Where The Support Mains At!?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Electrøn

08-29-2013

I am a support main. I play Teemo as a ward.

Killzerz

08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i tend to play support more than anything else right now, but that's mostly because of how much i love nami. :3

as far as advice goes, probably the most beneficial thing i could say is invest in g/10. it is so important—the earlier you can get it, the better.

g/10 cost to maintain support consumables:
sight ward - 4.16g/10 each
vision ward - 6.94g/10 each (cost is 1.66g/10 less for every 'ward kill average per pink')
oracle's - 16.66g/10

assuming you have philo, kage's, g/10 quints, and g/10 masteries (14g/10 total), you have enough bonus g/10 to keep two pink wards out at all time without cutting into your ambient, assist, or objective gold. with ruby on top of that, you can have 5 wards out on the map at all times without cutting into your base gold generation (which can all be going toward oracle's and item growth).
I suppose that makes sense. I only worry that most of the gp/10 quints/seals and gp items have poor stats for a support, especially early on. Perhaps it is just the meta, but Philo is more of a poke item, which most supports outside of Lulu cannot do safely or efficiently. Whereas if you are playing Thresh or Sona (or pretty much most meta supports now), it is much better to have a Sightstone and a Kindlegem for the all-ins. And Kage's is...meh at best. Don't get me wrong, I like the end items, but the gp/10s now outside of Sightstone are just sub par.

The early rune advantage helps make it so that early game your ADC gets about 10 more CS if you play it right on average. They need the gold more than you do, AND whose to say that 25 armor doesn't translate well into lategame as "free" stats (armor seals + Quints instead of gp/10)? That's about 500 gold worth of stats, which would otherwise take 17 minutes with gp/10s to get. I personally feel it is better to snowball the game in those first 17 minutes rather than wait until 17 minutes to be cost effective.

Maybe since you are a Rioter, you can see that gp/10 quints and seals need more help to remain viable, and that Kage's and Philo need something more to be viable as well. (Philo can be argued; perhaps it just isn't meta right now but still a good item; Kage's though...)

Schaminater

08-29-2013

Treat wards like ashe's hawkshot. Instead shorter range and permanent.

Better Ban Sona

08-29-2013

Just gonna note, if it hasn't already been said, that many of the GD regulars are support mains. It seems those who enjoy playing support tend to visit the forums more than those who main other roles.

SlumlordThanatos

08-29-2013

I tend to play support more than any other role, for a couple reasons.

First, it's relaxing. I don't have to worry so much about having to CS. I can just sit in a bush and poke to my heart's content.

Second, I'm a team player. If no one else wants to support, I'm usually more than willing to fill that role.

Just don't make me play top.

zeroechosmile

08-29-2013

Support all the way!!!!!!!!

Someone HAS to do it, most people dislike it, I just happen to enjoy it. (:

A tip for games that have first tier towers down already, is to ward baron. Always buy pink wards for this and dragon. Around that time you should be getting oracles as well and clearing out enemy wards, this allows for your team have great vision, where there's has darkened. When in team fights, stay towards the back and protect the ADC's, they will be focused down extremely fast. Most importantly, and I have mentioned this already is to WARD you have no idea how many times a well placed ward by me, playing as Nami has seen the enemy team hiding in a bush, and wave ult them, or seen the invasion, and allowed for us to get out the f out of there.

And for the ADC's, do NOT bully your support, if they get a kill on a someone who has ran, it's better for you to get an assist than for them to get away. Or if you are playing as a Janna and she initiates with her tornado and it accidentally picks up a creep, but you get like 2 kills, do not degrade them for that. The kills are more important, in this instance than losing a few creeps.

Also, when playing solo queue support, try to be encouraging to the ADC if they are struggling. If your lane is getting heavily pushed, don't be afraid to do something risky, if you need it, such as a flash Janna ult, forcing the enemies into your turret. Not that I recommend doing this at all, but you get the idea. Just because you are a support, doesn't mean you can't initiate too(:

simpsonboy77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2013

Support main checking in.

I disagree that philo is a bad purchase. It is not always the best buy, but it is quite good. During laning phase what do you need as a support? Dual regen and gold are some of the most important stats. Depending on the matchup the sustain it gives can translate directly into a gold lead on the ADCs. Sona/lulu can use the mana regen to poke harder and zone better. Leona can use the hp regen to absorb poke, or regen after an all in that left the enemy at low hp. If your jungler is counter jungling the enemy, you can go a bit lighter on wards since ganks are not a threat.

