What would you like to talk about tonight?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hid

09-03-2013

Do you have anything to say about the ''Meta''? Because currently it's always Top, Bottom, Adc, Support, Jungle... It's probably better for competitive play, but it's less fun in my opinion. It also creates alot of toxicity because if you don't follow the Meta you get reported and people are verbally abusive to you in game.

Evangelos

09-03-2013

What's the best way to stay motivated? I'm currently working on a project that's very important to me, but I'm having a hard time keeping the ball rolling.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiotine View Post
trying to think of something to ask about, since Xerath and Viktor were asked about already...

is there someplace where I could see "counterplay" as defined by the rioters? I think a lot of people have their own definitions, and it would be a great frame of reference for when changes are made due to a "lack of counterplay". Personally, I usually think of counterplay as something that means you are given a chance to see what an enemy is going to do and react to it, while still giving the enemy a chance to land his attack. In another sense, how does Riot determine what has counterplay and what doesn't, and do you include building an item for countering an attack as part of counterplay? Like, do you consider buying a Banshee's veil to stop Ahri's charm so she can't devastate you as counterplay?
I guess it's literal, like counter pick is picking a champion to counter, counter build is picking an item to counter, and counter play would be using some of the commonly accessible actions in order to counter. Unique actions that are only available thru exclusive skills like hard CC or reach are more under counter pick.

But that's just me guessing.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

09-03-2013
22 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredge Mammus View Post
1) Who's your favorite champion?

2) Can you tell Gypsylord (when you get the chance) that I am enjoying Vi?
Nocturne in theme. Kha'zix in lore+gameplay. Rengar rework because omg, rocket kat.

There's also a future champion coming out who I'm totally enamoured with, because, awesome cool and and then , then finally focuses and the entire enemy team. Wow!

I got the chacne give a ton of artistic and creative input on it to Bravo Ray who kicked ass. I'm sure you will too when it's time.

Gypsylord already knows. He's been watching you. O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
Any word on Yorick or has that been shelved while you work on Season 4? If so any word or hints you can give on what you're doing for Season 4? I hear the jungle's layout will be changed and that supports will be fixed (can buy items, won't just be wardbots).

Also have you ever thought about if you were given the chance to create a champion whether you'd involve the community like you have with Xerath's and Yorick's reworks? Like first talking to the community about figuring out the champs role and theme then skills, personality etc? If so you should get Ironstylus involved as he'd be great in getting the visuals together.
Yeah, sorry, he's basically on ice right now while we sort out Season 4. Turns out there was a lot of work that had to be handled, so I haven't done any iteration since the first pass. I liked the idea, but there was a lot of work remaining to be done

You know, I'd love to work on a champion with Iron Stylus someday, but I constantly get the nagging feeling there's far bigger issues for me to help resolve at Riot right now. However, since I totally want to work with the Lord Parrot on something, maybe we'll try doing something more focused and less intensive together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies to Wolves View Post
Can you cook?

Also, what kind of music do you enjoy?
I can make steak, but my little brother was the cook in the family. He also joined the department of homeland security, surfs and does model photography in NYC. I'm very proud of him. I think he doesn't realize it though.

It's actually deathly quiet in my apartment right now. There's no music playing. I don't generally fill the silence with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGrenade View Post
Hey Xelnath, do you have any hints for us about some changes for Season 4?
Any new game modes coming? Any new buffs? New maps? Etc.

Thanks for doing this thread, it's nice to see.
Sorry, season 4 is focused on improving what we have now, increasing the overall health of the game and trying to up the overall quality of the summoner's rift experience. I'm afraid I don't have anything super sexy to talk about.

... I would love to talk about some of our philosophy going into this heavy rework though, but I need to wait for Morello to give an internal talk about this topic *cough* Morello *cough*.

Quote:
What did you do to keep from becoming completely overwhelmed when you were making your first steps into the game industry?
I didn't. I overwhelmed myself and flunked out of my first game-dev job as a producer. Way too overstressed - took EVERY problem as my own and didn't help people focus. I just got back up and tried again.

Quote:
Will u stop answering weird questions?
No. The wierd ones are the fun ones to answer. The broken record questions aren't.

MostlySilent

09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermaester View Post
Well, he doesn't like to fully trust anyone because he said his mom used to tell him that she'd be there for his graduation and when he gets married and all that, but she never will be. He tries pushing me away because he doesn't want anyone hurting him like his mom did to him. Even sometimes when I give him a hug he'll say "you hug me just like my mom used to". I'm in the same boat as you xelnath, I didn't lose my mom so I really don't fully understand him..
Honestly,

I lost my dad in a similar situation of promises and such.

I was mad for a little bit, but I realized it's not like he did it on purpose. Nobody could've helped me through that one, nobody talking to me was going to help out with it because nobody else, "Got it"

There's a whole lot of nothing you can do about it, any attempts will honestly make it worse. You have to choose if it's worth it to you at this point. If that's the way he's going to be, that's the way he's going to be.

I'm not arguing he should just, "Get over it" or anything. Everyone is different, everyone reacts differently, it's why you can't do anything about it. Even someone who had a similar situation can't, because it was similar, not the same. He has to get through it and he obviously hasn't.

You can't fix this. Decide your next move knowing it may get better now, it may never.

JamDubs

09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvarin View Post
What's the best way to stay motivated? I'm currently working on a project that's very important to me, but I'm having a hard time keeping the ball rolling.
I'll answer this for Xelnath-

To Hell with motivation, truck on through it like a man. That's not even an insult, I am dead serious. If you only wait for motivation to get through something, you'll never get anything done. Cultivate discipline, get things done, and sleep with beautiful women.
Or dudes, I dunno your gender or your preference. Point is, screw motivation. Motivate yourself.

IS1c5019c283e69d4080426

09-03-2013

Do you ever regret a certain theme for a champion and wish you could change it, I.E:

"Syndra would've worked a lot better if she was a robot...."

Speaking of, what do you think of Syndra lore/theme wise?

Pikachu

09-03-2013

Will there be more support for clans within league of legends?

Elewd

09-03-2013

Alright time for a long question type thing.

What if there was a champion who had 0 base attack damage, and had a passive that made their auto attacks scale off of their ability power and do magic damage. they would start with 50 ap and their skills enhanced their autoattacks, Like making them aoe for a short while, or dealing double damage,

Would this be too strong? Would it be too weak? would it be balanceable at all?
Im mostly curious because all of the Magical gods on Smite work in this sense (and a good majority of them are blatantly overpowered) So im curious what someone from the Riot team would think about this type of mechanic.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

09-03-2013
23 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farranor View Post
What are your thoughts on the interactions between lifesteal, spell vamp, physical damage, magical damage, Rylai's, and Frozen Mallet?
It's a bit complicated, but it seems to be working.