, but it just happens that they dramatically warp the game by their mere presence - if they're in a relatively 'strong' place, anyways. It reminds me a lot of the issues Blizzard had (probably still has, I don't know anymore) with balancing Paladin's in WoW. Paladin's had a distinct identity and a traditional core mechanic in their bubble, but Blizzard could never strike a satisfying balance with them because if Paladins were strong then their temporary invulnerability increased that strength by a factor of magnitude, and so instead they spent much of their time kept intentionally weaker to 'balance against their having bubble' and were ultimately dissatisfying and edged out by every other class whenever that philosophy prevailed.

As a Paladin player, I always wanted them to get rid of the bubble entirely and just make the class feel more powerful overall, but that sort of thinking isn't always popular among diehard fans, and I'd expect the same reaction if one were to rework Soraka's kit without dedicated healing, or Evelynn's without passive stealth. It's a quandary where satisfaction with the character's identity and satisfaction with the character's kit butt heads for priority.

mertatron

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Very doable if we take this direction - though I think this is what defines Soraka to players as well.
she can still kee her identity as a protector, as a healer .. but not just that.

I know people are never happy of changes .. people don't like changes .. people prefer to stay where they are coz even if it's bad, they know how bad it is and are comfortable with it. While if u change, u don't now where you'll be

u see that with everything in life .. "I don't like my job but I stay coz it may be worse elsewhere or just i might not find a new one so I hate my job but I stay" .. same with your boyfriend/ girlfriend .. or anything u do

but to me ... change is important, u need to change ... u need to evolve ... and if it's for a better thing in the end .. maybe people will yell ... but in the end, they'll start to fell better

look at karma ... u changed hr .. people complained a LOT ... but she got played in competitive play .. jungle karma of gambit gaming even helped won a game ... so people didn't like her new concept .. they missed old karma but in the end, she's better for the game. same should go with soraka

soraka lovers will say at first ... oooh she's not the same, I can't heal as much .. where's my starcall and so on ... but if she can do more, if she becomes better .. why not ? why not make her a real goddess .. not just a fallen dryad that can't even heal propery anymore :/

I mean .. someone talked about a soraka being usefull to counter draven ... well I don't agree .. draven deal TOO much damage early for a 20 sec heal to be really effective (especially at lvl 1 where it's a 70 hp heal on a 20 sec CD while draven has a a spining axe that deals easilly 50+ damage at lvl 1 on EACH hit)

as I always said .. she's not bad ... she's just outdated seeing how the game evolved.

StationaryObject

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Trynda View Post
You could make its mana cost like swain's ult. It goes up in mana cost and in power as time goes on, but it has a very long cooldown, so you can't just spam it to keep your ally topped off. But if you need to give your ally a font of health, and they can manage to last for a few seconds until it ramps up, then you can, though it will tax your mana pool.

On a side note I wonder if Morello is even reading any of these.
Oh I'm sure he's skimming them or someone else is.
Riot is 99% of the time watching these threads. Just because they don't talk or post in them, doesn't mean they aren't watching =P

Edit: On this note, I might be heading to bed. It's 2am PST and I have a performance at Noon ^^;

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

09-10-2013
14 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Very doable if we take this direction - though I think this is what defines Soraka to players as well.
One option for soraka could be:
  • Remove her basic heal, but keep Wish
  • Replace it with: Fortitude - Grants the target 200 armor/mr for 3 sec. If the target is out of combat, increase their current health up to, but no higher than, 25% of their maximum health.

That would allow her to "save" champions under attack in combat and give her minor "you can do something extra before going back to base" style of sustain.

... but would Soraka players want something like that in exchange for say Starcall being stronger?

Send Me Lewds

09-10-2013

I'm curious if you would change her heal to be based on a % of the missing health, that way Soraka players could make more "clutch" plays and feel more useful. And possibly do something with her E on ally champion cast. So many champs are manaless at this point it just feels bad with her E losing half it's use.

Edit: Shen'd by Xelnath

Coldmanj

09-10-2013

Quote:
sorakas heals do define her, but you forget she has 2 substantial heals. w and her ult. make her memorable for her ult, not her w.

Astral blessing should be a more sustain by small heals kind of spell, a little like sona but i would put the cooldown somewhere between nidalees heal and sonas.

also to be completely honest when I see someone pick soraka for my support when I am the Marksman I think more of having mana infused to me rather than her Heal. Soraka is the only one who can infuse you mana, not the only one who can heal. perhaps at the beginning of the game thats what people identified with when playing soraka but now Im not so sure.

I admit that sorakas heals are a large part of her identity and should remain. her single target heal should not be what ppl identify with though... Even if you have to force it, her ult is what ppl need to identify with