Sightstone is a MUST BUY. For theorycrafting you can think of the wards it gives at g/10. It gives 2 wards, which is 150g/180s which comes out to 8.3g/10. The hp it gives is quite substantial also. It also gives you freedom to be liberal with your wards. Learn to rotate your wards. If you are on purple side, do you ward dragon or tri brush first? Well it depends, if you feel you are going to have your blue invaded, ward tri first. If a fight breaks out near your blue you can ward a brush for vision while keeping vision on dragon; a chokepoint for escaping or reinforcements.

Learn about minion momentum and wave control. This is mostly controlled by the adc, but know when you should AA minions. Against graves soraka, they are going to hard push the lane all day. Setup minions for last hits under turret. Attack minions before they get in range. Take minion aggro to keep the wave off the turret if you are trying to freeze the lane.

Another thing I rarely see is the support ganking other lanes. If I'm leona or another heavy CC support I will look to gank mid. If my ADC backs and we are pushed, what am I going to spend 200 gold on? I'd have to be completely out of wards to warrant a recall then.

The support is about 75% of the reason bot lane will win or lose. Try janna in low elo, she MAKES your adc have good positioning. If they are out of position she moves everyone off your carry.

Dubstep Viking

08-29-2013

Not ranked or anything and still trying to improve, but I mainly play Nami, Soraka, Sona and on occasion, Alistar.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

08-29-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killzerz View Post
The early rune advantage helps make it so that early game your ADC gets about 10 more CS if you play it right on average. They need the gold more than you do, AND whose to say that 25 armor doesn't translate well into lategame as "free" stats (armor seals + Quints instead of gp/10)? That's about 500 gold worth of stats, which would otherwise take 17 minutes with gp/10s to get. I personally feel it is better to snowball the game in those first 17 minutes rather than wait until 17 minutes to be cost effective.
well, g/10 seals aren't in a great place right now. not because the g/10 isn't good, but because pretty much no one in the game can afford to not take +13 armor right now. quints are certainly viable—it's very common for pros to take 1 or more g/10 quints (regardless of support champion). part of the reason players make the trade-off for seals and not quints is that running armor quints likely won't help your team as much as getting your g/10 items earlier, or being able to afford and extra ward or two when leaving the fountain. so assuming you're not the type to mix and match your runes within a given type, i'd recommend the following:
2.25 g/10 < 13 armor
3.00 g/10 > 12 armor

as for whether to build philo or sightstone first, there are actually reasons for both (it depends on whether the lane is often pushed or pulled, how easily you're controlling the lane brush, the enemy jungler, and timing). the important thing is to finish one as quickly as possible. if you aren't sure which to get first, i'd almost always recommend getting philo—the first support to get their philosopher's stone often has an advantage in the vision war once mid game rolls into that.

also, lucky pick is really good. the g/10 is nice of course, but more importantly the items it builds into are really good for supports—having twin shadows or morellonomicon can have a huge effect later in a game. that said, kage's ends up being a luxury item more often than not.

RetroTypes

08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
well, g/10 seals aren't in a great place right now. not because the g/10 isn't good, but because pretty much no one in the game can afford to not take +13 armor right now. quints are certainly viable—it's very common for pros to take 1 or more g/10 quints (regardless of support champion). part of the reason players make the trade-off for seals and not quints is that running armor quints likely won't help your team as much as getting your g/10 items earlier, or being able to afford and extra ward or two when leaving the fountain. so assuming you're not the type to mix and match your runes within a given type, i'd recommend the following:
2.25 g/10 < 13 armor
3.00 g/10 > 12 armor

as for whether to build philo or sightstone first, there are actually reasons for both (it depends on whether the lane is often pushed or pulled, how easily you're controlling the lane brush, the enemy jungler, and timing). the important thing is to finish one as quickly as possible. if you aren't sure which to get first, i'd almost always recommend getting philo—the first support to get their philosopher's stone often has an advantage in the vision war once mid game rolls into that.

also, lucky pick is really good. the g/10 is nice of course, but more importantly the items it builds into are really good for supports—having twin shadows or morellonomicon can have a huge effect later in a game. that said, kage's ends up being a luxury item more often than not.
I have to disagree about Philo being the higher priority, whether your lane is being pushed or if you have it under control. The sooner you get your Sightstone, the sooner you can stop buying as many wards manually from the shop, and focus only on pinks and THEN your Philo. Plus the extra health from SS is really only useful early on with how small it is.