Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2013

A few of the main suggestions I've posted a long time ago in the forums concerned very important aspects of the game that still seem abandoned or ignored. I will list the ones I can remember below.

1. Minions Need a VU: With how much the game has evolved and improved...We still have to kill the same old, low poly, messy-textured, wacky-themed, wonky-animated, minions. I don't know if Riot is keeping them around because they want to preserve them as relics of the first days of the game...or if they are actually happy with how they look(highly doubt this is the case). They are probably the most outdated game models in the game, they have begun to feel more and more out of place as the game as time has passed. Even the jungle monsters got VU's what about the minions? I understand their poly count should be kept low since there will be plenty of minions on screen at a time and their texture sizes need to remain low as well for the same reason, but low poly sculpting and texturing has come a long way since early LOL days. There are many ways they can be enhanced visually while still keeping them resource efficient for the game . Also it might be worth exploring the idea of making different minion themes per map. IronStylus constantly brings up the importance of theme and minions could use a theme shower. Imagine how unique minions could look for Twisted Treeline in comparison to minions who dwell in The Crystal Scar, Howling Abyss and of course Summoners Rift.

2. Important 3D Assets in SR like the Nexus and Turrets need a VU: Turrets are important objectives on the map and they look too standard and almost blended into the environment. They need more interesting models, effects, and destruction animations. They need to stand out more and look more menacing or glorious. They need more visual importance. Specially the Nexus model needs attention. Would be cool to explore ideas like sliding doors that open up to spawn the minions, instead of how it is now where they just appear. Also the spawn fountain in SR is pretty bland at the moment, it was cool that the NPC salesman was added with the last VU but this can certainly be explored further like the ones in Howling Abyss.

3. Baron and Dragon Models are too cute and cuddly: I'm not sure if it's because we've been looking at these objective models for too long but they are certainly not imposing. They don't feel like these stoic creatures that live in SR they feel more like prisoners of the river, stuck in their perfectly circular habitats. The dragon can be more majestic and possibly more elemental. The current dragon is very bland and not threatening at all. It would be cool if it was a dragon surrounded by waterfalls or something like a water or ice dragon...instead of your run of the mill, bland static dragon. Baron could use the same approach but even more... it should look like an enormous and menacing creature that when defeated, it gives players a great sense of accomplishment. Right now it is a big welcoming round-edged pink, purple, magenta worm...Could definitely use more exploration. Also his habitat should reflect the personality and theme of the monster, he can be polluting the water, infecting nearby vegetation, creating a nest.

I'll add more when I think of them but again this all goes back to theme, which is a bit all over the place in SR right now.

Squidd

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience

What major themes from SR are you not willing to let go and preserve in the new map? Or are you considering doing a complete overhaul of the traditional 5v5 map?

Also, since the topic of spawn animations was brought up, what are you thoughts on a brief spawn cinematic and end-game cinematic?

exec3

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Definitely, but the thing I like about this idea is that we do not need to apply it retroactively or universally (like we would for unique deaths based on damage types) We could just add this to an upcoming skin or champ and slowly thread it into our normal champ output.I think the downside of this feature is that it would literally play once per map unless we also used it as the way that champs respawn after death.

Concerning the summoning circle idea, I think that is a good idea too. It would require a rework of the base platform. I like how it could add some explanation about how champs actually get to the fields of justice to begin with.
I thought some champs/skins already do this (Zombie Brand claws out from under the ground) though those in charge are so-so on the feature because as you said you'd only see it once at the beginning and you'll usually miss it when you respawn.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-13-2013
26 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen View Post
A few of the main suggestions I've posted a long time ago in the forums concerned very important aspects of the game that still seem abandoned or ignored. I will list the ones I can remember below.

None of these suggestions have been either abandoned or ignored. All of the suggestions in this thread have been read by several Rioters including myself. I cannot comment about every idea, even really good ones. These ideas are great, and completely non-controversial from my point of view. That is about the only thing I can say about that.

