Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luke OrbwaIker

09-09-2013

Here's an idea...a heal that increases based on damage done/taken.
for example, have a sorak-err...champion who's:
core ability is a heal.
Add damage ability
Add cc/utility ability
Add huge massive heal ultimate.
and the heals don't have to be big.......by themselves
but give the champion a passive like

For each x points of damage done/taken, healing done in the next x seconds is increased by x percent.

This would encourage aggressive plays, and cause sorak-err...the champions builds to become varied. Do I go for tankiness and sustain to increase the amount of time I'm in a fight? Do I go for burstier damage, and therefore bigger heals?

This would also encourage communication between sor-...err this champions marksman and themselves. If the marksman is going in and trading by themselves, then the heal from s... -oh who am I kidding it's soraka- soraka would be less, because she wouldn't have contributed as much, and the marksman would lose the trade against someone with a less dynamic heal. However, if the two communicate and coordinate attacks and retreats together, then it allows the reward of having more sustain.

Morello. What do you think?

Nicholas

SlumlordThanatos

09-09-2013

Oh, right, before I forget.

Soraka needs a new passive as well. Passive MR doesn't do her a lot of good in lane against an enemy that does mostly physical damage.

Coredor

09-09-2013

I always thought you should lower the cooldown on soraka's heal but making it a heal over time with some kind of counterplay. I don't see problem to healing in general just that it's either on or off. There is no inbetween.

If the enemy had a meaningful way to counter it hard and allies had a meaningful way to ignore that counter it could be made much more usefull.

e.g. soraka heals her opponent for x health over x seconds, but if soraka(or the healed person is attacked) the heal stops.

Maybe a channeled heal like a reverse fiddlesticks life drain.

Maybe a heal that heals your ally over the amount they move during the time it's on. So you can't use it in a straight up duel, only when running toward or away. Or visa versa, maybe a heal that only heals while you(or they stay still).

CynicalGiant

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because that's her identity. Soraka's job is to heal, though fixing that would be awesome.
Sona gets to poke and heal.
Nami gets to poke and heal.

Both of these champions give actual bonuses and buffs to their teammates on top of their healing and both of these champions have to manage their healing and buffs. Soraka just spams Mana and Armor buffs.

I think she shouldn't restore mana to be honest.

aperson1

09-09-2013

This is kind of irrelevant to the heal discussion, but one of the things that kind of irked me about playing soraka is her weird spell ranges. her q targeted around her and her short silence range encourages her to be in the thick of things, but her heal and MR aura and general all-around no-gold squishiness encourages her to stay in the back, to not get melted in a few seconds. IMO i would rather see the w heal, mana regain, and MR aura be de-emphasized in exchange for making her q groundtargeted aoe with slightly longer range and more impactful shred/lower cd, and her E range being less awkward.

in fact I don't think anybody really likes using the mana regain on E-soraka has to do it as often as possible for optimal use, not much decision-making. the target probably wont appreciate the mana they're getting back as they generally won't be using their skills immediately after being mana'd. and the opponent no longer can gauge general windows of opportunity based on the target's mana bar unless they're counting cd's.

just imo

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
3 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
I think having just a couple of dedicated healers in a game with more than 110 champions adresses both diveesity and niche.

having niche characters (Soraka, Heimerdinger, Galio, Urgot, Swain) is good for the game, it feels awesome when you can fill in a team composition with the right character who fills the space.

need heals but no cc, need cc but no damage?, need one-target burst? need AOE? need mobility?, need sustained damage?, need map control? need pushing power? here, there is the champ just for the occasion.

the problem is that (IMO) you tend to confuse "underplayed" with "bad" as well as "specialiced at one thing" as "overpowered (at that thing)"

Some champions will have more utility overall, while others are expected to be strong at just one thing (being ressitances, cc, heal, damage, etc) ... that's just the nature of a game reaching more than 110 characters.

Look at F-Zero for 64 and Gamecube.. +40 racers and there were racers that had INCREDIBBLE top speed on long straigh roads, but had awful mobilty, where there were slower racers with more armor, or more boost power, or better handling... and it felt great. Specialization is not something to be afraid of .. in any case, you have Yi, who, annoying as he is, he is specialized glass cannon with an incredible damage output... and just reworked to enforce that.
You're misunderstanding the issue - the quoted thread explains why we'll avoid dedicated healers.

All variety is not good. A "niche" could be a guy with one skill that takes 7 seconds to cast and globally stuns all champions for 10 seconds. He'd be really unique, and really terrible for the game.

Dryad Soraka

09-09-2013

@morello

Please.

Listen.

As a player who has over 500 Soraka games under their belt.

You can't rework her without destroying her character. What you must do is tweak and QoL her current kit.

Please if you ever rework her, don't destroy her. I love Soraka. She is my favorite video game character ever.

StanielK

09-09-2013

My biggest problem with Raka, and I'm certainly no expert, is that she's boring. She has two heals, a mana regen that doubles as a silence, and Starcall which to me is always weird trying to cast and could use some QoL changes(along with Sona's Q, but that's another subject). So, her feeling boring would lead to under-satisfaction in playing her. Her role as a healer doesn't feel influential enough to warrant play from me. There are other supports who do things so much better. Sona has a great heal, but also a more useful ultimate(in my mind, again not an expert), not to mention with her Power Chords she has a lot of depth too. Raka doesn't feel like she has depth to her, or power. She just feels useless overall. And a lot of this could just be the overall support issues that you guys are working on for S4. But I really wish she had more depth. Taric falls into the same trap for me, where they just don't feel interesting to play.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
4 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
Sona gets to poke and heal.
Nami gets to poke and heal.

Both of these champions give actual bonuses and buffs to their teammates on top of their healing and both of these champions have to manage their healing and buffs. Soraka just spams Mana and Armor buffs.

I think she shouldn't restore mana to be honest.
So in this example, you'd focus on her poke and make her healing a secondary benefit? That could work, though the heal would have to get hammered.

CynicalGiant

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryad Soraka View Post
@morello

Please.

Listen.

As a player who has over 500 Soraka games under their belt.

You can't rework her without destroying her character. What you must do is tweak and QoL her current kit.

Please if you ever rework her, don't destroy her. I love Soraka. She is my favorite video game character ever.
How would making her more like Taric or Nami destroy her character? She will still be the purple unicorn girl that heals and buffs her allies.