Explanation behind IP removal on custom game please

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesbro123

09-09-2013

Continue Bumping until we get an Official Response!

Hexanna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Bump.

papahowz

09-09-2013

Gonna keep bumping this...

sweetheart326

09-09-2013

bump

Warlor

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hichigo View Post
So quit playing the game. Greed from a company who gives you a free to play game. You've done it, my mind has been blow.

People like you really exist. Please do humanity a favor and never reproduce.
Free to play is a business model. Like it or not Riot is a company not a charity. So next time get your facts strait before you go sounding like a complete ass.

Warlor

09-09-2013

I just posted a support ticket linking this thread, hopefully that will get their attention.

Brackhar

Features Designer

09-09-2013
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Hey All,

I wanted to provide a bit of context for these changes. Before I begin though, let me reiterate the current restriction:

• IP/XP for Custom Games are no longer rewarded unless there are half as many human players as the map was designed for (5 for SR, CS, and HA; 3 for TT)
  • It's still possible to play custom games any number of players (as long as it's not been restricted for load reasons)
The reason we did this was, as some of you had suspected, a reaction to players using bots to farm games for IP/XP. While in an ideal world we'd just ban the accounts and move on, the problem wasn't that people were using these bots on their main accounts to accrue ip/xp. Instead they were exploiting the refer a friend program by creating new bot accounts, leveling them up as referrals, and then giving another account the IP/RP rewards (which in turn they'd launder via other means). This made targeted bans not an effective solution, so instead we had to tackle the problem at its source. This wasn't a limited issue either; check out this report showing the distribution of game end times in NA for the month of July: http://imgur.com/wLFwRBq

Note that we were seeing over 40% of our games end at 6 minutes, and those games were almost completely one player bot games. Those bot accounts would immediately queue up after completing a game and repeat the cycle, which in addition to the rewards issues was also putting a good bit of load on our system.

It's unfortunate that this change ended up hitting players who were playing legitimate games, but our hope was that the affected player size would be very small and primarily only impact people doing things like testing out new champions. This thread and others have brought some light to a legitimate play pattern that we didn't anticipate would be a main form of engagement, and that'll cause some conversations on our end about what the next step forward here should be. It was our intention to evaluate the success of the changes later this week anyway, so once we have that data we'll be able to make an informed decision on if we can be more lax on the restriction.

Falling Objects

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Hey All,

<Snip>
Has the team responsible for this sort of thing considered simply adding (harsher) limits to the amounts of rewards you can receive for playing a solo game?

Such as, "You can only gain exp/IP from 6 solo custom games in a 24 hour period" (Defined as a custom game in which there is only one player)
And/or
"Games that are finished before 15 minutes result in 50% less gained IP/exp, along with counting double towards your solo game limit"

That way the players who are playing legitimate solo games aren't affected since they fall into neither category.

The people who want stress free games, or who are trying to learn a new champion/game/itembuild/dicking off probably won't hit the 6 full length custom cap in any given day, nor will they likely have games shorter than 15 minutes since they're not bumrushing the nexus.

And players trying to rapidly level smurf accounts (For any reason) encounter both a soft and hard cap that forces them to take the normal route of hitting 30. Reduced exp = soft cap, 6 games a day = hard cap.

papahowz

09-09-2013

Thank you a lot for the response, Brackhar! I am pleased that this change is at least getting reviewed. Thanks again!

Xornov

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Hey All,

I wanted to provide a bit of context for these changes. Before I begin though, let me reiterate the current restriction:
  • IP/XP for Custom Games are no longer rewarded unless there are half as many human players as the map was designed for (5 for SR, CS, and HA; 3 for TT)
  • It's still possible to play custom games any number of players (as long as it's not been restricted for load reasons)
The reason we did this was, as some of you had suspected, a reaction to players using bots to farm games for IP/XP. While in an ideal world we'd just ban the accounts and move on, the problem wasn't that people were using these bots on their main accounts to accrue ip/xp. Instead they were exploiting the refer a friend program by creating new bot accounts, leveling them up as referrals, and then giving another account the IP/RP rewards (which in turn they'd launder via other means). This made targeted bans not an effective solution, so instead we had to tackle the problem at its source. This wasn't a limited issue either; check out this report showing the distribution of game end times in NA for the month of July: http://imgur.com/wLFwRBq

Note that we were seeing over 40% of our games end at 6 minutes, and those games were almost completely one player bot games. Those bot accounts would immediately queue up after completing a game and repeat the cycle, which in addition to the rewards issues was also putting a good bit of load on our system.

It's unfortunate that this change ended up hitting players who were playing legitimate games, but our hope was that the affected player size would be very small and primarily only impact people doing things like testing out new champions. This thread and others have brought some light to a legitimate play pattern that we didn't anticipate would be a main form of engagement, and that'll cause some conversations on our end about what the next step forward here should be. It was our intention to evaluate the success of the changes later this week anyway, so once we have that data we'll be able to make an informed decision on if we can be more lax on the restriction.
You are actually going to sit there and tell us that you can't track the ip/rp they are getting from the refer a friend program and where it ends up? How badly is your system set up? Launder indeed, i call BS on you sir, totaly and utterly.

Also it seems to me that the problem is the refer a friend program(its been changed twice since i started playing to stop people from "abusing it")maybe its time to take a look at removing it as it only ever seems to be used by people taking advantage of it instead of screwing up another part of the game to try and fix it, you know the whole send the cat after the bird and the dog after the cat and the cow after the dog routine.