Do you see what I see? (Brush & Fog of War Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Masalar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2013

Here's a 3rd question. (Man I need to not do this at work, makes it so I can't look into any of this). How does it handle something like Fiddlesticks's fear? It's point click without damage. Also, for Nunu's Ice Blast...given how long a person can run from it, given its slow move speed, how long does Nunu stay revealed? From casting 'til damage? For X amount of time after casting? For X amount of time after damage? I'm actually mainly just curious on that one.

CynicalGiant

08-26-2013

Skillshots should be entirely visible in Fog of War but not the player firing it. Not just in bushes.

Single target spells should show the player and the ability in bushes always.

If you make it so Nunu is seen in bushes while ulting ramp up the MS slow on it.

PowerbIade

08-26-2013

What about Teemo? Every time someone steps on a shroom, will Teemo be revealed for a few seconds?

Arezslan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2013

Once the skillshot is thrown it should instantly reveal the caster if he's in the bush. That should probably balance the frustration of newer players while not taking power away from the ability. Leave everything as it is except that. Also don't touch nunu's ultimate. Rioterz already tried this and it caused a ****storm. People like that about the champion so thats like removing the stealth from rengar's ult...

MUNCHBOT 9000

08-26-2013

If autos didnt reveal, bot lane would just be two ADCs farming in the bushes all game and both supports would just buy oracles so their camping spot can't be warded.

Shadower3b

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been quiet for a while so for those of you who who don't know me I'm Yakaru and I'm one of the Senior Gameplay Engineers. I'm pretty well known as a hardcore tabletop gamer and for my Ninja 300 motorcycle.

I've been looking at fog of war and brush and I've noticed a lot of things that are strange, which made me realize the rules for brush/fog aren't as clean and consistent as they could be. If you have a few minutes would you mind sharing your thoughts with me?

Here's some facts:
* Autoattacks will always reveal you through brush
* Nunu's ultimate (Absolute Zero) doesn't reveal him in brush while he's charging
* Blitzcrank Rocket Grabs will show you his fist but not Blitzcrank himself
* Nidalee throwing her spears (Q) also doesn't reveal her
* Taric's Dazzle does reveal him
* Nunu's Iceball will reveal him

I can get into the details of why it's like this, but the more important question is how SHOULD it work and why?

My gut instincts are that any 'aggressive' action should probably reveal you -- if a spell is dealing damage, slows, roots, or stuns, for example, it should reveal the caster. This is an easy to understand rule and is very easy to understand and explain to new players, but I'm not sure about this, what do you guys think?

Thanks much!
~Yakaru
What about the fog of war map bug where you can see champions appear in the fog of war and randomly teleport to a lane, its a big issue and can really affect the end game results.

XxxLumberJackxxX

08-26-2013

All spells should reveal, except MAYBE flash

Boyahda

08-26-2013

Instead of worrying with these little changes, how about fixing the long standing (6 months+?) bug of champions just appearing out of the fog of war and then reappearing somewhere else. It's a big ****ing problem and it bothers me that Riot doesn't even acknowledge it's existence.

Urdnot Entar

08-26-2013

I would say skill shots such as Nidalee's spear should definitely reveal the caster in brush. And definitely make Nunu's ult show up even when he's in a bush. Nunu may need a buff to compensate, however.

Not sure about fog of war though.

Unversable13

The Council

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyahda View Post
Instead of worrying with these little changes, how about fixing the long standing (6 months+?) bug of champions just appearing out of the fog of war and then reappearing somewhere else. It's a big ****ing problem and it bothers me that Riot doesn't even acknowledge it's existence.
This happens to me so often it's not even funny. It needs to be fixed.