Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CynicalGiant

09-09-2013

Make Soraka have to choose between powerful heals and buffs/protection for her team. Her problem is that she has both all the time with no real gameplay. Give her gameplay while maintaining the "this is THE healer character" vibe

Aloy

09-09-2013

i would love to see a regen but i fear of how strong it would be if it stacked with pots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquodox View Post
Just want to give out ideas as they pop into my head, but why not give soraka the first heal over time ability? If the amount of heal she can do in an instant is the reason why her ult and Q have such a large cool down, why not replace the Q with a heal over time ability so that she can still heal the ally but still gives the enemy a chance to kill the adc while they are low for the first second or two of the heal?

Coredor

09-09-2013

Two words, counter-able heals. Ignite and and item no one ever buys is always going to leave soraka in a bad spot because she's either super unfun to watch, or super unfun to play against.

She needs to be more like karma in that there is some counterplay to her innately in her healing/shielding abilities.

The Scyphozoa

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We can leave Soraka alone, as long as players are willing to let her be marginalized to do so.
I think that might be the best thing you can do.

I just think of Soraka as a way for MMO players who are used to Tank Spank and Heal to transition into LoL. They'll eventually realize that she isn't particularly viable, and that Sona's utility is why she's useful, not just her heals.

Dryad Soraka

09-09-2013

@Morello, thanks for replying.

I'm open to reworks, but I just want her character to stay in tact. Soraka in her current state isn't very good. I really love playing her, and there's no one else I'd rather play. But with all these other champions coming out with loads of CC and gap closers, it really jeopardizes her. Especially when her only "offensive" ability does little to no damage at all and you have to get super close to cast it.

Yaddar

09-09-2013

Quote:
You're misunderstanding the issue - the quoted thread explains why we'll avoid dedicated healers.

All variety is not good. A "niche" could be a guy with one skill that takes 7 seconds to cast and globally stuns all champions for 10 seconds. He'd be really unique, and really terrible for the game.
except for the fact the champion you quote in the example is just bad design for the sake of a purpose... no one in the community would suggest a champ like that and you wont design a champ like that. I don't think making such an exreme example lke a 10-second global stun each 7 seconds helps anyone to make/understand a point. (and Im usually really good with extrapolating ideas)

on the other hand the champions we have have been funcioning in the game for a long time, and some of them (like soraka)are the bricks upon League of Legends has built his image.. in a very positive way.

(as in, everyone now recognizes Soraka as a healing-caring champion, and most people embrace that image whithin the fantasy and context of LoL)

PallasAthens

09-09-2013

Morello, for soraka...

Heal over time that gets removed on attack. Adds counterplay, in two ways-If the ADC/whoever wants to get the most out of the heal, they have to hide. If he doesn't, the opponent can stop the heal. However this does mean making the heal a bit stronger, but it'd solve the solution of 'oh my god he just healed 200'.

Shattered Clock

09-09-2013

Quote:
Soraka is a tough subject. I might have to do this half-way on this post, but let's break down Soraka a little to understand a bit of where she is and where her problems lie;

Soraka's core design is a classic dedicated healer. The issue here is most fully explained in another post about why Dedicated Healers are a design trap in competitive games. Starting here is a good place.

So, then, with that in mind what should be done? Truth be told, I'm unsure. What do you guys think, understanding the different considerations on healers we have for League?
Sorry this post took a little longer than I wanted it to. There was an..*incident* at work.

While dedicated healers might be a problem in terms of actual design, let's look at sustain in the actual game. Given that Soraka is generally paired with Marksmen I'll be focusing on their sustain.

Marksmen/ADCs will generally start with a long sword+pots or a Doran's blade. This gives them a bit of sustain, but nothing over the top. next item is either a B.F. Sword or a vamp scepter, slightly more sustain, but Soraka is still able to burst out the health. Then a BT or BotRK is purchased and now our carry is starting to sustain themselves quite a bit. Next item is probably an IE or PD, at this point the carry is really starting to get fat chunks of health back that our poor gold-starved unicorn girl can barely keep up with. After that, they basically out-sustain her for the rest of the game with Soraka being able to give a half second more life to a friend.

Now, why do we need Soraka as a dedicated healer? Draven. More specifically, we now have plenty of champions with exceptionally good early game burst potential that have given rise to Barrier as a popular spell on SR. Without her ability to stop a level 2-3 all-in from someone like Draven or Xin Zhao with a quick burst heal and some extra armor, her carry would surely die and the enemy would snowball out of control. Soraka is there so that Tristana, Vayne, or Kog'maw can survive a terrible early game from these other carries and try to make it to that mid-late game where they become monsters. Soraka is there so that if your ADC gets hard countered, you have someone who can take some of the sting of trading off so you can try to whittle them down and not feed. Soraka sacrifices any form of engage or hard CC so you can try to survive what is going to be a hard fought lane. Soraka makes sure your mages get extra damage off on the enemy with her amazing shred abilities and then she makes sure the enemy can no longer say bad things about you by silencing them.

So what do I see Soraka as? Soraka is THE Healer of League. Sure, other champs have heals, but they're kind of meager and a little spammy. Soraka on the other hand, expends huge amounts of her mana to bring forth what little divine power she has left in order to save her team. She is the archetypal healer, the lifegiver, and the only source of MR aura left. Soraka is a fallen God trying to heal the wounded before her, she is the one trying to stop the killing. However, she is not afraid to call upon the stars to try and smite down whoever dare hurt her friends and teammates.

In short, we need Soraka as a healer. We already have so many archetypes in league that having just ONE dedicated healer is not such a bad thing. After all, some of us like healing.

Aquodox

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al√ły View Post
i would love to see a regen but i fear of how strong it would be if it stacked with pots
What if they made it so when someone is being healed by the heal over time ability, they can not stack it with pots, just like how you can not stack the support biscuit with health and mana pots?

Kagami

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
So basically, you need to have a 'buffer' style of champion in League-- the champion who feels good by making teammates feel good.

See, 'classic healer' style of support players want to act through their teammates, situationally helping allies, rather than directly hurting enemies.
But I'd argue sona is the buffer in LoL, how would you propose to make Soraka fit that role without treading on Sona's niche I mean Sona has:
AD/AP Aura
Armor/MR Aura
MS Buff/Aura
Small Heal
Ability to reduce enemy damage or speed

What would Soraka do to be a buffer and yet not conflict with the same Niche Sona fits.