Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaneypoo

08-06-2013

I haven't read ALL of the thread, so apologies if I reiterate point made already.
As shown in the Baron Nashor's pit, it's very empty. The map itself is empty feeling and hollow. Rift itself, while a 'warground' shouldn't seem that..well.. clean. Or barren. Trees and brush yada yada yada. yes. I get that.
Nothing feels inherently special about the map, and the one I play most often.
I personally, use a custom skin map for numerous reasons.
One: It looks better, cleaner, and the colours are nicer, and it's always easy to read the chat.
Two: You can tell the people who did this, had the time to do it.
So I get that you're busy, and I appreciate that you're hearing us out.

Back to my initial point.
Baron: He looks cool as hell, and it's said 'He who control the Baron, controls the Game'.
Why isn't he in a more badass place?
Put SOMETHING there. mountains of gold (I jest, maybe for the dragon pit?), mermaids, a swimming pool, i don't care. Make it more thrilling.
The lanes: The lanes themselves are pretty cool lanes who don't afraid of anything, but I always find myself wondering... why don't they feel like an intense battleground.

The jungle feels pretty intense. All the brush. it's crazy.
The lanes don't. :[

Some random ideas I always thought would be funny...
Minion bodies never fade away
turrets fall and you need to walk around the rubble
inhibtors being destroyed(enemies) hurts you (trolololol)
your champion can fall or something over a recently killed champions body.
I'm strange and I know it.
But yes, rift feels meek.

jimskiller

08-06-2013

awesome design and colours, great game!

ImRaimsfromeune

08-07-2013

Dragon should be on the ground and stomp people and special attack would be breath fire

RemusNeo

08-11-2013

So, when is Riot going to change SR's graphics again?

Squidd

08-11-2013

@RiotForScience

How do you feel about having different spawn/dying animations for jungle creeps? Like, instead of having them magically spawn out of nowhere, maybe you can have them emerge from a cave or a hut or something. It would make for more fluid gameplay. For example, you can have bandits come out of a hideout when they spawn and when they are defeated, they drop and crawl back to their hideout. Or with undead jungle creeps, you can have them emerge from a pile of bones when they spawn and turn back into a pile of bones when they are defeated.

Also, how do you feel about adding a "boss" HP Bar for Dragon and Baron? Sort of like how bosses in other games have a larger, more readable HP bar appearing upon engaging. It would make things a lot easier for players -- especially when smiting or stealing. And on the topic of "boss" creeps, how do you feel about giving them VOs. Great outlet for exploring lore!

Naughty Jake

08-12-2013

Currently bottom lane purple side has to place two wards one is tri bush and one at dragon to be protected from a jungler. At the same time bottom lane blue team only has to place one ward at dragon. because tri bush is on their side. I think this should be fixed so that bot and top lanes are fair from a warding perspective.

Also when two or more champions are in a bush together their is a graphical overlay that appears around them. It looks like a square.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-12-2013
22 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
@RiotForScience

How do you feel about having different spawn/dying animations for jungle creeps? Like, instead of having them magically spawn out of nowhere, maybe you can have them emerge from a cave or a hut or something.

This is a great idea. I really like how having more narrative spawns could impact their areas. I dig it on my end. I will make sure the animators hear about it too.

Insidiae

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This is a great idea. I really like how having more narrative spawns could impact their areas. I dig it on my end. I will make sure the animators hear about it too.
For blue buff i could imagine that the smal lizards spawn from smal tents(untargettable) few seconds earlier and perform a short ritual to summon the golem.

RemusNeo

08-12-2013

Another nice thing not related only to SR is that champions to die differently when killed by different elements, like burning to flames when killed by Brand or getting cut by blades, something like the deaths from SC2, like bainlings killing units with acid.

Squidd

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience

I'm just curious, as members from the Environmental Team seldom post on the forums, what do you guys actually do? Or rather, to what extent does "Environment Art" reach? So you guys handle terrain design, but do you guys handle creep design? Building design? Map animations? Creep animations? Do you guys just provide concept art or do you guys get involved with sculpting too?

Also, I highly appreciate you taking the time to talk to players. Thank you for that.