Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bérnkastel

09-09-2013

i'd kinda feel that grabbing the WoW priest class MAY be an okay example here, specifically in their new "atonement" healing. basically, wow has been fiddling around with having healers that also do damage, and in the priest's discipline tree lie abilities that give a %age of healing based on the damage the offensive spells do to an enemy. they still cant balance it right (either it's too good damage and healing or it's not enough and therefore no one uses it... you guys are great, the wow balancing team couldnt balance a scale it's actually why i switch games constantly). but i feel as if we can pick apart individual pieces of her kit, and put in the priest's aspect, she might have a bit more than one-dimensional play.

1. ulti. no problems with it. sevres its function as a clutch heal, sevres its function as a unique aspect.

2. infuse. kinda an issue. it's the key problem with her having such great sustain for allied champs. i'd say change infuse to instead give mana from raka to the allied champion. like it costs raka 50 mana to give them 70 mana or something like that. just something that doesn't make her a free mana well.

3. her heal. it's situational at best and inconvenient at worst. i'd say it could use a lower cd, esp if infuse gets a mana cost, but that it's okay. i say with my change to starfall, heal can be tweaked more to be more of a clutch heal.

4. starcall. this is the biggest problem. the problems with starcall range from the amount of lane pushing it does, the amount of cs stealing it does, to the amount of useless it is. lowers magic resist when you're traditionally working with ad champs. most of the team will most likely be ad except for the ap carry. and even then, that ap carry will usually have the items for enough magic pen.
i'd say change starcall to a selectable area aoe spell with 2 parts. the first is that soraka summons a star to the location, the impact damages enemies near it (including minions). the second is that star residue is leftover, healing allies for x per second for 6 seconds. cd switch it with infuse, that now cannot be spammed since it costs soraka mana.
why i say this idea is because it now serves as a better out of combat heal while her w can now be focused more on battles and "clutch healing". furthermore, soraka can now control her starcall, instead of worrying about taking minion cs when trying to fight in lane. lastly, it still lets soraka feel like a healer, but she also feels like there's some hybrid-ness going on there. the whole "i damage my enemies then my teammates get healing" aspect similar to WoW atonement priests.

sorry if my post is unclear. my brian is fried and i cant write for my life.

Aloy

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquodox View Post
What if they made it so when someone is being healed by the heal over time ability, they can not stack it with pots, just like how you can not stack the support biscuit with health and mana pots?
but then there's the situation where the carry was already potting. Someone suggested that if u get auto'd the regen stops. This seems like a better solution

Luke OrbwaIker

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyvag View Post
Sorry this post took a little longer than I wanted it to. There was an..*incident* at work.

While dedicated healers might be a problem in terms of actual design, let's look at sustain in the actual game. Given that Soraka is generally paired with Marksmen I'll be focusing on their sustain.

Marksmen/ADCs will generally start with a long sword+pots or a Doran's blade. This gives them a bit of sustain, but nothing over the top. next item is either a B.F. Sword or a vamp scepter, slightly more sustain, but Soraka is still able to burst out the health. Then a BT or BotRK is purchased and now our carry is starting to sustain themselves quite a bit. Next item is probably an IE or PD, at this point the carry is really starting to get fat chunks of health back that our poor gold-starved unicorn girl can barely keep up with. After that, they basically out-sustain her for the rest of the game with Soraka being able to give a half second more life to a friend.

Now, why do we need Soraka as a dedicated healer? Draven. More specifically, we now have plenty of champions with exceptionally good early game burst potential that have given rise to Barrier as a popular spell on SR. Without her ability to stop a level 2-3 all-in from someone like Draven or Xin Zhao with a quick burst heal and some extra armor, her carry would surely die and the enemy would snowball out of control. Soraka is there so that Tristana, Vayne, or Kog'maw can survive a terrible early game from these other carries and try to make it to that mid-late game where they become monsters. Soraka is there so that if your ADC gets hard countered, you have someone who can take some of the sting of trading off so you can try to whittle them down and not feed. Soraka sacrifices any form of engage or hard CC so you can try to survive what is going to be a hard fought lane. Soraka makes sure your mages get extra damage off on the enemy with her amazing shred abilities and then she makes sure the enemy can no longer say bad things about you by silencing them.

