so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Archiplex

08-16-2013

I've always had a big interest to try and go for a job at riot after i head to college and finish there (currently still a junior in HS)

but my issue isn't one of being nervous or not having the potential abilities (not to brag or overstate my abilities but i'm confident i can do mostly any type of career i set my eyes to, whether it be a creative writer to some scientist to a lawyer and really just about anything)

my problem is i don't know -which- field to study into (and thus, what to apply for whenever i DO go for a job at riot)

i mean, i love to argue (in a debate sort of way), i'm hugely interested in player behavior, i enjoy making champion designs in my spare time, i like to write lore as well, i like to keep people around me happy and generally i like to do mostly everything,

my strongest two subjects would be math and science, with my most interested being science (i have some huge attraction to chemistry), my worst (or at least, my weakest, since i still do well in the class) would be english, which make sense since i'm also bilingual (i'm actually born puerto rican, although nothing i know would be proper spanish due to no actual formal education on the language, mostly learned as a child) and interested in learning more languages (japanese/korean at the top of my head are the ones i would probably love to learn)

but at this point i'm just rambling about things that would hopefully define what i should be interested into going after

any suggestions, Chezai?

Xanius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2013

Chezai, if you could push for a riot office in Tulsa,OK I would be SOOOO happy .

Cyrus Blackmoon

08-16-2013

Would you guys have any use for people who know Lean or Six Sigma Techniques?

rExekias

Game Design Intern

08-16-2013
84 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cless View Post
Hey Chezai,

A while back when Riot had open forum recruitment, I've expressed my interest in helping Riot make tutorials (specifically for the Dominion map mode but willing to do it for the others). I had an epiphany that unless Riot makes an official tutorial for Dominion, people will still be clueless on how to play the map or the basic map mechanics, also the official Dominion website was horribly outdated at the time. Morello gave a reply to my post and that spurred me one to create my own tutorial for Dominion (written and video): http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3245561 (I'll have to update it again since BFT was changed)

This past month in the GD forums, people have been mentioning that the SR tutorial is outdated/doesn't do it's job, such as there is no mentioning of the importance of last hitting. This sparked my interest to try and reach out to Riot again on making tutorials for their map modes.

However, there is no job listing for tutorial maker. If I want to apply to work at Riot for this, which position matches this the best? I would like to send you my resume, cover letter, and an application to you all.
I know I would love to hear about your ideas. I'm always interested in hearing another perspective on how players can learn how to play our various game modes.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
The formula is: where you came from + where you want to go.
Where did you come from, Cotton-Eye Joe?

>.>

<.<

Sorry..

KILLER11080

08-18-2013

how does one exactly apply for a job at riot? just out of curiosity, cuz I stand no chances, all my letter would say is I WANT IN

Psykoticx

08-19-2013

Greetings Chezai/other Rioters. I was a bit curious, since you seem to be answering quite a few questions in this thread.

I primarily do Computer repair. I can diagnose a PC from 100 paces, strip it down to bare bones, and rebuild it in a timely fashion. I am experienced working with both hardware and software. I could however use some more practice with corporate software and the likes. My question to you is: What sort of skills do you look for for your Desktop analysts? I understand repair skills are necessary, but is Riot looking for someone with many certifications? Or a specific skillset?

I find my greatest strength is fleshing out the issues that are currently plaguing a user, and getting to the root of the problem. I currently work in a very busy computer repair shop and the Desktop analyst position seems like a perfect fit for what I already do but I am a little unclear on what I should be proficient in besides just repairs.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-21-2013
85 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlySilent View Post
Chezai, if you happen to be around.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum.

I've applied to Riot every 6+ to like 12 months for the passed like 2-3 years. (Like four attempts total. A buddy of mine with you guys and I are really gunning for it.) The first one went great, got a phone interview, completely bombed it. I wasn't prepared, I honestly wasn't ready, I bombed it.

Second time I got asked by my friend who submitted it for me, that HR wanted to know what changed, honestly a lot hadn't other than time had passed, I had no significant "change"

I'd kind of checked out of attempting, because it honestly seemed kinda pointless, they were fair, I blew my first shot and since then not a lot had happened.

