Do you see what I see? (Brush & Fog of War Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yakaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

08-26-2013
1 of 23 Riot Posts

Hi everyone,

I've been quiet for a while so for those of you who who don't know me I'm Yakaru and I'm one of the Senior Gameplay Engineers. I'm pretty well known as a hardcore tabletop gamer and for my Ninja 300 motorcycle.

I've been looking at fog of war and brush and I've noticed a lot of things that are strange, which made me realize the rules for brush/fog aren't as clean and consistent as they could be. If you have a few minutes would you mind sharing your thoughts with me?

Here's some facts:
* Autoattacks will always reveal you through brush
* Nunu's ultimate (Absolute Zero) doesn't reveal him in brush while he's charging
* Blitzcrank Rocket Grabs will show you his fist but not Blitzcrank himself
* Nidalee throwing her spears (Q) also doesn't reveal her
* Taric's Dazzle does reveal him
* Nunu's Iceball will reveal him

I can get into the details of why it's like this, but the more important question is how SHOULD it work and why?

My gut instincts are that any 'aggressive' action should probably reveal you -- if a spell is dealing damage, slows, roots, or stuns, for example, it should reveal the caster. This is an easy to understand rule and is very easy to understand and explain to new players, but I'm not sure about this, what do you guys think?

Thanks much!
~Yakaru

Aroph

08-26-2013

I concur.

EDIT: I personally wouldn't want Nunu ultimate to be visible, because it's created thousands of funny moments for everyone that's played this game. I'm quite positive that many of us would miss it, even the people that fell victim to it many times.

Romeemperor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2013

I like it the way it is. Skillshots shouldn't reveal because they aren't guaranteed to land. Targeted abilities reveal as they should, because the effect is guaranteed and it leaves room for possible counterattack.

Edit : However, feel free to clean up some skillshots remaining invisible when fired from brush/FoW (Nidalee's Spear comes to mind)

Raiyn

08-26-2013

Anything (aggressive edit lol) you do in a bush should reveal you.

Also go buy a 500cc Suzuki GSXR. It makes Ninja's...well it makes them feel bad about what they are ;P

Mafia Goat

08-26-2013

just seems like common sense that aggressive actions should reveal you.

NightFire666

08-26-2013

Actually while Nid has her Q active for casting she should be revealed. Annoying as hell in ARAM since wards can't be bought.

Master Yi is UP

08-26-2013

Personal opinion:
Skillshot should not reveal the users.

But point and click spells should reveal the user on cast.

Im 730 elo

08-26-2013

I think autos revealing is ok.

I like when things like blitz grabs don't reveal him, but the nunu thing... ok that just doesn't make sense how his entire ult is invisible like that. That needs to be visible, maybe not nunu himself but at least the giant swirling blizzard maybe?

The Everliving

08-26-2013

You guys really need to mow that grass. It's pretty tall, and there's some guy in armor who's constantly trying to cut it, but it's not working. All he does is yell and spin. give him a hand.

Edit: On a more serious note, I feel that certain things should only be visible once they leave the fog or brush.

Narssisstic

08-26-2013

I would sorta hate to lose the ability to pull off sneaky Nunu ults (So many fond memories, plus, Empire!), but if it makes things more consistent, I could probably live with it.