Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aloy

09-09-2013

lately i've noticed the game leaning in a more movement speed direction so why not make her Q like zileans time warp. Doesn't it make sense for a mage of the stars to control some essence of time.

Tortferngatr

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
As much as it pains me to say it...I think Soraka needs to stay mostly the same. I agree with the assessment that Starcall needs to go; however, she does need some damage for harass. Maybe some sort of skillshot with a slow.

I would like Soraka to be playable in high-level play, but outside of giving her hard CC, I see no way to change her without utterly destroying her.
Wait. What if Soraka could make an AoE field that silenced you while you're on it, but the silence stopped once you left the field?

I'm adamant that the silence goes before Starcall.

Super Explosion

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
So, then, with that in mind what should be done? Truth be told, I'm unsure. What do you guys think, understanding the different considerations on healers we have for League?
Alrighty Morello! Soraka time.

So basically, you need to have a 'buffer' style of champion in League-- the champion who feels good by making teammates feel good.

See, 'classic healer' style of support players want to act through their teammates, situationally helping allies, rather than directly hurting enemies.

This should be pretty easy to pull off, potentially with an 'ability to self-cast at half effectiveness' mechanic. But you've probably got to have designers in that understanding mindset of the hyper-teamplayer. It's not about the clutch stun, it's about the clutch anti-stun.

So similar to the understanding that 'builder' characters can act offensively by setting up forward bulwarks and generally augmenting the environment for team benefit, 'dedicated protectors' should be applying strategy through teammate-amplifying effects more directly.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
5 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryad Soraka View Post
@morello

Please.

Listen.

As a player who has over 500 Soraka games under their belt.

You can't rework her without destroying her character. What you must do is tweak and QoL her current kit.

Please if you ever rework her, don't destroy her. I love Soraka. She is my favorite video game character ever.
You're right on this Dryad - which is why I've shied away.

That being said, if this Soraka ever sees competitive play, because of the above issues, we'd likely make sure it stops. I think that feels really bad overall, and is the situation we're stuck in.

We can leave Soraka alone, as long as players are willing to let her be marginalized to do so.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

I think the general contention point is that her Starcall (Q) is relatively weak now and extremely hard to abuse. Its range has been depleted last season when she was the mid lane nightmare of everyone, yet the purpose of it is mainly to drop MR right ? Nerf the AP ratio, increase the base damage a tad, increase the range, increase the Mana cost a tad. Voila.

Now for the rest of her kit,

Her passive serves a purpose, I'm not sure if the purpose is right for what the character does in a game, but shrug.

I think the silence duration on E could be stable at 2 seconds instead of increasing per level, because you then either have to choose between a clutch heal or a clutch silence, but the heal has greater worth early while the silence has a greater worth later (in lane that is).

Her heal is okayish, not more, not less.

As for her Ult, same thing than the Heal.

Maybe increasing her base Movement Speed would help her as well.

Dryad Soraka

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
How would making her more like Taric or Nami destroy her character? She will still be the purple unicorn girl that heals and buffs her allies.
Umm I was just saying that cause I hope she won't turn out like Karma. No need to downvote. Tw~at.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
6 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Alrighty Morello! Soraka time.

So basically, you need to have a 'buffer' style of champion in League-- the champion who feels good by making teammates feel good.

See, 'classic healer' style of support players want to act through their teammates, situationally helping allies, rather than directly hurting enemies.

This should be pretty easy to pull off, potentially with an 'ability to self-cast at half effectiveness' mechanic. But you've probably got to have designers in that understanding mindset of the hyper-teamplayer. It's not about the clutch stun, it's about the clutch anti-stun.

So similar to the understanding that 'builder' characters can act offensively by setting up forward bulwarks and generally augmenting the environment for team benefit, 'dedicated protectors' should be applying strategy through teammate-amplifying effects more directly.
This I agree with - though that's harder to make satisfying, it's a totally doable thing. This is a good definition of a support to me.

tempname6100

09-09-2013

she just needs some of her nerfs reverted. Give her old ult cd back and she would be an alright situational support.

Aquodox

09-09-2013

Just want to give out ideas as they pop into my head, but why not give soraka the first heal over time ability? If the amount of heal she can do in an instant is the reason why her ult and Q have such a large cool down, why not replace the Q with a heal over time ability so that she can still heal the ally but still gives the enemy a chance to kill the adc while they are low for the first second or two of the heal?

Tortferngatr

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalore View Post
I think it would be cool if we focused on the damage mitigation part of soraka's heal when in combat. Maybe make it a weird hybrid heal effect that heals way more if the target doesn't take damage.

Like an interrupt-able regen effect.
(also depending on how it scales, would make "keep away" duels with juking characters really nail-biting as they avoid damage. It would also let her heal someone leaving combat that could then re-enter like ten seconds later or something.)

Also I would love if Soraka's starcall had two targeting modes, one if she targets her self (the default) and a separated click thing like MF's make it rain so she can poke with it without pushing lane.

The main problem I have with her is that she has two things to do in lane, heal and provide mana/silence an enemy.(and of course, auto attack) All other current supports feel like they have far more things to do in lane that involves interacting with the enemy.

Also consider replacing her passive, I don't know what with, but that MR aura is some pretty spiffy invisible power. maybe she buffs the healing friendlys in range by like 5%, because that seems to be gaining ground on sustain champions.
Hmm. What if Soraka's heal was a shield that slowly consumed itself as health regen? (Basically, if the shield is for 200 and lasts 5 seconds, over the shield's duration the shield will lose 40 health per second but the ally gains 40 health per second. When the shield has 0 health, the regen effect stops.)