IMPORTANT: Arcade Hecarim needs his “Game Over” sign!

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hallows Evelynn

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsplosion View Post
Hoy, folks!

I was toying around with this idea during the skin's development and tried a few different forms of "thing that pops up on death", but the more I experimented with it the more it felt too much like Arcade Sona. Hecarim's death DOES still pay homage to a specific retro game trope, and in cases like this where we get to make nods to a culture as rich as video game history, I'll always opt for adding more variety! Ultimately, I think an arcade skin should be defined by its love for gaming culture, not necessarily a specific type of game over.

WHAT? the game over mess is easily the most iconic message in video game history. how can u have a arcade skin of anykind and not include a game over message of some kind? there are MANY different forms of it after all. a very simple simple "you have died" message is enough variety for game over without it being like arcade sona. it can be any message at all, it doesnt have to exactly say "game over" to mimic arcade sona.

Enigma Requiem

08-15-2013

I looked up the current death animation.

It's -amazing-.

The Continue thing is a badass idea tho.

Krimson62

08-15-2013

Quote:
Hoy, folks!

I was toying around with this idea during the skin's development and tried a few different forms of "thing that pops up on death", but the more I experimented with it the more it felt too much like Arcade Sona. Hecarim's death DOES still pay homage to a specific retro game trope, and in cases like this where we get to make nods to a culture as rich as video game history, I'll always opt for adding more variety! Ultimately, I think an arcade skin should be defined by its love for gaming culture, not necessarily a specific type of game over.
prehaps not a game over, but a continue screen with a 3 second countdown or something.

Nothing makes a classic arcade game like an old school game over or death.
every arcade game ever says "continue" or "game over"

Mirror

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypour View Post
You thought "game over" upon death was too much like Arcade Sona?

But you didn't think the identical skin name, the rainbows, the joystick/controller weapon, and the pixel particles were too?
You aren't getting the skin's reference.

I'm docking you 2 Gamer Points. Your gamer reputation has been lowered by 2.

Ryuujinmaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2013

Quote:
Hoy, folks!

The point isnt that you are making all skins the same but the GAME OVER is a motif of the Arcade skin type.

edit: Just like how it wouldnt be a Riot Skin (Graves, Nasus, Blitz, etc) without it saying RIOT on skin, thus a motif. And gg downvotes because people dont know what the word motif means. Glad to see that I am in a classy educated group.

Tenmar

08-15-2013

Quote:
Hoy, folks!

How about this Bit...why not ****ing realize that NONE of arcade hecarim's themes are retro at all. Why not just go all the way and go full on modern gaming skin? I mean you have a mobile game reference and one arcade reference. That's pretty much it. The rest are just retro graphics for the sake of retro graphics.

UltimaFatum

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamiator View Post
Can you make him explode then?
So much this. Everyone knows Robot Hecarim Attack blows up when he dies!

Entity Zero

08-15-2013

Why not pay homage to a retro theme and have him like, explode similar to something like megaman, drop coins around him like sonic, or maybe even have him turn into pixels that fall apart.

Voidgolem

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
How about this Bit...why not ****ing realize that NONE of arcade hecarim's themes are retro at all. Why not just go all the way and go full on modern gaming skin? I mean you have a mobile game reference and one arcade reference. That's pretty much it. The rest are just retro graphics for the sake of retro graphics.
/laugh

Kittypour

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
You aren't getting the skin's reference.

I'm docking you 2 Gamer Points. Your gamer reputation has been lowered by 2.
Shutup. I know what its reference is.

It's Robot Unicorn Attack, the flash game. And his recall is Guitar Hero. Yada yada. I'm just trying to say they went far enough with the similarities, what's wrong with a game over death?

12345678 ... 12