Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chaosos

08-16-2013

Scruffy you know reworks don't hit competitive for 4 weeks after release right? I would love Skarner to be October's rework, since I remember a mention of 1 rework/month.

Lord Mordor

08-16-2013

Hey scruff, quick question for you regarding the current version of E.

What would the cooldown on this skill look like? base and when factoring in CDR and his passive.

I ask because for me, after the awesome ults, being able to stick to my target like glue was my favorite part of skarner. I recognize the need for some degree of couter-play to his ability to perma-slow, but I would still like to have the ability to stay on my target if I am skilled enough to both time and land my slow properly.

One thing that I feel might be pretty cool is a version of the spell that slows for a minor amount on initial hit of the skill shot, but then leaves a mark that can be triggered by skarner landing an auto-attack or Q on the target. Proc'ing the mark could either improve the power of the slow, or increase its duration.

The counter-play would still exist since your target could not only avoid the initial skillshot, but even if they get hit they are safer if they can successfully avoid a follow up attack or Q
But it also keeps the feel of current live Skarner who gets into melee range and then can potentially chain slow

(also, I know particles aren't even being considered right now, but when I picture this skill in my mind I keep seeing the spell "White Dragon Breath" from Dark Souls. Lines of crystals popping up from the ground in a line. Proc'ing the mark could then cause crystals to burst from the target for the duration of the slow)

IS1f715232b540cb2fffcee

08-16-2013

Oh wow, 168 pages about my fav champion getting a rework and i didn't even know about it. Sucks to live in europe I guess. I didn't go throgh the entire thread but here are my 2 cents:

I Like the idea of moving the effects of his kit around. Q and W do pretty much everything you'd ever need skarner to do so e isn't worth putting points into.

Moving the slow from q to e makes Iceborn Gauntlet feel like a much more natural buy on him. I always wanted to buy it on him (armor, cdr, sheen proc) but never did because he allready has a spammable slow.

I am not a big fan of ramping up movement speed on Crystalline Exoskeleton because of the fact that you loose the movespeed as soon as the shield breaks. in Teamfights your shield is up for only a second or two before breaking so you don't even get to max movespeed before it's gone.
I'd also like to see Crystalline Exoskeleton's cooldown decrease as you rank up the skill. Imo this should be done to limit his early dueling power but give him the needed durability and mobility in teamfights.

Finally I hope without a permaslow and heal he doesn't have to be as heavily managated as he is right now. He is essentially 100% melee and unlike udyr doesn't make for that great of a laner. As skarner you want to itemize for durability, cdr, mobility and attackspeed. You shouldn't go oom as easily when building a spirit stone item, sheen and Glacial/frozzen as you do currently.

Runeblade Rick

08-16-2013

Every time I see this, I get a jump for joy in my heart, and tears of joy forming in my eyes knowing that that my favorite main of all time, no other, is being take care of by such a passionate and caring person. Is that normal?

BabySealHunter

08-16-2013

I don't like how Taric murdered Skarner's family to make his armor, shield, and hammer. Just my two cents.

nickeput

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySealHunter View Post
I don't like how Taric murdered Skarner's family to make his armor, shield, and hammer. Just my two cents.
All of Skarner's race was long gone before Taric was ever around. Since he was "found" he has been the last of his kind.

Toaster36

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2013

I've been playing Skarner a few times this week in ranked and I've noticed a few issues that have started to bug me. Disregarding all the major issues people have already noted, this is a short list of, for lack of a better word, "feelings" I get while playing him.

1: When chasing down an enemy it feels like I'm within range to Q slow them but it's out of range. I've got some 400 games played with him, I figure I should have a decent intuition on the range of his most spammed ability.

2: Similar to #1 when Impaling a target it feels like 99% of the time I have to be right on top of them to get it to go off. I W in, flash, and still not close enough. I know the range on R is exactly the same as Q, maybe this is something wrong with the back end maths part?

3: Dear god, ranged slows! Trying to gank bot? Great, got them by surprise and beating on the carry, when suddenly Lulu or Janna peels me off. Regardless of the CC of the rest of the team, one slow and I become worthlessly out of range to do anything but mash E (which as previously noted by my peers, is useless), beat on a tank, or continue to trudge on and take "tons of damage".

4: Early game Skarner feels...a bit slow. I know he's not Hecarim or Rammus, but back in season 2 Skarner felt pretty quick getting from point A to point B on the map. Maybe this one's just me being spoiled by playing Sejuani and Udyr recently.

Scruffy, I know this list isn't numbers and calculations or theory crafting how to fix E, but any response one how Skarner should feel while he's played would be appreciated. Is he supposed to be an unstoppable slowing machine? It'd be nice, but test builds are making me think that's unwanted due to counter play issues. If Lee Sin is supposed to ward hop across the map, and Zac is long engage disruption, what sort of niche is Skarner supposed to fill once he's done?

Thanks.

Avelden

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Don't have many specifics about when the rework will go out to live. It will most likely not be before world finals so that Skarner doesn't disrupt the competitive scene.
Why can't we get update stuff like this for champs like Viktor?

Avelden

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeput View Post
All of Skarner's race was long gone before Taric was ever around. Since he was "found" he has been the last of his kind.
Skarner is the strongest of his race, which is why he was reawakened first. Look at his lore.

tduro112

08-17-2013

Man, Scruffy's doing a great job. Why can't him and Xelnath be in charge of reworks >_>.

See success of:
Xerath, Yorick, and Skarner reworks.

See success of:
Olaf, Rengar reworks.