Explanation behind IP removal on custom game please

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Synnister

09-09-2013

Explanation?

Riot doesn't like you having IP.
If they thought they could get away with it, there would be no IP period.
They want you to buy Riot Points.

There ya go.

Linna Excel

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Hey All,

I wanted to provide a bit of context for these changes. Before I begin though, let me reiterate the current restriction:
  • IP/XP for Custom Games are no longer rewarded unless there are half as many human players as the map was designed for (5 for SR, CS, and HA; 3 for TT)
  • It's still possible to play custom games any number of players (as long as it's not been restricted for load reasons)
The reason we did this was, as some of you had suspected, a reaction to players using bots to farm games for IP/XP. While in an ideal world we'd just ban the accounts and move on, the problem wasn't that people were using these bots on their main accounts to accrue ip/xp. Instead they were exploiting the refer a friend program by creating new bot accounts, leveling them up as referrals, and then giving another account the IP/RP rewards (which in turn they'd launder via other means). This made targeted bans not an effective solution, so instead we had to tackle the problem at its source. This wasn't a limited issue either; check out this report showing the distribution of game end times in NA for the month of July: http://imgur.com/wLFwRBq

Note that we were seeing over 40% of our games end at 6 minutes, and those games were almost completely one player bot games. Those bot accounts would immediately queue up after completing a game and repeat the cycle, which in addition to the rewards issues was also putting a good bit of load on our system.

It's unfortunate that this change ended up hitting players who were playing legitimate games, but our hope was that the affected player size would be very small and primarily only impact people doing things like testing out new champions. This thread and others have brought some light to a legitimate play pattern that we didn't anticipate would be a main form of engagement, and that'll cause some conversations on our end about what the next step forward here should be. It was our intention to evaluate the success of the changes later this week anyway, so once we have that data we'll be able to make an informed decision on if we can be more lax on the restriction.
This seems reasonable. However, newer players will kind of be thrown to the wolves in normals as while they can still use them to practice, they won't be able to use them to practice and farm up IP for a small selection of champs.

Heat 0n My Meat

09-09-2013

Quote:
Hey All,

I wanted to provide a bit of context for these changes. Before I begin though, let me reiterate the current restriction:
  • IP/XP for Custom Games are no longer rewarded unless there are half as many human players as the map was designed for (5 for SR, CS, and HA; 3 for TT)
  • It's still possible to play custom games any number of players (as long as it's not been restricted for load reasons)
The reason we did this was, as some of you had suspected, a reaction to players using bots to farm games for IP/XP. While in an ideal world we'd just ban the accounts and move on, the problem wasn't that people were using these bots on their main accounts to accrue ip/xp. Instead they were exploiting the refer a friend program by creating new bot accounts, leveling them up as referrals, and then giving another account the IP/RP rewards (which in turn they'd launder via other means). This made targeted bans not an effective solution, so instead we had to tackle the problem at its source. This wasn't a limited issue either; check out this report showing the distribution of game end times in NA for the month of July: http://imgur.com/wLFwRBq

Note that we were seeing over 40% of our games end at 6 minutes, and those games were almost completely one player bot games. Those bot accounts would immediately queue up after completing a game and repeat the cycle, which in addition to the rewards issues was also putting a good bit of load on our system.

It's unfortunate that this change ended up hitting players who were playing legitimate games, but our hope was that the affected player size would be very small and primarily only impact people doing things like testing out new champions. This thread and others have brought some light to a legitimate play pattern that we didn't anticipate would be a main form of engagement, and that'll cause some conversations on our end about what the next step forward here should be. It was our intention to evaluate the success of the changes later this week anyway, so once we have that data we'll be able to make an informed decision on if we can be more lax on the restriction.
There's a cap on how much IP you can earn through customs, and you earn more IP losing a normal game than winning a custom game.

I suspect the number of people using bots to play was not enough to cause a huge problem.

So pretty much the real reason is the most obvious reason: Riot wants less IP so people will consider spending more in RP.

