so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Evilynn NA

Junior Member

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Dark Angelas,

Slightly [if not very] belated congratulations on the position!

One of the things we try to do is make sure every candidate leaves their interview having learned something. This can be anything from a solution to a problem that was asked in the interview to a better idea of how Riot functions to where there may be a disconnect between the candidate and position. From the sounds of it, you came out of the interview with and understanding of where your gaps lie. Major props!

However, that's step 1. If you're intent on becoming a red-blooded Rioter, you'll realize that there are more steps. Continual improvement is something we strive for in our game. This value definitely translates to our Rioters.

GL HF!

What "kind" words Chezai. This sounded like you were trying to tell the poor guy/girl "lolz, better luck next time". Why not give some constructive or positive feedback seeing as they still think highly of Riot despite being rejected???


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
80 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Evilynn NA View Post
What "kind" words Chezai. This sounded like you were trying to tell the poor guy/girl "lolz, better luck next time". Why not give some constructive or positive feedback seeing as they still think highly of Riot despite being rejected???
Hey Best Evilynn NA,

I assure you that my intention was not to give off the impression of "lolz, better luck next time". I sincerely hope that Dark Angelas is successful in his/her next attempt.

To give some more context as to why I don't provide more constructive feedback: Dark Angelas most likely received feedback from the interviewers. This feedback is guaranteed to be 100x more useful than what I can provide in a forum post. Considering I have little to no context on how the interview went [other than the snippet shared by Dark Angelas], I also don't want to jump the gun and offer incorrect feedback.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joymonster

Member

08-14-2013

Hey Chezai,

First, thank you for all your time in responding everyone. I am always impressed by the feedback on threads from the Riot team.

I have a sinking feeling that in my first application I shot myself in the foot, and approached the position far too casually. Then I wound up getting lucky and stumbling across someone tied into Riot when his wife visited our office. I sent in my info to him also (more professional, less drool), only to never hear back both times.

I would fully understand if it was that first application that really ruined my chance. I would freely share my experience with the thread followers so others would not make my same mistakes. Lets call this a how-to guide to not spoil an amazing chance.

Edit: Besides the business side, I entered the season 3 digi-art contest and pretty sure the whole AMEX RP program I wrote up in a survey you all sent out a while ago. Whether or not that was the plan from the get go, it's eerily similar I has the smarts

Otherwise, carry on, you all are doing fantastic.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
81 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymonster View Post
Hey Chezai,

First, thank you for all your time in responding everyone. I am always impressed by the feedback on threads from the Riot team.

I have a sinking feeling that in my first application I shot myself in the foot, and approached the position far too casually. Then I wound up getting lucky and stumbling across someone tied into Riot when his wife visited our office. I sent in my info to him also (more professional, less drool), only to never hear back both times.

I would fully understand if it was that first application that really ruined my chance. I would freely share my experience with the thread followers so others would not make my same mistakes. Lets call this a how-to guide to not spoil an amazing chance.

Edit: Besides the business side, I entered the season 3 digi-art contest and pretty sure the whole AMEX RP program I wrote up in a survey you all sent out a while ago. Whether or not that was the plan from the get go, it's eerily similar I has the smarts

Otherwise, carry on, you all are doing fantastic.
Hey Joymonster,

It's been a blast helping LoLers out

Just wanted to let you know that hiring managers screen applications on an individual per role basis. This means that your applications submitted for multiple roles will potentially be reviewed by different hiring managers. If this is the case, the odds of your application being turned down based on a 'poor first impression' shouldn't be a huge concern. I believe we have some more in-depth answers and examples on our LinkedIn page.

Do keep in mind that Riot loves quirky and unique. No two Rioters are alike! Being 'drool-y' isn't necessarily a gigantic problem, but do make sure that we get all the pertinent information in your application.

I don't have much insight into the AMEX RP program, but that's pretty awesome that you somehow mind-melded with the folks who got it in place!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mid Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-15-2013

I do want to apply for Riot again after a few years, but as I mentioned, I was soooooo horrible during the on-site interview. I am still worried that I got 'blacklisted' even it has been more than one year since my interview.

As a Rioter, not to prevent other people from applying, I know you will not say Rioters blacklist people, but could you tell me that there is no such thing as 'blacklist' at Riot?

Also similar but a little different question, will previous application process or phone/on-site interview for a position at Riot affect my future application process in any way if I reapply? Most cases HR people probably will not even have time to look through database to see if an applicant applied long ago or not, but if I do mention in one of the questionnaire or something...

