Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Robertoo2

08-17-2013

If you rework Skarner i will be grateful if you add some skins, especially Battlecast Skarner witch would be most awesome skin.

Spank My Yordle

08-17-2013

I vote for not changing Skarner and just reclassifying him as a mage, because lane Skarner is a goddamn beast.

nickeput

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelden View Post
Skarner is the strongest of his race, which is why he was reawakened first. Look at his lore.
I read his lore back when he came out and if I remember correctly he is the only one of his kind to have survived to then be reawakened.

nickeput

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2013

Just pulled Skarner's original fix from the wiki and then what happened immediately after. Very slight adjustments to his skills which immediately caused cries of OP on the forums because no one wanted to buy qss, play gangplank, or learn to kite. Causing the underpowered champ whose own designer from riot acknowledged was underpowered to go to worse than he was originally by bringing back his mana problems on q making his ult way too easy to break and on a longer cd and his shield have a longer cd because anyone who faced an ap Skarner realized the shield isn't that easy to break(who could of guessed a champ with all skills scaling off ap and with good ratios, .7 to damage on his supposedly worthless e, should be built with ap not ad) and when built for can be kept up almost permanently.

He wasn't made OP with the changes he received originally his designer even acknowledged those changes weren't supposed to be the only buffs he received because they were intended to be slight. Bring back those original changes and revert the cd change on his w and Skarner still has the problem with the ult being broken easily but he is now more than playable again.

I don't remember who was the designer of Skarner but maybe talking with him about how Skarner should be changed would make the majority of people who still play Skarner not upset with the changes since his original thread back when Skarner was first being fixed had a lot of positive feedback.

*edit* Skarner was designed by Volty.

V1.0.0.127

Attack speed per level increased to 2.1% from 1.44%
Energize will no longer activate when attacking turrets.
Crystal Slash mana cost decreased to 15 at all ranks from 22/24/26/28/30
Fracture will now heal Skarner if Fracture kills its target.
Impale duration increased to 1.75 from 1.5 seconds

V1.0.0.132

Crystal Slash mana cost adjusted to 20/22/24/26/28 from 15 at all levels
Crystal Slash slow decreased to 20/25/30/35/40% from 25/30/35/40/45%
Impale cooldown increased to 130/120/110 from 110/100/90

V1.0.0.150:

Crystalline Exoskeleton:
Cooldown increased to 18 seconds from 14.
Impale:
It will no longer finish casting if the target escapes the range during the cast time.

Malgana

08-17-2013

People who regularly played or mained these champs who are getting changes always end up hating the changes because it removes a core and fun aspect of the champion which brought people to them in the first place (See: Rengar stealth, Skarner slow) meanwhile the people who hardly ever play him are the ones you seem to be changing it for, and they end up playing him for maybe a week tops then put him right back on the shelf and go back to their mains.
I really don't get where this "no counter play" argument is coming from anyway, he's never picked but if he had no counter play he would be picked more, not less.

I played a lot of Skarner and after seeing these changes I'm really afraid of what's going to happen to him.
Apparently his Q slow doesn't have counter play...so it requiring 2 Q's to even apply the first time giving you TONS of time to dash away even after he's come out of the river to gank, run across the lane to you, then hit you once, is not enough time to get away from him? are you ****ing kidding me?
Most other junglers make the laner run like hell the second they see him, and they have stuff that happens the SECOND they get on you, Skarner does the exact same but his CC requires that you stick to the target for a little bit at least, which is where his shield granting him movement comes into play as counter play, if you break that you break him.

If you remove the slow on him, the what is he? he has no unique thing about him anymore.
He used to be this giant crystal scorpion who would run in and pull a target into his team then keep him there, or run in then lock down a target who needs to be locked down, and now he's just a guy with a pull that gets disrupted easily and then will be useful for abso-****ing-lutely nothing else because everybody in LoL has that mentality, apparently including the Riot staff themselves.

If you're really going to remove the sticking power and keep his ult as it is now, you may as well just delete the champion and rebuild him entirely.
Seriously the only thing he needed was a change to his E, maybe a damage reduction and a little boost to the heal to make it actually worth using to sustain himself, not a huge overhaul on his entire kit, there's never been problems with it before.

nickeput

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgana View Post
People who regularly played or mained these champs who are getting changes always end up hating the changes because it removes a core and fun aspect of the champion which brought people to them in the first place (See: Rengar stealth, Skarner slow) meanwhile the people who hardly ever play him are the ones you seem to be changing it for, and they end up playing him for maybe a week tops then put him right back on the shelf and go back to their mains.
This. If Skarner gets changed as drastically as is mentioned I would probably want a refund for him cause he wouldn't even be what I bought him for in the first place. At 975 RP or 6300 IP that I got him for when he came out I would rather that than a completely different champ than I purchased.

