Let's talk about Soraka

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

namielise

09-09-2013

i honestly beleive that we should let go her healer theme because she'll never see the light of day if she keeps it and rework her into a true fallen star godess (something with cc and some regen amplification),so she can be competitive again

Henry Plainview

09-09-2013

Starcall is one of the most visually satisfying abilities in the game and is also one of the most useless abilities in the game. You should work on that and then see what you can do about her sustain.

Uiraya

09-09-2013

Why not make q a longer range cone? Then she can use it more than once per teamfight.

Increase the length of the armor buff on w but also increase its cooldown. Then make champion hits with q reduce the cooldown of it and r a little. Now Soraka wants to engage the enemy (and can do so without feeding).
~Uiru

Talon Silverwing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

@Morello has the balance team thought about removing the heal on her W and making her R heal for a LOT more health? like 50% to 100% more? also, what does the team think about starcall? I personally feel like the range on that spell is suicidal.

Aloy

09-09-2013

The only thing i see worth talking about is her Q if shes a dedicated healer why does she have an offensive spell and not another utility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Soraka is a tough subject. I might have to do this half-way on this post, but let's break down Soraka a little to understand a bit of where she is and where her problems lie;

Soraka's core design is a classic dedicated healer. The issue here is most fully explained in another post about why Dedicated Healers are a design trap in competitive games. Starting here is a good place.

So, then, with that in mind what should be done? Truth be told, I'm unsure. What do you guys think, understanding the different considerations on healers we have for League?

SlumlordThanatos

09-09-2013

As much as it pains me to say it...I think Soraka needs to stay mostly the same. I agree with the assessment that Starcall needs to go; however, she does need some damage for harass. Maybe some sort of skillshot with a slow.

I would like Soraka to be playable in high-level play, but outside of giving her hard CC, I see no way to change her without utterly destroying her.

CragBlade

09-09-2013

She should feel like an overall savior to you and your allies, not just a heal bot.

Here is an idea:
New Passive - Soraka stores up holy light when near allies. When holy light reaches max stacks her next ability also heals allies within the aoe.

I would also make it so all of her abilities are changed to some sort of AoE. I don't think her Ultimate has much usage, fun gameplay or counterplay, same with her Q and passive.

Make her about protecting allies and poking with healing being tied-in with the poke.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
2 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al√ły View Post
The only thing i see worth talking about is her Q if shes a dedicated healer why does she have an offensive spell and not another utility?
Because that's her identity. Soraka's job is to heal, though fixing that would be awesome.

Yaddar

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Soraka is a tough subject. I might have to do this half-way on this post, but let's break down Soraka a little to understand a bit of where she is and where her problems lie;

Soraka's core design is a classic dedicated healer. The issue here is most fully explained in another post about why Dedicated Healers are a design trap in competitive games. Starting here is a good place.

So, then, with that in mind what should be done? Truth be told, I'm unsure. What do you guys think, understanding the different considerations on healers we have for League?

I think having just a couple of dedicated healers in a game with more than 110 champions adresses both diveesity and niche.

having niche characters (Soraka, Heimerdinger, Galio, Urgot, Swain) is good for the game, it feels awesome when you can fill in a team composition with the right character who fills the space.

need heals but no cc, need cc but no damage?, need one-target burst? need AOE? need mobility?, need sustained damage?, need map control? need pushing power? here, there is the champ just for the occasion.

the problem is that (IMO) you tend to confuse "underplayed" with "bad" as well as "specialiced at one thing" as "overpowered (at that thing)"

Some champions will have more utility overall, while others are expected to be strong at just one thing (being ressitances, cc, heal, damage, etc) ... that's just the nature of a game reaching more than 110 characters.

Soaka is a healer but lacks other things.. so what?, she can fit in with teams with high hard cc or against teams with 2 or 3 casters.

Look at F-Zero for 64 and Gamecube.. +40 racers and there were racers that had INCREDIBBLE top speed on long straigh roads, but had awful mobilty, where there were slower racers with more armor, or more boost power, or better handling... and it felt great. Specialization is not something to be afraid of .. in any case, you have Yi, who, annoying as he is, he is specialized glass cannon with an incredible damage output in exchange of ZERO cc... and just reworked to enforce that.

Adalore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

I think it would be cool if we focused on the damage mitigation part of soraka's heal when in combat. Maybe make it a weird hybrid heal effect that heals way more if the target doesn't take damage.

Like an interrupt-able regen effect.
(also depending on how it scales, would make "keep away" duels with juking characters really nail-biting as they avoid damage. It would also let her heal someone leaving combat that could then re-enter like ten seconds later or something.)

Also I would love if Soraka's starcall had two targeting modes, one if she targets her self (the default) and a separated click thing like MF's make it rain so she can poke with it without pushing lane.

The main problem I have with her is that she has two things to do in lane, heal and provide mana/silence an enemy.(and of course, auto attack) All other current supports feel like they have far more things to do in lane that involves interacting with the enemy.

Also consider replacing her passive, I don't know what with, but that MR aura is some pretty spiffy invisible power. maybe she buffs the healing friendlys in range by like 5%, because that seems to be gaining ground on sustain champions.