However, I recently (About a month ago) acquired a spot on a studio's internal playtest team. The position doesn't pay, but it's 100% valid experience in QA/Playtesting/Minor Design, I work directly with devs on internal builds to make sure they're bug free and balanced. It's a sweet gig.

Anyway, I figured I'd keep this up for a few months and then attempt again, since now something -has- and I have totally valid experience with a real studio on a successful game. It's been about two and a half months since my last attempt.

Anyway, after all that, any advice? I think I'm on a good path here, I'm more curious how much weight this position holds since it isn't a real "job" with a title and salary and the whole nine yards, but I do everything someone with this job would. (But, it isn't one.)

(I think the biggest issue with the interview is questions I can't give a real answer to. I got a lot of, "At what time did you have multiple projects that needed to be finished, but were on a time constraint, how did you prioritize?" things like that ruined me in the phone interview, I just legitimately did not have the experience to answer those. I feel I did better than well in questions about design and QA and the like I was applying for, but when it came to generic every interview has these questions, I got demolished.)
Hey MostlySilent,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's very valuable to those who are in similar situations.

Props for being persistent. However, persistence in and of itself only shows that you want something really really badly. Putting it bluntly, spamming applications doesn't send the message that you're a good fit or that you've shown growth. Your goal might be to work at Riot Games, but your focus should be on your own growth.

Nice job securing the spot on a playtest team. That's valuable experience.

Do I think that you should reapply? Only if you believe that you've grown so much that you can amaze the team. Remember that meeting the bar isn't really the goal here. It's to completely vault past it. You want to exceed expectations, and this goes for any company you interview for.

If you want more depth and insight, I suggest you take a look at this blog post if you haven't already. It's full of great information and may even prompt you to see things from another perspective.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-21-2013
86 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiplex View Post
I've always had a big interest to try and go for a job at riot after i head to college and finish there (currently still a junior in HS)

but my issue isn't one of being nervous or not having the potential abilities (not to brag or overstate my abilities but i'm confident i can do mostly any type of career i set my eyes to, whether it be a creative writer to some scientist to a lawyer and really just about anything)

my problem is i don't know -which- field to study into (and thus, what to apply for whenever i DO go for a job at riot)

i mean, i love to argue (in a debate sort of way), i'm hugely interested in player behavior, i enjoy making champion designs in my spare time, i like to write lore as well, i like to keep people around me happy and generally i like to do mostly everything,

my strongest two subjects would be math and science, with my most interested being science (i have some huge attraction to chemistry), my worst (or at least, my weakest, since i still do well in the class) would be english, which make sense since i'm also bilingual (i'm actually born puerto rican, although nothing i know would be proper spanish due to no actual formal education on the language, mostly learned as a child) and interested in learning more languages (japanese/korean at the top of my head are the ones i would probably love to learn)

but at this point i'm just rambling about things that would hopefully define what i should be interested into going after

any suggestions, Chezai?
Hey Archiplex,

It's great to see that you're interested in so many different things. This means you have all the more room for growth and new experiences.

To answer your question: I have no idea which field you should study. The reasons being:

- I don't have a 360 degree view of who you are, competencies, skill set, abilities, etc.
- I can't predict what the job market [or Riot] will look like when you do being to actively seek employment
- Any decision you make should be based on more than just you wanting to work at Riot
- The people who would be able to give you the best advice would be your teachers, career counselors, advisers, family, and friends.

Although I can't give you solid advice [sorry about that], I do offer a few suggestions. Figure out the areas you're strongest in, weakest in, and are most passionate about. Do research on potential career paths! There are a lot of resources out there for you to take advantage of. For example, if you're interested in Player Behaviour, research what that particular area involves. Through research, you'll get more insight into the different skills and expertise involved in Player Behaviour [survey creation, data analysis, data gathering techniques, etc].

Vicvictorw

08-21-2013

I live on the east coast.

No awesome career for me.