Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pantallica

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2013

Don't really like the new E and changes to Q. E doesn't really fit his kit, maybe you can make it fit more, but it's kinda like, why is this scorpion that is amazing in melee, and all about sticking in peoples face shooting a line nuke at people randomly? Also I feel like if you put the slow on E and remove it from Q, then Q will be bad and he won't be able to stick to people, everyone will just leave and his ganks without ult, or even after his ult ends, will be bad. His jungling will probbaly suffer, because he can't just main Q anymore, and his early ganks will be bad if the slow wears off, because his Q was designed to make his stick to targets doing little damage over time, now they will be running away, the range on his Q is so small he won't be able to keep pumping it into them and his DPS will drop significantly. If people complain about perma slow, he's not the only champ, nor the best at doing it. Nunu has perma ranged slow and a speed boost, Skarner really shouldn't have the Q slow removed unless you up the damage on it by a lot, because the range is so bad on it that he won't be able to spam it on the same target that many times without the slow

Protonhunter

08-14-2013

Thanks for getting back to us scruff. Any chance we could see this in the next three patches? Can you give us a very loose time frame like before the end of the year or early in season 4 or something?

best euro NA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2013

i'm lost, wasn't skarner just randomly nerfed at the start of s2? his w cd was raised and his ult changed, won't the easiest thing be to just undo them?

anyhow I used to play him s2 and the best part about skarner was he became unkillable after a while, he didnt do much damage, but he certainly didn't die

old skarner would always be the last to die on his team

TFS Kira

08-14-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
To me, the funnest thing about Skarner is when you catch that squishy carry out of position and he gets the punishment hammer that is Skarner's ult. Or when you're ganking from that lane with ghost and your w active, chasing down your prey, you see them under the tower but you dont care. You snag them out of tower into your team for a perma slow that's your q.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
He just doesn't feel like he is able to do his job if the enemy builds a heavy frontline. He's just not able to get through to his prime targets- the carries when you got things like amumu shen malphite in your way.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
I haven't honestly played against him enough lately to really say for sure...

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Rammus. Singed. Vi. There's several bruiser/tank champions that can get into the backline and do what Skarner does- but better.

Just my two cents.

ThatBlondGuy

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdragoon88 View Post
Can his battlecast look like this?

Attachment 744275
Considering that is a ZOID. . .I don't think they can make it like that.

Masarua

08-14-2013

Playing as a mage on mid, no one will suspect a thing. The heal on E was great for laning.
Just playing an alternative build is fun already.

The mana costs, as a mage in early game, you'll run out of mana every minute without blue buff.
Also the fact that he's so kiteable.

Once he gets close to you, you won't be able to escape.
His ultimate's cooldown is way too short because of his passive, it seems to be up everytime he ganks.

Ofcourse there are mages who are better at mid than Skarner. But he's an all around. He can sustain, He can burst, He can provide utility, He can Tank. He's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

Sightless66

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by best euro NA View Post
i'm lost, wasn't skarner just randomly nerfed at the start of s2? his w cd was raised and his ult changed, won't the easiest thing be to just undo them?

anyhow I used to play him s2 and the best part about skarner was he became unkillable after a while, he didnt do much damage, but he certainly didn't die

old skarner would always be the last to die on his team
Those nerfs were at the end of season 2. Both of those are being changed back. The shield cooldown is being reverted to 14 from 18, and the ultimate is being made more reliable. That won't be enough. Skarner isn't weak just because of those changes. The main reason Skarner is weak is because of the item and jungle changes that happened at the start of season 3. Resistances got nerfed and health got buffed (resistances were the main reason Skarner used to be unkillable. He needs them more than any other champion in the game), and the jungle was changed to single-target. You could revert his direct nerfs and he would still be weak because of those indirect nerfs.

best euro NA

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightless66 View Post
Those nerfs were at the end of season 2. Both of those are being changed back. The shield cooldown is being reverted to 14 from 18, and the ultimate is being made more reliable. That won't be enough. Skarner isn't weak just because of those changes. The main reason Skarner is weak is because of the item and jungle changes that happened at the start of season 3. Resistances got nerfed and health got buffed (resistances were the main reason Skarner used to be unkillable. He needs them more than any other champion in the game), and the jungle was changed to single-target. You could revert his direct nerfs and he would still be weak because of those indirect nerfs.
Ah ok I was wondering cause I remember trying to get to get him to where he was before and despite having a ton of items he still died waaay to fast

if it was indeed resistances then that means WW would be the same as he relied on them rather than just health

Sightless66

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by best euro NA View Post
Ah ok I was wondering cause I remember trying to get to get him to where he was before and despite having a ton of items he still died waaay to fast

if it was indeed resistances then that means WW would be the same as he relied on them rather than just health
Warwick was negatively affected by the changes, but even Warwick wasn't hurt as much as Skarner was. The reason why Skarner is so uniquely dependent on resistances is because both his damage and his tankiness are tied into them. First, he has a high effective base health because of his shield and the healing on his E, which makes resistances more efficient than health (similarly to Warwick). However, Skarner also has his steroid, which only works if he keeps the shield up. The attack speed that grants him works with his passive to decrease his cooldowns, leading to more damage, and a shorter time to the next shield (and therefore a greater uptime on the steroid, leading to more decreased cooldowns, and so on). This makes Skarner the single most resistances-reliant champion in the game, because he is reliant on the snowball effect of getting one long shield that leads to shorter cooldowns for the next one. That's why one of the proposed changes is moving the attack speed steroid off of his shield, so that it won't be so easy to completely gimp his damage by breaking his shield if he's behind.

Best Volibear NA

08-14-2013

Everything, I find it extremely fun to play Skarner as a top laner building damage early then going tanky later. He just stomps tankier champions early who think they can outdamage him.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Sure there are, but that's to be expected as he's an older champion now. Other disruptors/tanks can do the job better by being more tanky and peeling harder for the carries. Skarner feels more like a bruiser but his kit makes him look like a tank.