@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlueKnife

08-12-2013

Hi Lyte

I think Restricted Chat is a nice feature, it should be a much better option than banning in most case.
But have you thought of anything that could replace ban in more serious cases?

How about temporatory locking the player's 5 most played champions and let them unlock these again by playing?

Would it works if we make it so that the restriction is lift faster if the player is honored by other players (of course it doesn't apply for premade teams)?

EDIT: Another thought: extending the restriction slightly when the player are reported by others.

SlamHannigan

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epikarus View Post
I asked this in the other thread, but no answer. Did we give consent to participate in this psychological experiment? I'm pretty sure its illegal to do such experiments without consent.
Psychology grad here. Number one, this is not a formal experiment. Number two, you give consent by playing the game. If you wish to revoke your consent, you can stop playing, and you have the right to. Assuming, again, you're treating this like an actual, formal experiment, which it isn't. Number three, we do not give our personal info to Riot's behavior team, making us functionally anonymous. No professional ethics are being violated here.

mackman

08-12-2013

Quote:
I asked this in the other thread, but no answer. Did we give consent to participate in this psychological experiment? I'm pretty sure its illegal to do such experiments without consent.
You give your consent every single time you click "I agree" on the ToS and EULA, genius. But please, tell us how Riot is forcing you to play their free game.

Epikarus

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamHannigan View Post
Psychology grad here. Number one, this is not a formal experiment. Number two, you give consent by playing the game. If you wish to revoke your consent, you can stop playing, and you have the right to. Assuming, again, you're treating this like an actual, formal experiment, which it isn't. Number three, we do not give our personal info to Riot's behavior team, making us functionally anonymous. No professional ethics are being violated here.
What is considered a formal experiment? I'm pretty sure my name and email address including date of birth was used to sign up for league account. I did a quick glance of the TOS says i consent to monitoring, nothing about being apart of a experiment.

BlueKnife

08-13-2013

Quote:
What is considered a formal experiment? I'm pretty sure my name and email address including date of birth was used to sign up for league account. I did a quick glance of the TOS says i consent to monitoring, nothing about being apart of a experiment.
You're making a mistake here.

Firstly, your name and email don't matter. They weren't used for this and nobody cares about you in anyway.

Secondly, What they were experimenting with is THEIR SYSTEM, making changes to THEIR SYSTEM based on the information that they get by MONITORING (which you have give them consent by playing the game) everyone's performance (surely not yours alone).

Thirdly, Psychology was used as a tool but it's not the purpose of this experiment.

An Example:
You own a restaunt. Your food is okey but you want to make something different so you change your recipe slightly and see if this new recipe is well received, then change the recipe again -> look at the result -> repeat until you have the best result. In a way you're doing an experiment on your customers.
So here's the question: Does that make you doing an illegal experiment because you did not ask your customer any kind of consent?

NA Rukhron

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We've considered queue restrictions, but have to carefully weigh the potential costs. If we restrict negative players from playing a queue, what is the execution? Is it time-based, or is it game-based (i.e = they have to play X number of Normal Summoner's Rift games to unlock Ranked again). In either case, if we restrict Ranked queues from negative players, do they simply shift their toxicity into the other game modes? Is that a worthwhile risk?

We know that context plays a powerful role in shaping one's behavior, so it might be that the player would be perfectly sportsmanlike in other queues and Ranked is just a high-tension environment that creates toxicity; however, the player might just be having a streak of bad days (or weeks) and directly carry the negative behavior into other queues.
3 sucessive Normal games without being reported (any report resets you back to 0). Reincidence (may) increases the ammount of sucessive games without being reported.

It's a short "take a breath and relax" moment you impose to them as punishment for their behavior. Communicate it clearly to them when they're thrown into this situation and in a way they feel good about it (rather than saying "you're mean, take punishment (Lyte smite! )" tell then "you're being mean, take this time to relax before playing ranked again to avoid more severe forms of punishment").

"Your behavior during ranked games was deemed negative (fancy explanation on that if you want) and your ranked queue was disabled. This is a soft and private restriction intended to grant a chance of you to avoid further restrictions and will be lifted by playing 3 consecutive normal games on any queue without being reported."

Tips show/hide (note: this would be a button)
Some tips for him to relax like:
Take a small break before continuing to play to avoid bringing the stress from previous games into new ones.
Consistently showing good behavior will reduce the overall time of this restriction as well as reduce the incidence of any form of punishment.
Exercise regularly. Researches show that it is an effective mood boosting activite
Showing misbehavior consistently enhance the incidence and severity of punishments, try to avoid these situation even if you need to stop for a while
Don't be harsh on yourself, everyone has bad games or lose their temper from time to time, work to improve how you handle it.
and so on.

TSM Lunar Rush

08-13-2013

Can i ask something?, I used to make about 2500 ip a day now im still playing the same amount of time but i get like 900 did somethng change?

Osamabinlagging

08-13-2013

Woowwwww

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-13-2013
82 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKnife View Post
Hi Lyte

I think Restricted Chat is a nice feature, it should be a much better option than banning in most case.
But have you thought of anything that could replace ban in more serious cases?

How about temporatory locking the player's 5 most played champions and let them unlock these again by playing?

Would it works if we make it so that the restriction is lift faster if the player is honored by other players (of course it doesn't apply for premade teams)?

EDIT: Another thought: extending the restriction slightly when the player are reported by others.
For a punishment or restriction to be effective, it has to be meaningful to the player. If a player only wants to play Vayne, and we restrict Vayne, that's meaningful; but, how many players would simply play other champions for a few games, making the punishment meaningless?

TropicanaOJ

08-13-2013

Shouldn't it also be related to what the person has actually done? Resitricting people from their favourite champions for a few games because of bad behaviour doesn't seem like it helps to point out what the player has done wrong or how they could improve in the way that restricted chat ("maybe I didn't need to insult my team to play after all") or even a ban does.

All restricting champions would realy do is say that you've been a jerk, now you basically aren't allowed to have fun or play as well as you could be, so they might see it as an incentive to make the games until they get their favourites back as painful for everyone else as it might be for them.