So what do I see Soraka as? Soraka is THE Healer of League. Sure, other champs have heals, but they're kind of meager and a little spammy. Soraka on the other hand, expends huge amounts of her mana to bring forth what little divine power she has left in order to save her team. She is the archetypal healer, the lifegiver, and the only source of MR aura left. Soraka is a fallen God trying to heal the wounded before her, she is the one trying to stop the killing. However, she is not afraid to call upon the stars to try and smite down whoever dare hurt her friends and teammates.

In short, we need Soraka as a healer. We already have so many archetypes in league that having just ONE dedicated healer is not such a bad thing. After all, some of us like healing.
Check. Your move, Morello.

CoffeeDave

09-09-2013

I'm just spit-balling, but what about a spell/ability that makes the area around her prevent anyone from attacking each other for a second or two? For some reason, when I see Soraka, she seems to me to want to use an ability similar to the D&D spell Santuary. (Link http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm )

Teh2DUDEe

09-09-2013

Soraka. AD.

The Scyphozoa

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN Nick View Post
Check. Your move, Morello.
Yeah, he already said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We can leave Soraka alone, as long as players are willing to let her be marginalized to do so.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
7 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
except for the fact the champion you quote in the example is just bad design for the sake of a purpose... no one in the community would suggest a champ like that and you wont design a champ like that. I don't think making such an exreme example lke a 10-second global stun each 7 seconds helps anyone to make/understand a point. (and Im usually really good with extrapolating ideas)

on the other hand the champions we have have been funcioning in the game for a long time, and some of them (like soraka)are the bricks upon League of Legends has built his image.. in a very positive way.

(as in, everyone now recognizes Soraka as a healing-caring champion, and most people embrace that image whithin the fantasy and context of LoL)
My assertion is the damage fulfilling that fantasy causes does more harm than good. I understand the desirability of a healer and the psychology behind playing one - it's a strong fantasy - it's just not worth the cost to the game to make it good and work.

Thryale

09-09-2013

Okay, so here are my thoughts. More than just her sustain, raka brings a LOT of invisible power through her bonus mr and armor she gives allies. This makes laning against her a pain. Giving her 2/3 heals just exasperates the issue. I think Raka needs a new passive first and foremost. For example, why not something like this:

new passive: Consecration - when nearby allies drop below 50% hp, they recover xx% hp from all healing sources (basically something like spirit visage)

Pros: this gives raka, as a healer, more incentive to heal low hp allies and make better life saving plays, while helping low hp sustain in lane without being utterly toxic that free MR can be.

Cons: can probably be abused by champs like mundo and such that build visage and/or have high hp regen when low on hp

Now, for raka's core kit, over all it's not bad, but IMO it could be improved. Her Q is definitely a spot that could use some love. Why not try something like this:

New Q: Star Call - When cast, raka calls upon the stars, summoning a multitude of stars to fall upon nearby enemys for x number of seconds.

Basically, what this does, is turn raka's mana sink and cast time sink into a point blank dot aoe. This way, raka can do what she used to do with the old star call, but not be locked in place for as long and thus let her reposition and cast spells. This could be a timed effect with a moderate cd or it could be a toggle that continuously drains on her mana.

Pros: frees raka up to reposition and cast other spells.

Cons: if not tuned right, can easily cause her to do rediculous amounts of damage for little cost.

Raka's W is definitely a point of contention. It is the infamous heal. It doesn't heal enough to feel impactful, so you tacked on a -huge- armor buff on it to make it useful for winning trades in lane. Instead, why not try something like this:

New W: Astral Blessing - Grant's a targeted ally a durable shield. While the shield is up, it grants the blessed ally with a heal over time equaling the total hp of the shield itself.

This right here is an idea I absolutely love. It is a great mechanic to have in lane, and is still useful late game. It provides a good heal for allies that are low, or just need to be topped off, but encourages the enemy to pop the shield asap as to stop the heal. I strongly believe it has great play/counter play for both sides.

Pros: provides that instant hp needed to save an ally in the form of a temporary shield, and if the shield isn't popped, heals the ally for the amount shielded. Thus acheiving the job of a healer.

Cons: Honestly, I can't see many other than it may be used to heal up allies between poke wars.

On to her E. Raka's E is a fun spell IMO. I like the duality it has, not to mention it does something no other champ's spell does. Provide teammates with mana. I honestly don't think it needs much in the way of a change, but I'll take a swing at it nonetheless:

New E: Infuse - Sacrifice mana to give an equal amount to an ally and haste said ally. (provides ms buff due to the new mana cost) If an enemy is targeted, damages, silences and provides a moderate slow. (still costs mana)

Okay, I really dislike giving it a mana cost as it was really her only source of good harrass, but now that it costs mana, it can also do more as well. I think the MS buff/slow would be invaluable in many situations in today's league.

