Morello: "we dont want to nerf big staple line up champs before worlds"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
14 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStoryBrony View Post
Morello, what do you think about Swain, and DoT champions in general? We don't see them very often in the LCS compared to burst casters. Do you think Swain is where he needs to be, or is there something you'd like to change about him?
I'm not sure, actually - it's something I should talk more with the team about. I'm a bit surprised with how far this type of champion has fallen out of flavor and want to get word from guys with boots on the ground here.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
15 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexss View Post
Morello ty for taking the time to post. What are your thoughts on the current state of Miss Fortune?

I find Miss Fortune could use some attention. Her passive is frequently removed during team fights by mindless minion damage.

Her make it rain costs alot of mana, does little damage and slows for a short amount when you consider the small Diameter.

Her lack of mobility in fights makes her riskier to use than any other adc "even vayne". She has no dash or escape. Make it rain won't do much in this league full of gap closers, dashes and hard CC.

Miss fortune has very little counter play when targeted ( which happens every game).
MF falls in and out of flavor as different champions and comps trend up and down. I like this pattern overall and think MF is OK as-is.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
It's funny that you mention Vi as mobility creep, cause her Ultimate isn't it, but her Q sure as hell is. Vi, Zac, Zed and Khazix are the mobility creep now, in fact they do it so much better that Ahri got jealous. It's a really issue, and i'll ask again, how are you going to help non-mobile casters like Brand, Annie, Malzahar and Viktor in season 4, fight against this, who can't chase down and can't really react fast enough to the constant dashing to position properly, or use their skill shot based combos.
I think it's a cost-benefit thing. If Ahri does what they do, and is mobile, then there's no contest. If Ahri is highly mobile but has some cost associated it that allow Annie and Brand to compete, then that's great. Udyr is the Fighter example of where this works.

Annie's actually in a good spot, but agreed Brand is in a bit of a lull due to this.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
17 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
I've said it before, let me rework soraka. I'll make her really fun, while staying true to her design.

I'll do it pro-bono.

Edit: But seriously tho, i would really like a legit real discussion about non-mobile casters like Annie, Swain, Brand, Malzahar, Cassiopeia, Vlad. If you ever get a chance.
OK, let me get a thought-dump from the balance team on this.

Loveshockk

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
MF falls in and out of flavor as different champions and comps trend up and down. I like this pattern overall and think MF is OK as-is.
I'm wondering when the proposed Fiora buffs you were working on are going to make it to pbe. I think i remember you saying they would be up by the time Yi's rework was up and running, but I havn't seen anything recently other than the kinda sorta bug fix on her Ult.

Not sure why i quoted btw.

Borigrad

09-09-2013

Quote:
I'm not sure, actually - it's something I should talk more with the team about. I'm a bit surprised with how far this type of champion has fallen out of flavor and want to get word from guys with boots on the ground here.
If you do anything to Swain, it needs to be to his passive. It's terrible late game, he's a short ranged sustained damage caster, his passive makes him a great lane bully, but the lane he bullies is vs melee champions in lane side lanes, which makes him really easy to gank and his early game squishiness makes it not worth the risk.

IMO he's fairly weak mid lane in short lanes vs ranged champions, since there is so much distance to cover and so little distance to chase.

MarkedPariah

09-09-2013

Thank you for your time Morello keep up the good work representing the balance team and communicating your guys thoughts on champions and the overall direction of the game I look forward to season 4.

Coldmanj

09-09-2013

Quote:
It is when we can't simply buff them to be good or make small changes. Fighters (and why CertainlyT is focused on them!) are the biggest culprits of this, and tend to make this list more than others. Much of this is based around the schizophrenic goals and role fulfillment on fighters (which typically comes with low counter-play) and them deriving value from nothing but raw power. Not only aware, but one of our biggest open sores that's very hard to solve without a LOT of disruption.
are you willing to give some examples of both of these areas. I know jayce is an issue of low counter play, what other champs or styles are on the radar as problematic. Also can you explain what you mean by deriving value from raw power, are you referring to ratios, the base damage values, or just the skills themselves? are there any good examples here as well?

Ornan

09-09-2013

Quote:
If you had to come up with a replacement for wards what would it be Morello?

I suppose my choice would be to lower clairvoyance's cooldown and add a range limit to it that's probably...eh, maybe a little bigger than TF range? You would want to limit it's range so that unless the person was mid with CV, they aren't going to be able to follow the jungler all day with it.

Also, if wards were removed, do you think this would lead to another string of support nerfs, since they would be buying more items, or do you think it would end up causing the nerfs of the aura items the supports will have no trouble purchasing?

Edit: Seeing that there are permanent ward skins out now, I don't see the removal of wards coming any time soon.

Bignoober22

09-09-2013

Quote:
Udyr is the Fighter example of where this works.

Annie's actually in a good spot, but agreed Brand is in a bit of a lull due to this.
Udyr doesnt work though. Hes never seen in pro games. Annie works as a support very well in China but no one plays her mid.