Do you think Riot should have a serious look at Nephry?

Yes 2,018 85.87%
No 332 14.13%
Voters: 2350. You may not vote on this poll

@Riot: We need a corrupted Demacian Champion (idea within)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

08-17-2013

Also available for viewing in the Community Beta: http://community.na.leagueoflegends....-dark-crusader

1500 Votes, 84% say they want Nephree! HUZZAH!!

Quote:
Sept. 21, 2013: 300 votes, 79% say yes. WOOT!
Oct. 24, 2013: 400 votes, 78% say yes. Riot, if you please?
Nov. 30, 2013: 500 votes, 79% say yes! I think this deserves a Riot review at this point.
Jan. 2, 2014: 600 votes, nearly 80% say yes. Tell me that is not promising, Riot.
Jan. 18, 2014: My 26th birthday, and Nephree's now at 700 votes, with 81% saying yes. And lo-and-behold, we now have a Riot post! WOOT!
Jan. 20, 2014: Whoa, that red post sure helped! 900 votes and 83% say yes! I hope the trend continues after these changes!
Jan. 22, 2014: 1000 votes, 83%. You guys... are AWESOME! Riot, there you have it. Screw the whole legal problems, MAKE NEPHREE!
March 6, 2014: 1500 votes, 84%!
For some time now, I've been looking into making a new design for a Demacian Champion who basically fills in the "black knight" trope, if you will. Someone with good intentions, but ones that have been corrupted/are being steadily corrupted.

Something that invokes this kind of vibe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbSzVabyG4
Ahh, nostalgia...

Note that all the stuff below is still developing/changing.
Quote:
Name: Nephree, the Dark Crusader
Role: Tank (Secondary: Fighter)

The following pictures are for reference only.
Name:  cf2a25a59852150a33461160310cd5de.jpg
Views: 26194
Size:  395.0 KB
(http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1230541)
Name:  7d83631e19e1f915d8f18735a684d622.jpg
Views: 8822
Size:  267.0 KB
(http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1485015)

Statistics (numbers are subject to change; opinions are appreciated, but please be civil)
HP: 420 (+85)
HPR/5: 6.5 (+0.5)
MP: 240 (+33)
MPR/5: 5.5 (+0.5)
Damage: 55 (+3)
Range: 125 (melee)
Armor: 23 (+3.5)
Magic Resistance: 30 (+1.25)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+2.02%)
Movement Speed: 340

Abilities (Last Update: Mar. 20, 2014)

Note that any numbers below are subject to changes, and are not finalized. Effects may also change according to feedback.

P - Curse of Retribution
Every time an enemy lands a basic attack on Nephree, it receives a stack of Retribution for 6 seconds (max. 4 stacks). If Nephree damages an enemy with 4 stacks via a basic attack or Guilty Blade, the stacks are consumed and Nephree deals 35+(5*level)(+0.5 bonus AR)(+0.5 bonus MR) physical damage to it.

Q - Guilty Blade
Nephree's next basic attack releases dark power from her blade, dealing 25/50/75/100/125 (+0.2 AR)(+0.2 MR) physical damage and applying a stack of Retribution to enemies near her target (~225 radius). Resets attack timer. Guilty Blade's splash effect can trigger Curse of Retribution.
9/8/7/6/5 second cooldown. Costs 30/35/40/45/50 mana.

W - Aphotic Soul
Nephree releases a burst of darkness around her, dealing 60/95/130/165/200 (+0.15 AR)(+0.15 MR) physical damage to all nearby enemies (300 range). Enemy Champions damaged by Aphotic Soul are Crippled, reducing all physical and magical damage dealt by 20/22.5/25/27.5/30% for 2 seconds. If an enemy is damaged by Aphotic Soul, Nephree receives a shield for 4 seconds that absorbs up to 90/135/180/225/270 (+10% of bonus health) damage.
20/18/16/14/12 second cooldown. Costs 60/70/80/90/100 mana. Can be cast while moving.

