so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MostlySilent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey MostlySilent,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's very valuable to those who are in similar situations.

Props for being persistent. However, persistence in and of itself only shows that you want something really really badly. Putting it bluntly, spamming applications doesn't send the message that you're a good fit or that you've shown growth. Your goal might be to work at Riot Games, but your focus should be on your own growth.

Nice job securing the spot on a playtest team. That's valuable experience.

Do I think that you should reapply? Only if you believe that you've grown so much that you can amaze the team. Remember that meeting the bar isn't really the goal here. It's to completely vault past it. You want to exceed expectations, and this goes for any company you interview for.

If you want more depth and insight, I suggest you take a look at this blog post if you haven't already. It's full of great information and may even prompt you to see things from another perspective.
That's exactly why I haven't stopped. I do feel I'm damn good enough. I got the playtest gig and am getting valuable experience and working with cool dudes, I'm still doing side work. I feel I'm set to go now as I feel very capable, I just completely bombed the first interview admittedly.

There's time to wait, work to be done, and goals to hit before I'm set to, "amaze" but I'd say I'm getting there in real good time.

Daen

08-22-2013

How important is resume creativity, both in general and to Riot specifically?

In addition do you tend to prefer applications that are exclusively very formal or have either humor/some informality?

The reason I ask is that when I'm writing to an unspecified source (i.e. not answering a question or not knowing the personality of the individual/company I'm effectively writing to)I tend to err on the side of extreme formality and I was curious as to whether that was a positive trait or a negative trait in a resume.

^ Long sentence OP, need NMST.

Captain Alejo

08-22-2013

For starters, thanks for linking Aaron Li's blog post. It is very insightful and offers many useful gems for people like myself who'd like to get their foot in the door.

This thread has gotten some pretty useful replies by Reds thus far, so I figure I'll drop a question here in the hopes it catches a response.

Obligatory background:

My first exposure to Riot's company culture was a few years ago at PAX East. At the time I was a recent graduate and nearly a year into my first software development position. I attended a Riot panel regarding the growth of the company, the IP, and what direction both would be moving towards in the future. I stuck around and managed to chat with Richard Hough for a few hours regarding his role in development. It was a great experience being able to "talk shop" with someone who had a major hand in creating a game that has become a core part of my daily life.

That event set me on a path to learn as much as possible about Riot. I've attended GDC for the past few years and heavily prioritized attending any Riot panels. I found that Rioters mean business and the handful I have met as been some of the most talented and passionate people I have come across in the game's industry. I also found that they were out of my league at the time.

As a result I really buckled down and focused on growing both personally and professionally. I've worked towards bolstering my skill set as a programmer, designer, and producer. I took on my responsibility at my company and made efforts to expand my knowledge both vertically and horizontally.

The actual question:

It has been four years since I set out to improve myself with the hopes of one day being at the caliber of the Riot employees who inspired me. I still have a long way to go and have no intention of slowing my growth, but how can I gauge if I'm ready to apply?

I have come to fill many roles within my company. While my background is in programming (BS in Game Development), I have contributed across many disciplines (programming, art, design, marketing, production, etc) and fear that my skill set may be too broad.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
92 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistful of Force View Post
Riot Chezai! Since you're here, can you give me some advice?

I applied for a Riot internship but was rejected from each position I applied to. I reviewed my resume and application and came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough relevant experience.

Since then I picked two or three of the most appropiate jobs and have been preparing myself for applying for '14. Only, I know that it's extremely competetive, and I don't know if what I'm doing will actually help my application!

Unfortunately I've no idea if what I'm doing (Writing models in Java/c++, brushing up on hadoop/storm) is actually relevant to my picks (Big Data, BI, QA). Can you tell me if I'm on the right track?
Hey Fistful of Force,

Apologies for the ridonkulously late response to your query.

JAVA/C++, hadoop/storm, now throw in some map reduce, hive and you got some BD stuff going on. But your best bet is to look at the openings on www.riotgames.com/careers under QA, Big Data, and Business Intelligence. It'll give you an idea of what we're looking for at the more senior levels and what the groundwork looks like for interns.

Remember too that there are great resources floating around the interwebs which will give you an idea of what the industry standard is. You definitely want to exceed these standards as competition will be fierce!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
93 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The best Seth NA View Post
A red that is keeping up with a Thread? It's my time to act now... DEAR RED, I NEED RECOGNITION. Notice me!