(e.g. will HR compare my new resume to old resume and not consider if my new resume doesnt have any additional fabulous change?, have a better chance of getting through the pre-screening process or doing a phone interview if I went as far as to on-site interview before?, etc.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-15-2013
82 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angelas View Post
I do want to apply for Riot again after a few years, but as I mentioned, I was soooooo horrible during the on-site interview. I am still worried that I got 'blacklisted' even it has been more than one year since my interview.

As a Rioter, not to prevent other people from applying, I know you will not say Rioters blacklist people, but could you tell me that there is no such thing as 'blacklist' at Riot?

Also similar but a little different question, will previous application process or phone/on-site interview for a position at Riot affect my future application process in any way if I reapply? Most cases HR people probably will not even have time to look through database to see if an applicant applied long ago or not, but if I do mention in one of the questionnaire or something...

(e.g. will HR compare my new resume to old resume and not consider if my new resume doesnt have any additional fabulous change?, have a better chance of getting through the pre-screening process or doing a phone interview if I went as far as to on-site interview before?, etc.)
Hey Dark Angelas,

There is no blacklist that I know of. I believe blacklists are also illegal...but don't quote me on that. Most if not all companies keep interview histories on file and they will use them as data points for candidates who reapply.

Very important point regardless of where you're applying: if you apply at a company and are unsuccessful, your 2nd attempt better knock them off their feet and make them regret not hiring you. This means you have to improve. There's no way of getting around it. Another point to take into consideration is that feedback you receive from interviewers should be taken very seriously. Filling your gaps and fixing problem areas is the most noticeable way of showing improvement.

More specific feedback for your situation: you believe that language barrier/communication was your downfall. What have you done to improve your communication skills? If the answer is "nothing", we got a lot of work to do. However, if the answer is "I'm taking communication courses at a community college/attended Toastmasters workshops", then you know you're on the right track.

Candidates who reapply do not necessarily get preferential treatment. They're screened normally and the process they go through is the same as a first time applicant. What you DO have going for you is that you understand the process. You've been through it and know what it takes to get halfway there.

Hope this helps!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joymonster

Member

08-15-2013

Thanks for the reply! The linkedin group sounds interesting, I'll definitely check that out.

Unfortunately, the second application I put forth was for the same position, so yea...

Lesson learned. If the position is still open on it's own 1 year anniversary, I'll re-apply. I should have the public knowledge base up and running with numbers to back up the system and process flow improvements by about that time. Saving my employer a couple million will hopefully land me in the interview seat this time


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-15-2013

Bah. I want to apply for Riot but I have no job experience in what I'd be interested in. Sadface.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MostlySilent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-15-2013

Chezai, if you happen to be around.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum.

I've applied to Riot every 6+ to like 12 months for the passed like 2-3 years. (Like four attempts total. A buddy of mine with you guys and I are really gunning for it.) The first one went great, got a phone interview, completely bombed it. I wasn't prepared, I honestly wasn't ready, I bombed it.

Second time I got asked by my friend who submitted it for me, that HR wanted to know what changed, honestly a lot hadn't other than time had passed, I had no significant "change"


I'd kind of checked out of attempting, because it honestly seemed kinda pointless, they were fair, I blew my first shot and since then not a lot had happened.

However, I recently (About a month ago) acquired a spot on a studio's internal playtest team. The position doesn't pay, but it's 100% valid experience in QA/Playtesting/Minor Design, I work directly with devs on internal builds to make sure they're bug free and balanced. It's a sweet gig.

Anyway, I figured I'd keep this up for a few months and then attempt again, since now something -has- and I have totally valid experience with a real studio on a successful game. It's been about two and a half months since my last attempt.


Anyway, after all that, any advice? I think I'm on a good path here, I'm more curious how much weight this position holds since it isn't a real "job" with a title and salary and the whole nine yards, but I do everything someone with this job would. (But, it isn't one.)


(I think the biggest issue with the interview is questions I can't give a real answer to. I got a lot of, "At what time did you have multiple projects that needed to be finished, but were on a time constraint, how did you prioritize?" things like that ruined me in the phone interview, I just legitimately did not have the experience to answer those. I feel I did better than well in questions about design and QA and the like I was applying for, but when it came to generic every interview has these questions, I got demolished.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-15-2013
83 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Bah. I want to apply for Riot but I have no job experience in what I'd be interested in. Sadface.
The formula is: where you came from + where you want to go. Many positions require skills which you can gain from seemingly unrelated areas. Examples of transferable skills include communication, problem solving, and relationship management.