Morello: "we dont want to nerf big staple line up champs before worlds"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Häßlich

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryswar View Post
You are my favorite person in the world right now.

-Singed, someone who has spent most of their League pvp career as a support or in the jungle
Same here. Jungle is my main with support as my 2nd. I hope they can deliver on this claim.

Starburst Prime

09-09-2013

This is jumping subjects a little bit, but what about if there was an invincible green ward. It couldn't see other wards or invisibly objects, it can be seen by pinks/oracles, but it cannot die for its duration. Have it cost the same amount as a pink ward.

Oseoros

09-09-2013

Think of Ziggs as a worse Cass once you hit teamfights. He pokes, he kites, and he has one nuke. He can peel for himself a bit, but he has nowhere near the damage or utility. He has a much easier lane though.

I think it's fair to continue balancing the game before worlds, and to make the pros work around that as they feel they need to. Frankly, I think it's also fair to drop champion reworks before worlds. This game isn't, shouldn't be, and really *can't* be about finding one perfect build or one perfect teamcomp and then using it over and over. You have to be adaptable and flexible- the patches allow us to see how the teams adapt. The main problem you'd get into there is inside information I guess, where one team gets an edge by somehow learning what will actually become reality. Not sure how relevant or possible that is.

Anyhow, having to deal with a changing game-climate seems natural. The game is never going to stop evolving, is it? Why stop (or slow) the evolution of the competition?

But yeah. These are people (the pros) that get paid to play this game at a *very* high level. If they can't adapt and bring their triple-A1 game for worlds (which is something they're already likely doing, just in a different way), then I don't know why we bother

edit- also, add more items. Do I know what sort of items? No. Do I know what I want them for? No. But it doesn't feel right to me that I pretty much always know the pool of items that everyone will build out of, and at my level I can pretty much guess what they're going to build anyhow. (Except for when just go nuts and do things like AP Vayne, but there's no helping that)

Borigrad

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
One example is how Vi's ultimate was talked about a lot as "mobility creep." I think the real problems occur there when there's no meaningful recourse to that move, her being able to move far is fine - provided than when she does, you have actions that make sense to deal with her. Some of this is the CC immunity, some of this is her raw brawling power when she gets there. If some cost is paid, actually or strategically, then the skill can avoid this pitfall.
It's funny that you mention Vi as mobility creep, cause her Ultimate isn't it, but her Q sure as hell is. Vi, Zac, Zed and Khazix are the mobility creep now, in fact they do it so much better that Ahri got jealous. It's a really issue, and i'll ask again, how are you going to help non-mobile casters like Brand, Annie, Malzahar and Viktor in season 4, fight against this, who can't chase down and can't really react fast enough to the constant dashing to position properly, or use their skill shot based combos.

Quote:
Now, let's put this thread on a good note; let me tell you two must-haves for Season 4 to ship successfully in my mind;

We're going to significantly improve, and ultimately fix, jungle and support gold flow. I feel this is one of the most painful areas of League, and one that can be fixed. A lot of the satisfaction in League is growing in power over time, getting items, and transitioning from early to late game with items. It's definitely a problem that 2/5 of players don't get to do this.
Yes, i agree, Champions like Shyvana need incentives to farm and invade, right now the income isn't high enough to really want to do it, compared to champions like Elise, J4 and Nasus who pretty much scale so well with very little gold, and gank so strong that they get free gold by denying it to their enemy, if that makes sense. But to fix this issue, you would have to fix the snowbally nature of laning, where if you miss a wave of exp top lane, you fall so far behind you can't recover.

Quote:
Wards and the map vision system need to be overhauled. This is part-and-parcel with the above as Support gold largely suffers due to ward gold burden, but there are a multitude of other problems like snowballing, few real interesting ward decision-making opportunities, and few people involved with the vision game. Details have to wait, but the new system will address these issues.
A lot of these issues i feel could be solved with masteries, they get more gold for assist, they get a percentage of gold from CS if they are 500 units within the person who last hit. Or perhaps make wards cheaper for supports, they need rewards for placing down wards.

What about the idea that, "Sight stone: wards from this item that spot an enemy champion give you 10 gold (45 second cooldown) OR Sight stone: Each ward placed down with this item increases all gold generated by 10% a ward. That kind of thing.

Sightstone is a cool item, but it's not very fun. Make it fun.

AHeroNamedHawke

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oseoros View Post
Think of Ziggs as a worse Cass once you hit teamfights. He pokes, he kites, and he has one nuke. He can peel for himself a bit, but he has nowhere near the damage or utility. He has a much easier lane though.
The problem with Ziggs is that he is so goddamn hard to play. You have to be spot on with every single ability in order to keep up with the likes of Ori or Liss, who can just hit 2 buttons and gib a team.

Purgatory Ace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

On a completely unrelated topic Morello, I talked to you (and every other Rioter) at Pax about IP Inflation. I've also recently talked to Xelnath on it as well and he had interested fun (side) facts for me on the topic. Any chance you would check out my thread? I know it's the ecommerce departments job but I figured you could get the information passed along.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...9#post36420799

Serphs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Morello, do you know if all the champions will be playable by Worlds (bug wise and what not).

