Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatedTitan

08-13-2013

So is changing the jungle completely a possibility? I don't have a problem with it currently, but I believe it was Morello saying how the way to make a Jungler get the gold intake needed early would mean changing the jungle and such. I didn't know if this was being seriously considered or not.

LightEcho

08-13-2013

Hmm the change I would like to see most on the rift is a reversion. Previously the range of the outer turrets was marked by the terrain, but this was removed in the summoner's rift visual update for some reason.

ExaltedVanguard

08-13-2013

I know there were several of these threads and I don't remember if I re-posted the idea in this one.

There should be subtle clues on the ground to indicate turret range and/or sight. A circle of bricks. Stones in the grass. Etc. Just a small thing for new players (and even older players) to avoid accidental turret aggro.

Squidd

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience

My question has two parts.

1) As an employee of Riot, I'm sure you are encouraged to play other games of the MOBA genre. I know it's a taboo to talk about DotA2 or HoN here, but I am curious about what you think about the environment for your competitors' games. Are there certain aspects of rival maps that you like, personally? Things that you dislike? Basically, what are some pros/cons of competitor environments? I would very much enjoy hearing the opinions coming from an Environmental Artist.

2) Here, we approach the hypothetical. Regarding the current iteration of SR, what do you like and dislike about the map? If given the opportunity to make one drastic alteration, what would you change?

HaveFunTrying

08-14-2013

While enhancing SR sounds like a good idea, please, consider adding some low poly/low definition SR. SR is the main field of LOL. I have got friends that can't play on HA without suffering constant frame rate drops. Consider these users, please. I believe this shouldn't be to hard to achieve.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-14-2013
29 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveFunTrying View Post
While enhancing SR sounds like a good idea, please, consider adding some low poly/low definition SR. SR is the main field of LOL. I have got friends that can't play on HA without suffering constant frame rate drops. Consider these users, please. I believe this shouldn't be to hard to achieve.

It is harder than you might think, but retaining high performance, or improving the performance of our maps is one of our highest priorities. Most of the Environment Team's technological effort is spent on trying to let us introduce art that both looks better and performs better. In the case of Howling abyss some bugs slipped through and some technology did not get finished in time, this led to some performance hits on our lowest end machines. We have fixed a lot of those issues and are continuing to address them. It is our goal will all of our maps that they perform at least as well as their previous incarnation.

Blafl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-14-2013

@RiotForScience

I was thinking about things to add to summoners rift when I realized something about the whole game.

We never see the summoners.

Summoners are the mystical beings that control a champions every move, I think they should be given some credit(we are the summoners after all)

I think the only time I've ever seen the summoners is in one of the cinematics, and I thought the concept was so cool, would you ever think of adding something like that in game or even in champion select?

Majin Bl3u

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
It is harder than you might think, but retaining high performance, or improving the performance of our maps is one of our highest priorities. Most of the Environment Team's technological effort is spent on trying to let us introduce art that both looks better and performs better. In the case of Howling abyss some bugs slipped through and some technology did not get finished in time, this led to some performance hits on our lowest end machines. We have fixed a lot of those issues and are continuing to address them. It is our goal will all of our maps that they perform at least as well as their previous incarnation.
While hitting as wide an audience as possible is important, at the same time I don't think its necessary to hold back on the visuals to accommodate for low end and older computers. Honestly, if your comp isn't good enough to play a game in 2013/14 on its lowest settings, you need to look into getting a new computer.

I know it sounds like a jerk thing to say, but think of it this way: Most companies have the luxury of upgrading game visuals when they release sequels and what not. People deem it as "acceptable" that while they could play the first game in the series they can't run the 2nd game because "oh, its a new game and its got great graphics that my comp cant handle". However LoL doesn't have this same luxury as it continually builds up and expands the same game, rather than releasing LoL2 etc. If LoL were to release a crazy patch where all the visuals were radically enhanced, however some low-end machines where no longer supported, a ****-storm would ensue.

So where is the middle ground? When can LoL leave older machines behind? Its not a question I can answer, but its one I hope that Riot addresses.

Lol is a 4 year old game. I personally don't think its necessary for low end machines that could run the game in 2009 to still be able to run the game now.

irott

08-14-2013

I think some of the areas that need the most love are the Baron and Dragon pits.

While they are "objectives" that are to be taken and left it would still be nice to see some sort of visual representation of the battle that was fought there.

For example when Baron is defeated, how about sending cracks through the pit to make it more of a crater with water from the river pouring in. Or when the Dragon is defeated its bones are scattered around the pit until it respawns.

Same could be done with the jungle monsters. Along with the same vein as a Cave for the wolves to spawn out of, the golems could shatter and leave stones lying about and then reform when they respawn.

Frightened Toast

08-14-2013

"While they are "objectives" that are to be taken and left it would still be nice to see some sort of visual representation of the battle that was fought there.

For example when Baron is defeated, how about sending cracks through the pit to make it more of a crater with water from the river pouring in. Or when the Dragon is defeated its bones are scattered around the pit until it respawns."

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^