Mac Client Competitive Play feasibility

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wreckless

08-23-2013

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Pro 15' w/ retina (2.4GHz model) and I was wondering how feasible the Mac client would be for ranked/competitive play. The reason I ask this is because a while back I had downloaded the Mac client on my little 11' Macbook Air and I have to admit, shakiness and overall uneasiness made the client pretty much unplayable in any sort of competitive/serious environment. I understand that the client is still in Beta and that the Macbook Pro isn't exactly a "gaming" system. I would just want to know if its alright to run as the standalone client or if it would be necessary to take the Bootcamp/Win7 install option, which I'd rather not have to go through.

Thanks!

thenicksolo

08-23-2013

I wouldn't say playing on a mac is bad by any stretch of the word, but If you're going to take ranked seriously I'd still recommend playing on a bootcamp partition. It better handles the GPU compared to OS X. Once the game sees full release on Mac then it would be safer to go the mac client.

But that would only be for diamond and above players id recommend for that. Try it out first on the OSX side, if it doesn't fit your needs. Bootcamp away!

Raiguy

08-23-2013

I play ranked on my Macbook pro 13" just fine. What I would recommend would be to buy a good gaming mouse that is probably going to be USB connective. The touchpads on laptops are not good for gaming by any means, and everything else about the laptop has been great with League. My only qualm is the bugginess of trying to install/patch LoL on a Mac, but I've heard it is somewhat the same way on a PC. I wouldn't say one handles it better than the other, as it all depends on your hardware. To answer your question, yes you can play ranked/competitive games on a Mac, although the convenience might not exactly be there like it is with a PC.

Personally, I think it is preferential choice, and what you want to do. However, you could buy a very nice PC that probably beats a Mac for the price you will spend on the Mac. Just a head's up.

Wreckless

08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiguy View Post
I play ranked on my Macbook pro 13" just fine. What I would recommend would be to buy a good gaming mouse that is probably going to be USB connective. The touchpads on laptops are not good for gaming by any means, and everything else about the laptop has been great with League. My only qualm is the bugginess of trying to install/patch LoL on a Mac, but I've heard it is somewhat the same way on a PC. I wouldn't say one handles it better than the other, as it all depends on your hardware. To answer your question, yes you can play ranked/competitive games on a Mac, although the convenience might not exactly be there like it is with a PC.

Personally, I think it is preferential choice, and what you want to do. However, you could buy a very nice PC that probably beats a Mac for the price you will spend on the Mac. Just a head's up.
Thanks a lot for the post. I'm buying a Macbook Pro because I am a student (primarily!) and I'm going to be purchasing it regardless of how it performs as a gaming laptop. Good to hear it will be able to run League well. Cheers.