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glutorals View Post
There's a cap on how much IP you can earn through customs, and you earn more IP losing a normal game than winning a custom game.

I suspect the number of people using bots to play was not enough to cause a huge problem.

So pretty much the real reason is the most obvious reason: Riot wants less IP so people will consider spending more in RP.
Because once the botters reached the IP limit on 1 account, they didn't switch to another account and continue to bot

/sarcasm

IS11d6327cb35cafc124891

09-09-2013

thx for ruining legit player. your restriction don't even affect refer a friend bots. They will still farm easily ip from coop or playing 5vs5 custom... just gg... remove this silly refer a friend instead. I played 9k games, and got 0rp from you. I would get ton of rp if i had multiple account with 1K games each. pfff you don't reward legit and long term player but instead reward the wrong people

XyzMinstrel

09-09-2013

Riot, I completely understand your intentions, but it is affecting us players who are 'unable' to play regular games for some time.

What I mean is that some us have to leave NA for quite some time (ex. work overseas, semester abroad, etc.) [couple of months - 1 year+] and the available internet connection in the countries we go to might hinder playing with other people.

Previously the solution for us would be to play 1 human player + AI vs AI custom game so that we can at least gain some IP/XP, and remain committed and interested in the game. Now if we kept playing custom games with not even the slightest reward, we will eventually lose interest in the game because we can no longer 'progress' or buy that new champ we desire. I agree with limiting the min. time required for IP/XP, but for please don't exclude us solo players. At times we have no choice but to play solo.

Beldori

09-09-2013

If folks are using bots to farm like this then whats to stop them from running 5 accounts at once to do the same thing regardless(or 3 for TT)? When it comes down to it the refer a friend is too easy to exploit since accounts are free

MeSoHonry

09-09-2013

Quote:
This made targeted bans not an effective solution, so instead we had to tackle the problem at its source. This wasn't a limited issue either; check out this report showing the distribution of game end times in NA for the month of July: http://imgur.com/wLFwRBq

What keeps bots from queuing and re-queuing for co-op vs ai matches? If they know how to queue for customs why not other match making?

I've seen several people playing like they're bots in co-op vs ai. Now that you mention the bot problem I think about the people I've run into who go 0/14 or 0/17 in co-op vs ai and never say anything all game. One thing I noticed is that they always buy whole items. They won't gradually buy the items needed to build a rod of ages, instead they start with 0 items in lane and build the rod of ages when they get the 2-3000(?) gold needed for the whole thing. They do this with every item (I've seen a surge of people doing this lately).

Just throwing this out there because I'm curious on what keeps a bot from going in co-op vs ai and like I said they behave like a bot, it's not that they're just bad at playing, they also seem to be unaware of the danger of engaging a lane with 3-5 enemy champions even if this means repeatedly dying. They never ask for help/never say anything/never respond to you, they never stop and hang at their tower for a second or two they just go straight for minion kills, and they never wander like a normal human (in the grass or killing jungle minions).

Sakuri Ono

09-09-2013

Quote:
^^^

Yeah, RAF needs to be reviewed and possibly reworked, I agree.
Skins need to be removed and put in the shop IMO. :-\ Kind of annoying if you love a champion (Twitch) only to have his best skin pretty much be impossible to obtain for your average user. I'll be honest; been tempted more than once to abuse your RAF system myself to try and get it.

Or at least an 'opt out' option of the insignificant rewards to get the better would be nice.

I.E: Receive no IP, RP, or Rune Page; but get Med. Twitch @ 10 friends.

Then I might be interested in legitimately trying.

But 50? Come on...

TootlesTheGoon

09-09-2013

I usually just hop into customs games when I get tired of playing ranked after some bad games, or just when I'm bored and wanna try out some absurd build (let's see how much HP farm I can get on Sion).
While I suppose I still may do so now and then, the fact that I could get a little IP from doing these solo matches was nice to have, since it meant that I could still work on saving up IP without having to deal with the stress of PVP.