@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iappe

08-15-2013

@Lyte - So, when Vulcun purposefully stops attacking the nexus and spams their opponent with taunts and laughs while on your payroll, do you think that sends a message that harassing other players is something you discourage? Cause it looks the exact opposite. It looks like to me that Riot goes so far as to encourage it, with /emotes not being something you can put on ignore.

Glad to see the "pro teams" being professional. You want your game to be taken seriously as a sport, sportsmanship has to be part of it. A taunt like that in any true sport would have garnered a penalty, and in many sports a fine.

Eµigma

Recruiter

08-15-2013

I need to be able to contact a moderator i was just harassed to the point where i want to go to the police, im a gay man and was just trolled all game being called *** boi and explicit detail on the things i "suck". please someone help me.

Sameramorgan

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood1234129 View Post
is calling someone bad harrasment.. because i called someoen bad for playing someone new and feeding with that person in ranked and that person reported me for harrasment
I'd say it depends on what your approach was. I see plenty of people called bad in a taunting or mocking way - it's not cool.

Sameramorgan

08-15-2013

Nice to see you're still attempting to solve symptoms rather than the problem.

What really needs to be done is that you guys need to get off your wallets, shell out some money for mods, and do away with the tribunal system. It's broken and doesn't work. Given the fact that trolls are abundant in this community it seems pretty illogical to allow them to police the community's behavior. I'd go as far as saying that the average league player is an a-hole. *See edit At best that their behavior towards people they don't know is indifferent, rude, and unconscionable. So, the fact that you allow the very same people to determine whether someone's behavior is out of line is pretty irresponsible, I'd say.

I applaud the effort, but the way I see it; this new feature is going to cause more problems than it solves. Get off your butts and quit pawning off the work of policing this community riot.

Edit:
Okay, saying the average LoL player is an a-hole is prob a bit too much. But, I would say that the majority of matches I've been in had a troll, rager, rage-quitter, rage provoker, internet tough guy, or other players around encouraging that kind of bahavior when they weren't the one exhibiting it.

BrokenCrown

08-15-2013

Just found this page after a miserable time with another player in silver 2 solo queue about how he was really diamond 5 and we should do whatever he said.

BTW he fed, did horrible, and blamed his support. I'm guessing he plays silver now because he's banned from his high account.

DerekTheMyth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2013

Lyte too wrong. XD

Arcanac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lios7 View Post
I'm in B4 dealing with the same thing you are. I win lane and/or gank other lanes successfully, then somebody derps hard and throws the game. I've thought the same thing about the League system here recently, but then I think, "What if I gained/lost the exact same LP every game?" The idea behind the point difference (at least IMO) is that by making a loss more impactful, the players with the highest win rates end up in the highest leagues. For instance, one of WildTurtle's accounts in challenger had a 200+/90 w/l record. A 60% or better win rate is what the truly good players achieve, and they are rewarded with a high ranking.

Meanwhile, we in the Bronze, Silver, and even some Gold experience bad teammates or just do bad ourselves. Therefore, if we don't win more than 55% of our games, we really don't advance. If the LP gained/lost was the same, a win streak would promote somebody to a division they may not belong in. I went on an 11-win streak from B3-high B2, then lost 2 in promo. Since I haven't been winning more than 55% of my games, I keep falling. The LP system is designed to keep potentially bad players out of the higher ranks. Even though somebody may be able to compete occasionally at a Gold level, they do not necessarily deserve to be in Gold permanently.

My friend has spent the 8 months I've been playing this game moving from Silver 3 to Diamond 1, and is now back down to Diamond 5. He's really good at Syndra, but doesn't play any other champs if he can avoid it. So since he plays at a D1 level (maybe even challenger, I've seen him stomp some of them) on Syndra, but doesn't on other champs, he's at the bottom of Diamond, essentially where he belongs
The point of even win/loss on LP is if you win more you will advance. I just won 2 games in a row yesterday, made 25 points. Lost once and lost all those points. Won 2 more, then lost, and there went all the points. So instead of advancing on 2 extra wins I had, I'm back at 0LP. Keeping bad players down, fine, but this system is also keeping good players down. No one person can carry a team unless his team mates at least have some sense on how to play. But when you have people feeding all game you will lose no matter how good you play. Because the moment you die, they will follow into the grave you. With an even win/loss system, good players will still advance while bad players will continue to remain where they are. I win 2/3 games all the time. But that third game always takes away the points I got from the 2 wins.

Fixing the LP system will improve player behavior. When someone sees their efforts just going down the drain no matter what they do, or how many times they win when one loss wipes it all out. they start to get upset and take it out on the people causing it. I recently played a Karthus game. I had the most cs, and my ult always killed 1-2 people. How ever top lane and Udyr fed the **** out of the enemy team. Udyr did nothing but tower dive and die. He was 0/10 by 20 mins, and was cussing at me when I tell him to stop chasing and dying.I was nice to udyr at the start, but when he went 0/6 I started getting pissed and cussing back. And our top laner kept getting caught out mid-late game and dying. We lost cause of it, and all my LP with it. 3 wins of points wiped out cause of that Udyr and the top laner I had.

If you do win most of your games then a loss won't matter. Example:

1 win gives 15 points
1 Loss takes 15 points

If I win 3 games, then lose 1, I'll end up at 30 instead of 45. But still advancing. I, myself, wouldn't get upset over the loss. But when 3 wins gives me 20 points, and a loss takes away all those points I begin raging at my team when they start playing bad. Also before someone say it. Yes I play bad sometimes too, but I stop doing it. When my opponent kills me 2 times I stop fighting him and focus farming. Where as everyone I get on my team who gets stomped, continues to engage his opponent and die more.

I play this game roughly 10 hours a day, and I get no where because one loss wipes out X number of wins.

HeIper

08-15-2013

You are working magic Lyte, keep up the good work.

HeIper

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iappe View Post
@Lyte - So, when Vulcun purposefully stops attacking the nexus and spams their opponent with taunts and laughs while on your payroll, do you think that sends a message that harassing other players is something you discourage? Cause it looks the exact opposite. It looks like to me that Riot goes so far as to encourage it, with /emotes not being something you can put on ignore.

Glad to see the "pro teams" being professional. You want your game to be taken seriously as a sport, sportsmanship has to be part of it. A taunt like that in any true sport would have garnered a penalty, and in many sports a fine.
I don't think anything was wrong with what Vulcan did. It's pretty much the same thing as in the NFL where the person who makes a touchdown dances around and celebrates. The spirit of competition! Sure it might make the other team upset but in by no way should be punishable at all. Even when playing against bots they give their in-game banter before the match starts. Also they did shake hands and exchanged pleasantries. It's not considered as harassment because by definition harassment is "To irritate or torment persistently." (thefreedictionary.com) All of that was only celebration and nothing more, and if you were to rage about that... well then that would be your issue.

Häßlich

08-16-2013

You could curb 90% of player behavior issues with a vote to kick at champ select so people stop troll picks, insta-locks, and general ******-baggery.