E - Malefic Strike
Nephree releases a blast of darkness in target direction (skillshot, max. 700 range). If it connects with an enemy, Nephree dashes to the target, dealing 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.4 AP) physical damage and taunting it for 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5 seconds upon arrival (dash can be disrupted by knock-backs and knock-ups).
18/16/14/12/10 second cooldown. Costs 70 mana.

R - Heart of Darkness
For the next 12 seconds, Nephree is surrounded by dark fire (200 range) that deals 40/70/100 (+0.1 AP) magic damage each second and applies a stack of Retribution to nearby enemies. During this time, whenever Nephree triggers Curse of Retribution, she taunts her target into attacking her for 1/1.25/1.5 seconds. This taunt cannot reoccur on the same target within 5 seconds.
140/120/100 second cooldown. Costs 125 mana.

Tips
Playing as Nephree
- Chaining Heart of Darkness with Malefic Strike can lock down an individual target for a long time.

- Nephree is a very capable jungler with Guilty Blade and Aphotic Soul.

- Building armor and magic resistance increases your damage output. Invest in items such as Frozen Heart and Sunfire Cape to make yourself a more dangerous threat.

Playing against Nephree
- Hide behind minions to avoid being hit by Malefic Strike.

- Nephree can do a lot of damage to you if she hits you while you have four stacks of her passive. Avoid letting her counterattack to prevent this.

- Heavy armor and high health will make Nephree's damage negligible. Randuin's Omen and Warmog's Armor, in particular, are very strong against her.
Background (thanks go to Melancholy Exile for assistance with the lore)

"One must be wary of their own sins, lest they become as vile as the ones they fight." - Nephree

Few Demacian heroes have as tragic a history as Nephree. Cursed to bear an ancient black sword, and feared by the people who once called her a hero, the knight holds an uneasy vigil over the people of Demacia, fighting as best she can for justice with the dark power she is condemned to wield, whilst simultaneously fighting the very power that threatens to corrupt her.

Nephree's endeavors began when she was sent to reinforce an ancient temple in Demacia under siege by Noxian forces. The Noxians sought an ancient Darkin blade sealed away within the temple named Ebonmere, a cursed weapon forged of hatred and rage. Her forces were hopelessly outmatched against the Noxians and, in desperation, Nephree took hold of the very weapon she was charged to protect, hoping to use its dark power to save her comrades. Upon breaking the seal, Nephree cried out as the sword's curse took hold of her, turning her white armor ebony and her blue eyes a deep crimson. Seconds later, she found herself in the middle of a horde of dead Noxians, covered in their blood. She had singlehandedly won the battle, but could not remember a moment of it.

Despite warnings from her comrades of the sword's curse, she could not compel herself to abandon the blade, and opted to keep the Ebonmere and use it to further Demacia's cause. In battle after battle, Nephree led her forces to numerous victories against Noxians and bandits, each battle ending with her regaining consciousness amid a pile of fallen foes. Yet with each victory, her men grew more and more fearful of her, her bloodlust unnerving even the most experienced soldiers. What was more unnerving was that none of her foes ever surrendered to her, no matter how hopelessly outmatched, as though they too shared her bloodlust. Though she claimed to be hunting down the enemies of justice, many feared that she was becoming as vile as the ones she hunted, sparing no foe regardless of the weight of their crimes.

On one day, Nephree was met by Prince Jarvan IV, who wished to congratulate her on her successes. As the prince approached her, Nephree lashed out at the prince, the Ebonmere drawn as she claimed he was to be judged and punished for his crimes. The prince, accompanied by Garen Crownguard, squared off against Nephree in battle, hoping to subdue her without bloodshed. Onlookers watched in horror as Nephree's darkness seemed to ebb into the prince and his comrade, driving them to seek her blood. Eventually, the fight dragged to a standstill. But just as Nephree was about to renew her assault, she suddenly stopped her rampage, regaining her senses and seemingly freeing her opponents of their own bloodlust. Believing that the Ebonmere's curse had corrupted her and that it threatened all of Demacia, Jarvan sought to destroy the blade. Yet Nephree protested, claiming she could control the weapon, and herself, if the prince would give her the chance. Trusting her, Jarvan accepted, but demanded that Nephree seek the aid of the Summoners, and warned that she would not be spared if the curse took a full hold of her. Nephree departed for the Institute of War that day, seeking to conquer her demons before they conquered her.