Mundo

08-17-2013

Skarner is season 2 champ that a lot of people have but rarely anyone plays in season 3. 48.9% win rate
Dr Mundo is season 1 champ that most people have but rarely anyone plays in season 3. 47.2% win rate

Take a look at Mundo next please. He has no cc, terrible early jungler [especially if invaded]. Skarner is fine minus his E.

CracatoaX

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Don't have many specifics about when the rework will go out to live. It will most likely not be before world finals so that Skarner doesn't disrupt the competitive scene.
What about the PBE?

TheMangoBear

08-17-2013

I made a NA account and got it up to level 5 just to post here so here goes:

When I first started playing I played for one reason only... To get enough ip for Skarner. A few weeks down the line I finally had enough! I bought him and he has been my main ever since.

I have been watching this thread very closely for the past few weeks and I agree with what a lot of people are saying. I really really appreciate that you are giving Skarner the love and attention he needs. But, however, I do not agree with all the changes you plan on making.

There are many things that have been said that I'd say but I can't be bothered to type it all out and I'm sure you can't be bothered to read it all over again.

Q+W: I always loved his Q for its short cooldown and amazing slow. His W gave a nice speed boost and a mediocre shield, perfect for blocking that turret shot that could have killed you. I feel that Skarner is very unique and that his abilities really define him. I really cannot stress how disappointed many -including myself- will be if you remove the slow from his Q. You say it lacks counterplay but it has plenty already! Skarner has really low range and he has to use his Q twice before he even gets the slow activated! Most adc's have some form of cc that can slow you so they can get away before you can even slow them.

In pre-6 ganks I use my W to catch up and use Q to deal damage and slow but by the time I reach my enemy and manage to slow them they are within their turrets' range. If not that then they just break my shield before I get to them and leap out of range. I leave 90% of pre-6 ganks a very sad scorpion...

In post-6 ganks his lack of a gap closer makes it so that by the time you catch up to the enemy from the little speed boost from your W, grab him and pull him back with your ult, the enemy is back where most other junglers would have reached him ages ago at the start of the gank!

E: Current E sucks for many reasons: he can't move while casting, low range, low heal and uses too much mana.

R: Love it, really like the fact that you made it more reliable.

Reply to new changes: having the slow on his new E means you lose what Skarner is all about, sticking to your enemy like a disease, slowing them and slowly killing them. Sure, the attack speed boost on his Q sounds nice, but the slow is faaar better. Perhaps lower the mana cost on it so you don't struggle so much without blue.
I like the changes to the W, putting the cooldown back down is great and making the shield bigger will help a lot. Also having a bigger movespeed boost will REALLY help him with ganking and getting around the map.
The E... Well, I don't know what my opinion is on that yet but I really don't like it having the slow. Sure, remove the heal in exchange for the bigger shield, I use that more. I don't know what you'll do with the E but I hope it's pretty different from how you have it now, I don't think Skarner needs a ranged ability as long as he has his movespeed-boosing W and permaslow on his Q. I hope you come up with something fun and original.
As regards his R, I like what you have done.

All in all I like the changes except the removal of his Q's slow and his E changes. Just please, please don't change what made him Skarner...

He can't do much from a long range but boy. Oh. Boy... Run, run in fear. Because if he catches you he won't let you go. Oh, you think you can get to the safety of your turret? No, because he'll drag you back no matter who you are and crush you like an insect.

Stradiater

08-17-2013

I really hope that they won't change his E, other than to twirk his numbers higher. If you build/spec him Right, his E can do a lot of damage. If anything, they should increase the range on his E to give it more poke potential. One thing I would like to see is them making Skarner an AP champ, period, and change his Q to benefit more from AP than it does, or to change his Q altogether.

I see a lot of people say his E is useless, but it's because you're not building AP on him. Skarner being built as a tank leaves him as a one trick wonder with his ult, which is boring. But build him with AP and you become a threat. Your Ult will do so much more damage, your W will give you more shield, and your E will become a viable poke ability.

I daresay that building Lichbane 4/5th would make him a monster.