You are being heard

RiotForScience

08-13-2013
27 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
@RiotForScience

What major themes from SR are you not willing to let go and preserve in the new map? Or are you considering doing a complete overhaul of the traditional 5v5 map?

Also, since the topic of spawn animations was brought up, what are you thoughts on a brief spawn cinematic and end-game cinematic?
That is a really good question. Understand that this thread is just to gather community thoughts about how they feel about SR. At some point I may start one for each of the maps. I have not said that there is any work going on for SR at all. However...

I think that the theme "Summoner's Rift" is really important. I would not abandon that name or that concept. I would want to enhance it.

I think the general motif of SR being set in a magical forest is important.

I think the Tone of SR being beautiful and inviting is also important, though there are a lot of ways to convey beauty and I would explore that idea deeper.

I think the core gameplay of the map is sacred. The Environment Team would only make changes to a map (Whether that map is TT,SR, HA, or CS) that they felt enhanced the existing gameplay. Things that improve clarity are our highest priority. I would not make an alteration to the navigable space unless it was absolutely unnecessary.

I think that anything beyond that core is fair game.(again just my personal opinion about what is the most important parts of the map) I think a brief cinematic adding some drama to the beginning and end of the match is a really good idea. I hope that answers your question.

RiotForScience

08-13-2013
28 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
The only thing Riot needs to get their heads out of their asses on is TT/Dominion access on other regions.
I actually looked into this. The thing stopping us from publishing these maps to all regions is the relationship between concurrent users on a server and que times. In order to ensure that people don't need to wait in long ques to get into matches in the maps that they have available; we clamp the amount of available modes just until that problem resolves itself. The short answer is that TT and CS will be coming to LatAm soon...

Crimson Crisis

08-13-2013

Would you ever consider doing a moderately large overhaul on the visuals of SR? Nothing that would change the feel of the map that you're trying to preserve (Maintaining the "magic forest" feel and such) but something like changing the river to a river of slime for examples sake

IS173099a438e452c16cc2d

08-13-2013

Mr. RiotForScience please read my post:

As far as LoL is known by being colorful - and you wish to keep it that way - please include a saturation/vibrance setting in the options, this way the player can control what he sees.

I'm asking this because I'm getting tired of the game's colors, so much that I must use a modified d3d9.dll (sweetFX) that significantly reduces saturation. This way I can keep playing the game without getting tired off of it.

I also miss the winter map and the good ol' summoner's rift at night custom map (not available anymore) because they brought different, less vibrant colors to the game and that new sight made it feel new again.

Please, think about the colors. It's getting really tiresome to see all the same colors over and over again for YEARS (there's been years already since the last SR variation).

Also, some modders can do a really good work alone in a matter of hours, just recolouring the map. Can't you guys do something like 'winter', 'spring' and 'autumn' versions of SR at release? Or maybe SR with Howling Abyss textures? (OMG THAT WOULD BE AMAZING)

Even if it was just something that one player could choose to see in his own game window, not affecting the others'.

But please I ask again: think about the vibrance/saturation switcher.

Thank you.

Squidd

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience

You mention "the theme of Summoner's Rift" in your post. Could you elaborate more on this? Aside from the broad concept of magical forest, what visual or conceptual ideas do you find to be key in the thematics of SR?

The current map is a hodgepodge of things. There's a forest. There's crystals. There's pig and centaur statues as towers. There's torches. What would you do to to consolidate the theme of "Summoner's Rift?"

ScottyRawr

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
"1. i would love to see sr on night
2. interactive object, destroying boxes, barrels, caves, etc.
3. make it look like the new beta site backgrouds" -Lax Is Back
It would be pretty cool if the map changed as the day went by (If it's morning, it'll be morning on the map, night, then night on the map). I know NA has a few time zones, but the closest it could possibly get for everyone maybe?