6 letters 1 cap'd and 3 numbers is a weak password?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WookieeCookie

Player Support Lead -
Player Behavior

08-21-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyra Top GG View Post
...Really riot, do I have to make a ****ing 16 digit randomized code in order for your **** to say it's okay? Like I'm sorry but it's my account lemme have my own pass ty.
You don't have to create a completely randomized sequence of letters and numbers if you don't want to.

The reason it says your password is "weak" is because you're most likely using a very common word, or sequence of numbers which the system will not accept.

For example:

password123
money69money

etc etc.

Unfortunately the feedback on our website is not perfect and the system is merely telling you that the password is "weak".

Dyto

08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
You don't have to create a completely randomized sequence of letters and numbers if you don't want to.

The reason it says your password is "weak" is because you're most likely using a very common word, or sequence of numbers which the system will not accept.

For example:

password123
money69money

etc etc.

Unfortunately the feedback on our website is not perfect and the system is merely telling you that the password is "weak".
fck... thats a common password? now I gotta change it again god damnit

Io Reign

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2013

Quote:

For example:

password123
money69money

etc etc.

I can accept that my password is weak, but considering it's been 3 and a half years of me playing and it hasn't cracked, let me keep the ****ing password I've had for 95% of the life of your game.

Dyto

08-21-2013

I was part of an online message board along time ago and they added this same password security bullcrap and it had to include atleast 2 capitalized letters , 4 numbers, 2 lower case numbers and 3 symbols .

I quit that day, after using it all day everyday for 4 years prior.

5ackLunch

08-21-2013

most common password in the world = password

P@s$w0r[)

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyto View Post
fck... thats a common password? now I gotta change it again god damnit
Not even kidding, my friend got his account hijacked because that was his password. This happened to him twice, both times he had the same password.

Zastie

08-21-2013

Quote:

For example:

password123
money69money

etc etc.

Personally I don't care if it's weak, my passwords have been working fine for me, why should I change it because your system got hacked into? It wasn't my PW they got, it was your security PW they got.

Fresh Snow

08-21-2013

People with stupid passwords ruin password based security systems for everyone. Please learn what encryption really does before your basic knowledge insults get thrown around.

WookieeCookie

Player Support Lead -
Player Behavior

08-21-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Reign View Post
I can accept that my password is weak, but considering it's been 3 and a half years of me playing and it hasn't cracked, let me keep the ****ing password I've had for 95% of the life of your game.
You should generally update all of your passwords every 3 to 6 months, on any web service you use.

In a perfect world, everything would be 100% secure all the time, but as you've probably noticed in recent years many different services including our own have been compromised at one point or another.

What's most unfortunate is that if one service gets compromised, and you share that log-in information with other services then it increases the chance that those other services will be compromised as well. For example, in the past when other online games' services have been compromised we've seen an uptick of account recovery tickets in League of Legends as well.

While ultimately it's your choice how much you want to protect your accounts and online identity, I would strongly encourage you to not fall in the trap of "it never happened to me, so who cares" line of thinking.

That's what they all say up to the point that they're writing a support ticket with an urgent request to recover their account.

Zenbear

08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zastie View Post
Personally I don't care if it's weak, my passwords have been working fine for me, why should I change it because your system got hacked into? It wasn't my PW they got, it was your security PW they got.
Is it possible that the hacker got a hold of peoples passwords through this?

123456 ... 10