Trivia
- Nephree "taunts" her opponents by directing her own darkness into her foe (via the Ebonmere). This darkness briefly overtakes her foe, sending them into a frenzy.

- Nephree's ultimate goal is not necessarily to free herself of the Ebonmere's curse, but to gain mastery over the dark blade and its power.

- Nephree is not exiled from Demacia, but is kept under close watch whenever she is in the capitol.

- Nephree and Jarvan IV used to be in a relationship with one another, but the two deny any sort of romantic connection. However, Nephree seems to be quite jealous of Shyvana, who is rather close to Jarvan.

- Nephree and Quinn are old friends, despite that Nephree is a noblewoman.

- Nephree has a bit of a competitive rivalry with Garen, as both are knight commanders in Demacia. She is rather amused by his relationship with Katarina.

- Aatrox seems to know a great deal about the Ebonmere, but refuses to tell Nephree about its secrets. Nephree is determined to make him reveal the truth of the blade.

Quotes
Ideal Voice Actress: Willa Holland (Aqua from Kingdom Hearts series)
Selection
Justice, no matter the cost.
Movement
I will conquer the darkness within me.
For Demacia.
Ebonmere hungers...
The blade speaks to me.
I will reclaim my honor.
I cannot submit to this curse.
The darkness grows ever stronger in me.
Justice through darkness.
Attacking
Justice can be such a dark thing.
Ebonmere shall feed!
I'll lead the assault.
They should be running...!
Demacia, now and forever!
It must be done.
To victory!
The cravens will fall!
Using Malefic Strike
Face me!
Craven cur!
Activating Heart of Darkness
I say when it ends!
Face your sentence!
Taunt
Do your worst. It won't be enough!
Face me, craven! The darkness awaits!
Taunting Jarvan IV
Don't show me any mercy, my liege. For I'll show you none!
Taunting Shyvana
Come on, Shyvana! Show me your so-called dragon's pride!
Taunting Quinn
Nothing personal, Quinn. But I plan to live through this.
Taunting Lux
Your day's about to get a LOT darker, Lux.
Taunting Garen
Let's see which of us is the better knight, Garen.
Taunting Fiora
Time to learn a few lessons in humiliation, Fiora.
Taunting Vayne
You think you do not fear the darkness, Vayne? You soon will!
Taunting Varus
I have mastered my darkness. Have you?
Taunting Aatrox
Your kind made this blade. Now you will pay the price!
The Ebonmere demands blood. A Darkin's blood will surely suffice!
Targeted by Nocturne's Paranoia
Big mistake, nightmare!
Woe be upon you, Nocturne!
Joke (both are references to Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Ugh... it's only a flesh wound... *clutches her side*
Urgh... I'm being repressed again... *clutches her side*
Death
I can't... fall here...

Login Music (This is just a basis; I didn't make this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENPdhg59l-o
Any questions/comments? Please keep them civil.

EDIT: Added in some numbers and made some changes/nerfs to the abilities. I've held back on most damage numbers as I'm still tweaking them around a bit, but the damage on the passive is up.

EDIT2: Added more numbers, tweaked a few, and changed how Nephry's E works. The E doesn't deal damage on its own anymore, but now the cripple effect relies on you attacking a target while the shield is up. Much better interactivity. Also added in Nephry's base stats (these are highly subject to change).

EDIT3: Shifted around the skill positions of Nephry's kit so it's more similar to other Champions. The skills themselves are the same, just different hotkeys.

EDIT4: Remade Malefic Strike into a skillshot/dash to address some counterplay issues people were having. Now Nephry has to land a skillshot on an enemy before she can dash in. This will allow me to tweak its power more since it now can miss or hit the wrong target.

EDIT5: Made a large number of changes to Nephry. Many thanks go to Blaine Tog for his advice and help. The new skill setup allows for more counterplay, thus letting me give Nephry a lot more power. The numbers will probably need tweaking, though.