I neeeeeeed this...

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.
Hey The best Seth NA [my friend Seth would beg to differ...],

You are awesome. Thatisall

OpTic CubeShroom

09-09-2013

can you sign up to riot to delete teemo?

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2013

Hey Chezai, are you guys looking for an in-house chef? I've heard through various spies I've implanted in your office that you guys are sustained by snack machines and microwaves and as a professional chef, I cannot simply abide that. Please add me on the client so I can give you the details on my plan to open a kitchen on the first floor of your new office building(that will be built around my kitchen). <3 xoxo

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
94 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LashBack View Post
I am with-in driving distance of the St. Louis office so I was really pushing for a opportunity there. I would honestly work at any position I am qualified for at any amount of pay just to get my foot in the door. A career in a field that interests me would be ideal for me. I was asked to do some kind of evaluation the last time I applied and it said I would hear back with my results in a few days. It took well over a month for a response saying they were not interested. I applied around 6 months ago before I finished my degree. I just recently applied again for a different position because It did not allow me to apply for the same position twice. The problem here is that my resume still reflects my experiences for the other position. It will probably not turn out well but I feel a bit better knowing I applied. I will remain hopeful and keep trying.
Hey LashBack,

If you make a post to our Inside Riot Games page [LinkedIn] stating the problem, one of my colleagues can help you fix it. If your application was submitted correctly, the updated resume would be in the system.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
95 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
How important is resume creativity, both in general and to Riot specifically?

In addition do you tend to prefer applications that are exclusively very formal or have either humor/some informality?

The reason I ask is that when I'm writing to an unspecified source (i.e. not answering a question or not knowing the personality of the individual/company I'm effectively writing to)I tend to err on the side of extreme formality and I was curious as to whether that was a positive trait or a negative trait in a resume.

^ Long sentence OP, need NMST.
Hey Mr T,

Proper spelling and grammar is always appreciated. That doesn't mean that you have to be stiff and overly formal. I personally like cover letters as they tend to add a personal touch.

Pro-tip: when you write, make sure you tailor it to your audience. This means making a cistp, cover letter and resume for each position you apply for. In the cover letter, be sure to touch on why you want to work for that particular company.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

09-09-2013
96 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Alejo View Post
For starters, thanks for linking Aaron Li's blog post. It is very insightful and offers many useful gems for people like myself who'd like to get their foot in the door.

This thread has gotten some pretty useful replies by Reds thus far, so I figure I'll drop a question here in the hopes it catches a response.

Obligatory background:

My first exposure to Riot's company culture was a few years ago at PAX East. At the time I was a recent graduate and nearly a year into my first software development position. I attended a Riot panel regarding the growth of the company, the IP, and what direction both would be moving towards in the future. I stuck around and managed to chat with Richard Hough for a few hours regarding his role in development. It was a great experience being able to "talk shop" with someone who had a major hand in creating a game that has become a core part of my daily life.

That event set me on a path to learn as much as possible about Riot. I've attended GDC for the past few years and heavily prioritized attending any Riot panels. I found that Rioters mean business and the handful I have met as been some of the most talented and passionate people I have come across in the game's industry. I also found that they were out of my league at the time.

As a result I really buckled down and focused on growing both personally and professionally. I've worked towards bolstering my skill set as a programmer, designer, and producer. I took on my responsibility at my company and made efforts to expand my knowledge both vertically and horizontally.

The actual question:

It has been four years since I set out to improve myself with the hopes of one day being at the caliber of the Riot employees who inspired me. I still have a long way to go and have no intention of slowing my growth, but how can I gauge if I'm ready to apply?

I have come to fill many roles within my company. While my background is in programming (BS in Game Development), I have contributed across many disciplines (programming, art, design, marketing, production, etc) and fear that my skill set may be too broad.
Hey Captain Alejo,

Questions for you to mull over:

- What do YOU want to do?
- After answering the above question: where would contribute the most at Riot? [Take a look at the current openings on www.riotgames.com/careers]
- You feel that your skill set may be too broad. Broad isn't necessarily bad. How deep can you go in each of these areas?

There are many ways to gauge how 'ready' are, but until you're able to buckle down and figure out the answers to the questions above, you might find it near impossible to come to a solid answer.