I got Plat II playing almost exclusively Swain

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tatsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2013

Please don't change Swain. I love his feel. I really love how he actually *feels* like a master tactician. When I first played him, I hated him. Couldn't use him well. didn't like DoTs. Just useless champ to me. But as I got to play him more and more randomly, I slowly learned to love his "General" feel.

When I play him, I feel in command. Like I have to make the moves and the initiates. Or if they initiate/gank me, I have an answer with a perfectly timed W. If I miss it, then yes, I failed, but it's the most satisfying thing in the world to get out of it without flashing just because you anticipated everything. His Q is actually a perfect compliment for anything. Last hitting, slowing to full combo, etc.

Late game he's exactly my type of guy. Front line champion. I usually play melee champs (Zed, Gragas, junglers) so I love being on the front line. And I honestly think my favorite aspect of him is his spellvamp ult. So I can visibly get low, but then suddenly heal it up to full while not seemingly doing too much damage (Oh but I am), which means they won't really focus me most of the time.

Anyways, Swain is my secret love. #1 mid. And his playstyle is probably just perfect to me. So please don't change!

Spiritofryu

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
Swain is a pretty powerful champion under the right circumstances, but is typically seen as unpopular. We generally attribute this to his 3 DoT spells and the one delayed skillshot, as deferred reward in our game are appreciated/valued less unless their power is pretty massive (think Death Mark)). That said, a few questions for you sir:

1. Do you feel like you don't have -enough- items to build? Which stats are most important to you as a Swain player? I've always felt like i needed Mana, Mana regen, Health, AP, CDR, Pen, and then Resists - and have often found it difficult to itemize overall.

2. Without buffing Swain (you can err on this a little), do you have any suggestions to make the lives of Swain players easier (QoL) or simply more fun? (PSA: We consider QoL typically as changes that smooth out a champion that aren't power-level focused - adding ratios, ranges, etc don't count typically)

3. What do you feel like is Swain's 'fantasy' as a game goes on - what do you feel defines him? Champions like Ezreal and Vayne want to dart around a fight dealing damage and kiting, Mages like Syndra and Veigar want to set up and then crush their opponent in one blow - what do you think is your 'I am Epic' moment for Swain?

3a. If you do have an endgame fantasy that you think fits Swain, do you think it's working out atm? Are there things you think we could do to improve on it?

(This isn't a precursor to a 'Let's Talk' thread or a Swain rework, just up late watching Gamescom and sincerely interested in what you'd answer as a Swain player.)

Let me know what you think.
remember that episode of family guy where stewie buys a plane ticket to that guys house rings his door bell and slaps him? thats what i will do to you if you rework swain.

KYU22

08-25-2013

I just played a game where a Jarvan on the other team locked me up with his adc and mid, and all I could think of was, I'm not locked up in here with you, you're locked up in here with me. Just one of my better League moments. Question though, how do you deal with long range pokey mids like ziggs, lux, and TF? They just spam their abilities from miles away, and if I try to engage I just get kited.

Belharion

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demagoguery View Post

Edit 2:

What if instead of just regenerating mana off of his passive, he gains it for killing a unit? As in his passive is like that of Nasus's Q, Veiger's Q, or Sion's E? That way it still has a similar function to its original form, by acting as a sort of mana regen method, but it lets him build up some more mana without having to invest so much gold into it.

You'd have to reduce the amount he gains, but it would really make his life better, and allow him to have a higher mana pool over time.
Passive mana gain... That sounds awesome. Definitely fits into the "the longer this goes, the more powerful I become" aspect of Swain. Archangel's would definitely be a must-have if this actually goes through though.

Fubby3

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Spoon Lord View Post
Fubby, can you tell me your thoughts on tear of the goddess on Swain?
I dont like it cause going RoA then Tear delays your damage and if you just go tear you dont get the very vital RoA.

Huudi

08-25-2013

Swain could use better waveclear, and his damage feels lackluster unless he's ahead. He is a lanebully though, and he can be godly when very strong. A good swain play feels like you're the center of a whirling storm of death, healing, damaging, with zhonya for bait.

Fubby3

08-25-2013

bump before school

KYU22

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubby3 View Post
bump before school
How to deal with long range poke or extremes burst? I've only lost lane with Swain against Ziggs, Annie, and Orianna. Ziggs and Ori just spam their pokes like no tomorrow, and Annie just bursts me to hell.

BerserkerMagnum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demagoguery View Post

Edit 2:

What if instead of just regenerating mana off of his passive, he gains it for killing a unit? As in his passive is like that of Nasus's Q, Veiger's Q, or Sion's E? That way it still has a similar function to its original form, by acting as a sort of mana regen method, but it lets him build up some more mana without having to invest so much gold into it.

You'd have to reduce the amount he gains, but it would really make his life better, and allow him to have a higher mana pool over time.
This.

I think a good passive would be something like +2 mana per unit kill, +10 mana per champion kill

Fat of the Land

08-25-2013

Swain is my go-to champion when I want to win mid, which is my most played role. Maybe it's just my experience with the champion, but I usually only build an RoA on him as far as mana related items and I rarely run into mana issues even without Blue.

I think much of the time Swain players have mana problems because they don't manage their ult well, which is in part due to how long the cool down is for an ultimate that is supposed to be short bursts of sustain. 8 seconds between casts is half an eternity during team fights when you need that DPS ASAP.

Dropping the cool down would go a long way to helping Swain players be more active with his ultimate rather than leaving it on for the length of a team fight and then wondering where their mana went.