EDIT6: Name changed to Nephree due to reviewers disliking the old name. Sounds the same, different spelling. A compromise. But my hands are kinda adapted to typing her as Nephry, so forgive if I make mistakes somewhere.

EDIT7: Nephree's passive has gotten a nice change to it thanks to Gl1tch. Now it requires Nephree to land a basic attack on you to trigger the damage portion of her passive, which means her opponents can avoid taking said damage by simply avoiding Nephree's attacks (i.e. kite her).

Gløry

08-17-2013

Didn't read the lore, just commenting on the kit:

Much better put-together than most champion suggestions I see. Very unified design.

Couple of points. All 5 skills doing physical damage, very unusual for a tank character. Couples with passive armor pen...the values would have to be very finely tuned, let's just say.

And she sounds like an absolute nightmare 1v1. Or just in general.

Counterattacks, auto-attack resetters, two tauts (start ult, then taunt with Q, then slow, guaranteeing the ult taunt to hit), a slow, an armor/mr boost, a shield, a gap closer, a dmg reduction debuff...holy ****, dude. That's like, twice as much utility as Jarvan. Jarvan.

Furi Kuri

08-17-2013

What the **** wap **** is this? Is that Fate Stay Night?

Krivinn

08-17-2013

This idea is new and original

iSkrullzy

08-17-2013

The slows on the W seem pretty OP along with how long it last.
Also in teamfights her ult seems pretty OP.
With so much effects on these skills, they should have a long cooldown but other than that it seems pretty nice.

Yousonerfed

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSkrullzy View Post
The slows on the W seem pretty OP along with how long it last.
Also in teamfights her ult seems pretty OP.
With so much effects on these skills, they should have a long cooldown but other than that it seems pretty nice.
Might remove the slow if it's too much CC and just keep the AR/MR bonus after you land the strike. But then it doesn't feel that good when you use it offensively.

And yes, her ult would have a bad cooldown, even if you get a Frozen Heart.

Another thing to note, though, is that Nephry deals chiefly physical damage, not magic, so high armor really hurts her (especially since high armor is easier to get than high MR).

Yousonerfed

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furi Kuri View Post
What the **** wap **** is this? Is that Fate Stay Night?
Yep. Dark Saber is a scary lady, and makes for good inspiration.

And I'll appreciate it if you keep your "weeaboo" comments to another topic.

Yousonerfed

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Didn't read the lore, just commenting on the kit:

Much better put-together than most champion suggestions I see. Very unified design.

Couple of points. All 5 skills doing physical damage, very unusual for a tank character. Couples with passive armor pen...the values would have to be very finely tuned, let's just say.

And she sounds like an absolute nightmare 1v1. Or just in general.

Counterattacks, auto-attack resetters, two tauts (start ult, then taunt with Q, then slow, guaranteeing the ult taunt to hit), a slow, an armor/mr boost, a shield, a gap closer, a dmg reduction debuff...holy ****, dude. That's like, twice as much utility as Jarvan. Jarvan.
Yeah, tweaking that armor penetration to be just right is a tricky thing. It's needed to prevent Nephry from being completely useless in late-game, when players will have their Randuin's, but can't be too high or we get another Darius.

As for the amount of utility she has, yeah, but a lot of it is mundane utility compared to J4, who can create a freaking THUNDERDOME! That and J4's knock-up CC is not reducible by Tenacity; Nephry's is.

DrOinkleBerry

08-17-2013

So, a Shadow Paladin?

I like it.

I'd ship it.

+1

Thought I'd honestly like to see more monstrous champions.

Gløry

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousogreat View Post

Another thing to note, though, is that Nephry deals chiefly physical damage, not magic, so high armor really hurts her (especially since high armor is easier to get than high MR).
Does it, though, since she gets 20% free arp and black cleaver looks like it might be good on her as a single damage item, with her constant aoe dmging passive, Looks like I might have misread her ultimate as being physical instead of magical--or was that an edit?

Anyway, even though I was critical, I'd like to congratulate you. This is the first fan champion I've seen that I've really wanted to play. Reminds me of Cecil from FF4.