Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

08-13-2013
19 of 35 Riot Posts

Two more pieces of clarification about the E we are currently testing.

-It slows immediately (not on the mark proc)
-The mana cost is significantly lower than the old E

Also, thanks for the feedback, I read it all. This new Skarner is very strong in our playtests so far. I am personally very excited about the skillshot E because it adds a bit more thought and precision into his gameplay.

Dark Embrace

08-13-2013

Sounds cool, the length of the slow sounds satisfying, making any landed shot during a gank more rewarding.

Lore Master

08-13-2013

RiotScruffy,

Can you clarify if this new skill shot can be cast without interrupting Skarner's movement? The coolest part of Skarner (besides his ult of course) is his being able to skitter around all over while casting. I'd hate to have that feel broken up on every chase because i'm refreshing a slow.

I mean if it's firing from his tail it shouldn't interrupt Auto attacking or previous orders.

Mestergrog

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynque View Post
@Riot: Since you are apparently going to remove his perma slow I think you then also need to look at one specific other jungler who can do the same things as skarner (aka catch up to you with a speed up, slow you then stick to you like glue even through a flash)... because the slow is from range... hes this obnoxious little cretin who rides a big fluffy Monsters Inc reject....
Nunu's E has a 6 second cooldown and slows for 3 seconds (less if you have any type of CC reduction), so it's not nearly as spammable as Skarner's Q (3.5 sec cooldown, 2 second slow, cooldown reduced with each attack)

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2013

I'll have to wait to see it in play yet, I guess.

Overall, it doesn't sound particularly thrilling. I suppose the Q change is to make getting IBG less redundant on Skarner since it's been a good item for him since release. I understand the logic there; I'm not particularly fond of tying him to that item now. I was hoping E would actually do something interesting with Skarner's kit/thematics once it was actually looked at rather than be some weird compromise between legacy and let's introduce further counter-play to him. I suppose Trinity Force might become somewhat gimmicky on Skarner like in S2 if Trinity Force does keep Phage's potential new skill passive.

Just feels like another case of introducing more unneeded counter-play to a melee champion that if buffed might actually threaten ADC targets again (akin to the highly tentative Olaf changes at the moment on the PBE).

I don't believe we'll be seeing as much of a play increase with Skarner at the moment since it does little at present to make him more competitive with the utility junglers that replaced him in S3---which was a huge part of the Q&A in the initial post. E still feels like a waste of design space to me now since I don't see AP Skarner being viable anymore in mid or top lane.

The overall skill intent, I believe, is to make him clear better and have a slightly better early gank period in order to transition into mid-to-late game a bit better; the junglers are presently gold-starved this season, so I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to actually build IBG in a higher-level competitive setting on Skarner at the moment.

It may just be because I'm looking at all the hypotheticals here; I'd love again to here more feedback from very experienced Skarner junglers that played him in ranked in season 2. Because I'm looking at strong parallels with the recent Olaf rework at the moment where there seems to be a heavy fear of untapping his potential too far; he's going to be kind of "eh." Kind of like we've seen with Leblanc thus far since her changes.

Majin Bl3u

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Two more pieces of clarification about the E we are currently testing.

-It slows immediately (not on the mark proc)
-The mana cost is significantly lower than the old E

Also, thanks for the feedback, I read it all. This new Skarner is very strong in our playtests so far. I am personally very excited about the skillshot E because it adds a bit more thought and precision into his gameplay.
Pre-level 6: "Oh no! Here comes skarner! He might slow us for 2.5 seconds!!!!!"

Meanwhile - Every other jungler ever has better ganking cc or atleast higher burst damage+gap closing.

I think we are ALL excited about the "thought and precision" provided by the new ability! "Should I slow them? Hmm... Better be precise or my already terrible ganking might be even worse!"

Toaster36

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
-Deals magic damage to targets hit and now slows them for 30/35/40/45/50 for 2.5s
Is that flat 30/35/40/45/50 MS or 30%/35%/40%/45%/50% MS?

HeWhoSpectates

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster36 View Post
Is that flat 30/35/40/45/50 MS or 30%/35%/40%/45%/50% MS?
% obviously.

Vivi R66

08-13-2013

I really dont want an E that makesm e stop moving to use it, that will completelly destroy the fun of "speedy Skarner ganking you and you should worry", and its the reason nobody used E before on ganks: animatio nwas too slow, you lost too much distance to the target, and then the gank would be stupid worthless even if you got the Q slow.

Now Q doesnt slow anymore, so make me stop moving to slow the enemy will feel... terrible.

I dont want skarner to have an E that feels like a Nocturne Q: It never hits every monster of the jungle camp because its so narrow, and if you miss it means your gank has a high chance of failure. I DONT WANT NOCTURNE, i want Skarner.

I liked the idea of the E of before... it means i wont stop moving at least, and even similar to Vi's E, its still unique and FITS.

Registeel1234

08-13-2013

Does skarner will still have AD and AP scalling on his Q?