Morello: "we dont want to nerf big staple line up champs before worlds"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

questir

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
It's a really issue, and i'll ask again, how are you going to help non-mobile casters like Brand, Annie, Malzahar and Viktor in season 4, fight against this, who can't chase down and can't really react fast enough to the constant dashing to position properly, or use their skill shot based combos.
Add Cassio on this please.

@Morello IMO buffing a bit the base MS for non mobile casters would be good to start with

exec3

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Now, let's put this thread on a good note; let me tell you two must-haves for Season 4 to ship successfully in my mind;

We're going to significantly improve, and ultimately fix, jungle and support gold flow. I feel this is one of the most painful areas of League, and one that can be fixed. A lot of the satisfaction in League is growing in power over time, getting items, and transitioning from early to late game with items. It's definitely a problem that 2/5 of players don't get to do this.

Season 4 changes will address this problem, and very likely throw balance into a tailspin for preseason. Eggs, omelettes, etc. We'll work hard to get that fleshed out and tuned before S4 starts properly.

Wards and the map vision system need to be overhauled. This is part-and-parcel with the above as Support gold largely suffers due to ward gold burden, but there are a multitude of other problems like snowballing, few real interesting ward decision-making opportunities, and few people involved with the vision game. Details have to wait, but the new system will address these issues.
I for one am very excited for these changes. I used to enjoy playing support from time to time but that ended with the 0cs wardbot meta so i'm very keen to possibly be able to play support again without being bored to tears and feeling useless because I don't get to play the item game and get strong.

Do you think you'll be able to start giving details before or after the finals?

Purgatory Ace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by margalolwut View Post
Speaking of nerfs.. don't you think it is counter productive to the "meta" that some champs are nerfed into oblivion and never see the competitive day light again? Olaf, Darius, Jayce (to a certain extent), Irelia, Jax, come to mind.

Is the "balance team" aware of this? Is it on your radar at all?

My main concern here is that there are 100+ champs, but only 20-30 are actually used in competitive play. Does this concern you or does the balance team not even think of this?
Jax actually sees play in other regions. He gets used fairly often to counter shen picks.

Theras Arkna

09-09-2013

Quote:
Wards and the map vision system need to be overhauled. This is part-and-parcel with the above as Support gold largely suffers due to ward gold burden, but there are a multitude of other problems like snowballing, few real interesting ward decision-making opportunities, and few people involved with the vision game. Details have to wait, but the new system will address these issues.
You could always put a purchase limit on wards, forcing other members of the team to help with it.

Khristophoros

The Council

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyl View Post
If I may add on this,

Kassadin : He got too much power in too many places; his kit indicates that he's supposed to do close up "melee-ish" things, like anti-mage from dota. However, he's played as a burst mage most of the time. On top of that, he's played as a burst mage without much AP items at all, you see most Kassadin's going for RoA and tear and they still do a ton of damage early. This indicates a lot of what is the difference between the "old" mages and the newer ones, the older ones have extremely high BASE damage on pretty much every skill (or short Cd, med damage) while new ones tend to have extremely high ratios or power curves. I don't understand why his single target spell does just as much damage as his AoE spell, neither why the silence is so long for how safe he is in most matchups, and neither why his E isn't more limited on the spamming part. You have two choices here in my opinion, you either want to support a true "anti-mage" style of champ, and thus reduce base damages/ratios, but increase things like Attack Speed, W strength, etc or promote the bursty-assassin playstyle while tuning down his safety (- silence duration, + mana cost, +CD) . His design is understandable yet a bit twisted.
Buffing his W or passive makes his all-in way stronger, which increases his ability to start snowballing.

Nerfing his base damage makes him unplayable in games where he didn't snowball.

Focusing more on burst assassin makes him snowball harder. His supposed safety comes from that fact that when he's snowballing, he has extra health (HP per level), and extra burst (base, and being ahead on items) which means he can win by raw power. This is the real problem with him right now because his kit allows him to force engage. Adding more burst, even if you reduce silence duration or increase CDs just makes this problem worse.

Stats in this game snowball way too hard in general, and Kassadin's kit makes this problem worse than any other champion. If he's too behind he can't engage even when opponents make mistakes. If he's too far ahead he can force engages way too easily.

Borigrad

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by questir View Post
Add Cassio on this please.

@Morello IMO buffing a bit the base MS for non mobile casters would be good to start with
See thats the thing, Cass is border line. She has a speed buff on her Q, but she definitely has mobility problems. But i honestly feel like Cassio's problems stem more from her being so hard to play well, that it becomes really easy to outplay her. Cause the skill the cassi player has to exert, on top of trying to out play her opponent, it becomes really over whelming.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-09-2013
13 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightinly View Post
And here I am just waiting for him to answer about what's going to happen to soraka.
It's a big stumper - especially considering that Soraka represents a lot to people who play her, but any overhaul would fundamentally violate that.

I should make a thread on this.

Ailwuful2

09-09-2013

I'm getting more and more excited about season 4 at each post. I'm always thinking how there are so many rework threads lately, for Rengar, Skarner, Olaf, Xerath, forgotten Heimerdinger, and others. Then there is all this talk about overall big changes to fighters, which I just can't phantom what the hell you are planning to do. Then there is this putting more gold on jungler and support's hands, which is super awesome. And probably another plethora of changes that aren't talked about.
Oh god!

Harib

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by morello View Post
"there's morello - get him!"
http://community.us.playstation.com/...v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Borigrad

09-09-2013

Quote:
It's a big stumper - especially considering that Soraka represents a lot to people who play her, but any overhaul would fundamentally violate that.

I should make a thread on this.
I've said it before, let me rework soraka. I'll make her really fun, while staying true to her design.

I'll do it pro-bono.

Edit: But seriously tho, i would really like a legit real discussion about non-mobile casters like Annie, Swain, Brand, Malzahar, Cassiopeia, Vlad. If you ever get a chance.