Pros: MS buff is good on all champs, no longer useless on manaless champs. slow is a form of cc raka really needed to help peel for her adc.

Cons: mana cost. (it burns!!!) silence + slow could be a little over powered

As for her ult, I don't think it needs to be touched at all.

Well, there you go, I really hope you read this and give me your thoughts, I always enjoy constructive criticism.

Aloy

09-09-2013

while we are on the subject of Soraka how awesome would a pulsefire Soraka skin be

Alexianne

09-09-2013

So, as a support main I've had a love/hate relationship with soraka. In a few comps, she's perfect! However, how I've played support and come to see the role over time has changed that has made me really strongly dislike her.

First, as a support with the current meta, I feel like my job is to maintain vision, to annoy the living crud out of the enemy (I'm not doing my job if they don't hate me most of the time lol), and to keep my adc safe. My priorities in doing this tend to be vision > harass > adc protecting.

I've come to the conclusion that having a heal isn't a bad thing, however, having a healer is. Having a heal can help your adc out if they make a bad trade or two, or help out sustain the other team, or even save yourself and your adc from a gank. Having a healer however crutches bad trades, makes many of the mechanics of actual laning null, and tends to be very boring and predictable. I adore Nami for this fact. She has actual mechanics to use, does have a heal to help out if need be, but is obviously not just there for the heals. Soraka on the other hand, feels like she's meant to heal and be a mana battery, which just is not as fun and doesn't punish bad play by the adc or the support.

So what are my opinions on Soraka's skills? First, I love the silence. It's a solid mechanic, I can choose to either go offensive with it and silence the other support or even a caster-type adc (think:Graves) for a sudden offensive push, or I can give mana to my adc to help them poke more. Second, her heal is... meh. I like the armor boost and heal, but I feel like it's just too easily spammable. Sona is a good example of where this goes right. Hers feels like an important choice in the early game because I can either do damage with my Q or I can heal with W, but I have to choose which is better given the situation AND timing her heal can save a life because of the armor boost for sure. It feels better than the Soraka heal because A. I don't have to target my adc (If people are clustered, it can be difficult to select the right person and get the heal off) B. It feels like more of a choice of how to allocate mana, and C. Hitting it at the right time feel rewarding. Soraka's can be too easily spammed, can be difficult to target properly due to the way it's used in order to maximize the defensive boost, and feels more like "Oh, look, he's taken damage, let's heal. This doesn't have that bad of a CD or cost anyway".

Now for the good stuff. I HATE her Q and her R. Her Q requires her to be out of place in late-game team fights, making her front-line to be effective in getting the MR reduction debuff on important targets, it puts her in danger too easily in lane and steals CS from the adc if one isn't very careful with it, and it feels clunky and like it was thrown in last minute as "oh, she needs some damage too, let's do this" kind of a thing. Her Ult is... underwhelming. In some circumstances it's perfect, but those circumstances are few and very far between. This contributes a lot to why she feels like a damage mop and mana battery. When I played her a lot, I tended to feel like I was standing around holding it for the perfect time... and the perfect time never came. Rarely can it be used effectively, and even more rarely does it have a similar effect to something like a Karthus ult.

So, what do I think can be done? I feel like changing her ult would violate a lot of what people who love Soraka adore about her. However, I do feel like it at least needs tweaked. Maybe to a smaller heal but some kind of damage buff too? Something that will effect the entire team, even if you use it to try to save one person. I'm not saying a huge buff, but maybe something like +1 ap/ad per every 10/8/6 AP Soraka has (or even weaker, I dunno, I'm not the expert at balance here!). This would give her more interesting options for using it. (Do I use it at the start of a team fight or do I save it til someone gets low? What if I need to use it to save someone? Early game it could be used to save one person and not feel like a waste because you're helping more than just them) It could also, if her Q was changed, open the possibility of Soraka mid-lane. As for her Q... I really don't know how to fix this. When I think Starcall, I think something like meteor personally. Maybe a targeted area similar to MF's Make It Rain with a fairly short range? This would allow people to be able to move out of it still, would make positioning still important in team fights (Hey, I've to be in position to place that thing properly, preferably somewhere one of my team mates can stop them from getting out of it!) and it would help with the whole stealing CS issue.