Security Update Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roger Barbossa

08-22-2013

I just dun like idea of being forced to reset my password

Comonad

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruco View Post
Passwords must be between 8 and 30 characters long, contain at least 1 number, contain no slashes or spaces, and must not be easily guessable. Now, "not easily guessable" is what seems to be tripping up a lot of people so I'll try to provide a bit more detail into what this means.

Account thieves are very good at guessing passwords because most people tend to use the same password for multiple websites and use a predictable word and letter combinations (i.e. password1 or sunshine5). This means your account information can be stolen on one website, but then potentially used on another. For this reason, the password strength meter detects if a password is 'instantly crackable' by checking if you are using a word from a list which hackers have used in the past to steal other accounts. If a word in your password appears in this list, then it drastically reduces the strength. Strong passwords are unique to the person using them, but hard for someone else (or a machine) to guess.

Example of a weak password:
sunshine1989

Example of a strong password:
correcthorsebatterystaple5
+1 for xkcd reference

But can you please tell us what kind of hashing mechanism was used so we know if its brute forcable for strong passwords? PLEASE don't tell me its 1-round md5

Ramageddon

08-22-2013

I logged in on the site today once to change my password but it kicked me out and now it just says I have the wrong username and password and it won't send the forgot password link to my e-mail. Tried to protect my acct and now I can't even use it (skunkodor).

Katdragonn

08-22-2013

hi guys of the forum, can anyone tell me how to fix this bug im having where my league gets to a certain point then stops updating. its doing this on both na and euw servers for me

RecklessHansi

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessHansi View Post
Are the transfers from NA servers closed because of this?
Will they be reopened later?
^

TooMuchTooHandle

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggybuns View Post
Hi, I'd love to know when my account is going to get moved back to NA from LAS after the "hacker" transferred me there for getting mouthy with him on the forums.

Every person who posted on the forums is as much at risk as I was, so I assume you're taking this matter very seriously. What are you doing to prevent this access in the future?

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME EVEN TO THE SAME PLACE. i bad mouthed him on the forums as my smurf. im really pissed. fck gem.

ExiledSøulz

08-22-2013

What about transfer plz ??? i want it but you have remove from other selection without any information !!!!?

Guyde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruco View Post
Passwords must be between 8 and 30 characters long, contain at least 1 number, contain no slashes or spaces, and must not be easily guessable.
Why is there a restriction on password length, and why are spaces not allowed?

Malsano

08-22-2013

After the rework Riot made to this item. U can't build it, even if u have all of the items. :/
Plz fix it :P

Guyde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathepic View Post
+1 for xkcd reference

But can you please tell us what kind of hashing mechanism was used so we know if its brute forcable for strong passwords? PLEASE don't tell me its 1-round md5
The email alerts linked "salted password hashes" to Wikipedia's article on bcrypt. (The announcement posted in the news section uses a different link.)