Petition for Creator Viktors' E

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

guiotine

09-06-2013

I actually prefer it the way it is, because between the two lasers, the orange one looks like it is a lot more powerful, because it looks like it could actually burn it's target, which is what it does. The black one may or may not look cooler (that is completely subjective and up for debate), but the orange one definitely far better fulfills the role of an improved version of the death ray. Just look at it, the orange beam seems to be a more focused laser, and you can far better see the ground melting as it passes by. Yeah, they both leave a small scar in the earth, but the black laser simply does not transmit the feeling of power Viktor is supposed to have when he has Augment: Death.

I must say I love the now sound for his E though, it sounds like a mini version of a reaper from Mass Effect

video for those people who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbbwmxN5GQ

edit: I just realized the video doesn't show the two different lasers, so here is a picture showing them:
Name:  Death Ray.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  107.8 KB

Ask the Herald

09-06-2013

I approve and support this motion.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiotine View Post
I actually prefer it the way it is, because between the two lasers, the orange one looks like it is a lot more powerful, because it looks like it could actually burn it's target, which is what it does. The black one may or may not look cooler (that is completely subjective and up for debate), but the orange one definitely far better fulfills the role of an improved version of the death ray. Just look at it, the orange beam seems to be a more focused laser, and you can far better see the ground melting as it passes by. Yeah, they both leave a small scar in the earth, but the black laser simply does not transmit the feeling of power Viktor is supposed to have when he has Augment: Death.

I must say I love the now sound for his E though, it sounds like a mini version of a reaper from Mass Effect

video for those people who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbbwmxN5GQ

edit: I just realized the video doesn't show the two different lasers, so here is a picture showing them:
Attachment 775163
Thanks for the pic.

Yeah, Augmented Death Laser looks like it actually would start fires. It's cool.

TootlesTheGoon

09-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiotine View Post

Attachment 775163
Thank you for posting the video and pic!
While I still prefer the look of the un-augmented E, I do understand your reasoning, to an extent.
Still, it would be nice to get a Red response on the subject of why your item build changes the cosmetics of the skin.
And I still stand by my feelings that the augmented E looks far too similar to his base E's appearance (as in, its appearance in his classic skin). It seems like it'd be a better option to make its appearance static.

TootlesTheGoon

09-07-2013

Going to semi-regularly bump this for a better chance of a red seeing it.
PARROT WHERE ART (hurdur cwutididthar) THOU

SticklerMac

09-07-2013

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that they made the unaugmented laser look cooler on purpose. Reason? Everyone augments Death, they are hoping to get people to try other augments.

Also I'll add that I think the augmented laser looks better.

Djiimon

09-07-2013

+1

TootlesTheGoon

09-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticklerMac View Post
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that they made the unaugmented laser look cooler on purpose. Reason? Everyone augments Death, they are hoping to get people to try other augments.

Also I'll add that I think the augmented laser looks better.
Not a bad guess, in all honesty. I've found it hard to say whether or not most people do usually go the path of Augment: Death, since I've only encountered one other Viktor player (by which I mean someone who actually had an idea of what they were doing, and weren't just first-time playing him on a freeweek, but imo, Death is the best choice out of them all.

GhostStalker

09-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootlesTheGoon View Post
Not a bad guess, in all honesty. I've found it hard to say whether or not most people do usually go the path of Augment: Death, since I've only encountered one other Viktor player (by which I mean someone who actually had an idea of what they were doing, and weren't just first-time playing him on a freeweek, but imo, Death is the best choice out of them all.
Pretty ****ty reasoning on riots part if that's true. It's Mathematically proven that Death Augment is just better.

Bitsplosion

Associate VFX Artist

09-08-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Heyo! I've seen this sentiment a couple times, and I totally see where you're coming from. Usually in skin terms, more different from base = higher cool-factor so to speak. While I'm a fan of the black disintegration-beam look too, as we looked at the skin over many team reviews the team agreed on a couple points that lead to this combination.

Primarily, the white-hot look of the Augmented laser actually looks more powerful mostly by way of brightness. In addition and as Guiotine mentioned, we felt the brighter and more fiery color palette matched the DoT component in a more intuitive way. Even from outside skins team, there were a lot more "whoa!"s when people saw the Augmented beam, even right after the normal one. After all was said and done, we ultimately settled on the current setup.

The main thing though, if you haven't had the chance, I'd encourage you to try it out and see how it feels in-game. The Augmented version has more aggressive motion in the beam/impact point as it carves across the ground, and mixed with the sound it's a pretty epic combo. VFX are designed to be seen in motion!

Hope that sheds some light on the current implementation!