CoolStoryBrony

09-09-2013

Morello, what do you think about Swain, and DoT champions in general? We don't see them very often in the LCS compared to burst casters. Do you think Swain is where he needs to be, or is there something you'd like to change about him?

Wyl

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Kassadin: Too strong, but because he's so feast/famine. Needs some big work, but I'm at a loss on this one.

Zed: A bit too strong, but want to see longer term effects of previous nerfs. Not against more.

Ahri: Solid - pretty close, but popular right now.

Galio: Tough to make room for in a team, but doesn't have enough levers to balance. Needs light rework.

Taric: Same as above.

Ziggs: I think great in lane, does ??? late game in teamfights.

If I may add on this,

Kassadin : He got too much power in too many places; his kit indicates that he's supposed to do close up "melee-ish" things, like anti-mage from dota. However, he's played as a burst mage most of the time. On top of that, he's played as a burst mage without much AP items at all, you see most Kassadin's going for RoA and tear and they still do a ton of damage early. This indicates a lot of what is the difference between the "old" mages and the newer ones, the older ones have extremely high BASE damage on pretty much every skill (or short Cd, med damage) while new ones tend to have extremely high ratios or power curves. I don't understand why his single target spell does just as much damage as his AoE spell, neither why the silence is so long for how safe he is in most matchups, and neither why his E isn't more limited on the spamming part. You have two choices here in my opinion, you either want to support a true "anti-mage" style of champ, and thus reduce base damages/ratios, but increase things like Attack Speed, W strength, etc or promote the bursty-assassin playstyle while tuning down his safety (- silence duration, + mana cost, +CD) . His design is understandable yet a bit twisted.

Zed: I personally feel he is in a good place, he has some extremely strong moments but also can have extremely poor moments. There are a lot of things that can get in his way, be it a GA, a Kayle Ult, a QSS, a wild Fiddle's fear, etc. He does have a silly laning phase though, so that might be where you want to hit him. He has a high skill floor/cap, so he's a bit like Orianna in the way that they both have the potential to be extremely potent but the path is very hard to go through before unleashing that potential. He shouldn't be touched much more. People just need to understand how to counter him better. (I'm not targeting anyone, there are still Zed's who go on god mode here in Diamond just like in Bronze).

Ahri: I think she's borderline too strong, and I feel the thing that makes her that way is her level 6 power curve. Her Ultimate in general is extremely potent, so the only thing I'd recommand here is maybe increase its CD or Mana Cost, OR reduce the distance made with each leaps.

Galio: I might be biased here, because Galio is probably my best character, but I feel he has an extremely high potential. You have a lot of different playstyles with him which makes the character interesting and frightening. You can build him full tank/support and jungle/top, you can do an ap bruiser and go mid, top, or (my favorite) 1v2 bottom, or you can also just go almost full mage and still withstand a lot of damage. When you get used to the Q projectile speed and impact radius, that's a huge boost towards success. I think most important thing people don't realize (and thus dislike) is that you don't necessarily will be the star like you would with a standard mid or top. You'll be a team support with still incredible damage. Yes he has counterplay towards his Ultimate, yes he's almost useless up until he has chalice, but no he isn't useless as a Champion. If you really want my honest opinion here, I'm pretty sure he's TOO strong. His skill floor is just soared way up in the freaking skies.

Taric: I think Taric's problem is that he is extremely binary, you're basically telegraphing what you're gonna do with every little step you make. He does have a lot of hidden power through W and Ult though which is not bad, but could be extended further. I like the Melee beefy support aura (templar/paladin) style of champ that he represents, he just doesn't do it well enough. He's not too strong, neither too bad, he's just too easy to understand for all parties.

Ziggs: If you're a casual Ziggs player, he's an extremely balanced Champion. The better you get with him, the greater the nightmare is for your lane opponent. You remember when Soraka mid was the thing shortly in Season 2 (before they nerfed Starcall's range to hell) or the old's Karma Mantra'ed E on enemy minion? He's very similar. when you know how to use your Q and E properly, your enemies barely have a breathe between every bomb and they BARELY can CS safely, because if they get too close to their own CS, the Q explosion radius will still hit them. Mastering the bounces is harder, but here still, if you do it's ridiculously easy to stampede your lane with Ziggs. As the game goes on, he falls off a tad on the irritability scale, but still has a lot of DPS and zoning potency. Now that his Satchel Charge is easier to use now, it's also making him harder to punish for pushing lane and being out of position. He needs to be nerfed in his early game at the very least.

If you want to follow more of my content/opinions, be sure to check my big balance thread here (I will do a big update soon enough to reflect the things I said here better + some other things)

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2422094

Also shoot me an invite on LoL (WyL) if you want to play some games with a Diamond dude

Hexss

09-09-2013

Morello ty for taking the time to post. What are your thoughts on the current state of Miss Fortune?

I find Miss Fortune could use some attention. Her passive is frequently removed during team fights by mindless minion damage.

Her make it rain costs alot of mana, does little damage and slows for a short amount when you consider the small Diameter.

Her lack of mobility in fights makes her riskier to use than any other adc "even vayne". She has no dash or escape. Make it rain won't do much in this league full of gap closers, dashes and hard CC.

Miss fortune has very little counter play when targeted ( which happens every game).