@Art Design: Pretty please stop giving skins to champions that don't need them.

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 24
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirvinn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2013

Rumble has big model issues that make it hard to do skins for him.

EpicShoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
True, although remember Zombie Brand and Headmistress Fiora? They were both very underplayed champions but after those skins came out, everyone still bought them.

Not the best example, but a good one.
Yes, well Riot did play a little with our emotions, fantasies, etc. on those skins with zombies and sexy headmistresses, but those came out along with other skins as well. I'd expect Riot to come out with more skins for those who have little whenever they do the same and release alot at once. Just some speculation.

StationaryObject

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinbountykin View Post
Sure, but when it comes to someone like Janna who already has a large amount of skins, INCLUDING a Victorious skin, I think the newer champions should have priority.
Large amount of skins.

She has 3 purchasable skins. One was a skin that was given away for free for only ranked gold players.

Three is not a large amount of skins. That's her two release skins and one extra.
Saying Janna has a lot of skins, is like saying Soraka has a lot of skins.

JK6 FORCE

08-12-2013

You gotta look at it from their perspective. They can draw, and they may have some ideas, but they wanna make the skins not stupid like they did when they started this game. See how there are more legendary skins and quality skins?

They wanna try and make the buy worthwhile, and get a good net income due to everyone owning these champs. It's like saying thank you to their roots.

I wouldn't go too hard on them. For all we know, IronStylus has like 40 skins on speed dial, and cannot implement them all becuase they don't want to give something terrible or extremely fan-fic-y.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

08-12-2013
1 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
You guys do fantastic work, and it gets better and better as each and every day passes it seems. But, I got a few names for you. I think just the name alone brings me point home - and yes I know many of these are "new" but so what?

Rumble (The King of the Unloved on this list) - [seriously this guy needs another skin]

Urgot

Zed

Zyra

Thresh

Nami

Skarner

Kha'Zix

Rengar

Syndra

Viktor

Vi

Okay, can we at least agree on 1) Rumble and 2) They need to spread them out just a bit more? Janna is getting ANOTHER skin, this time a fancy one.
Every champion listed above currently has a skin in development, somewhere along the pipeline. Delays and time between skins hinge on a number of factors, I'll list some particular to this list:

Urgot - Something under development, however he's shambly and we need to screw with the rig a lot.

Zed - Fairly straight forward aside from that his shadows might be something else entirely in any given skin, mandating possibly another model and particle work for that model.

Zyra - Tons of models which require animation if they're anything different than the plant rigs, lots of particle work.

Thresh - Chains.

Nami - If we change the model into a different type of fish/sea creature, that will requite custom rigging for whatever additions we make. Example, new fins/membranes need a lot of animation support. She's also very particle heavy.

Skarner - Soon(tm)

Kha'Zix - Extremely VFX heavy, evolving model, etc.

Rengar - Not sure where he's at. He's straight forward, but not terribly old.

Syndra - Heavy particle work, possibly fabric animation support depending on the theme. Doing something cosmic would most likely require model translucency and/or scrolling textures which are just now being used on some newer skins.

Viktor - Tons of particle work and a couple of models for his traps.

Vi - Fairly recent release, should be something along relatively Soon(tm)

Aside from those specifics, certain things can constrain production, mainly VFX and animation. Both of which are heavily valued when it comes what players enjoy about new skins. Both tend to be the most pinched of resources internally. Additionally, a skin for any given champion might be in production, but then an event (Lunar Revel, Harrowing, etc) might pop up on our radar and we may realize a champion would better fit there. We might put the in-progress skin on hold while we make something appropriate for an upcoming event. Happened to a concept of mine recently.

As for Rumble, which people keep bringing up, Ill restate: Hes the equivalent to the work of a new champion. He requires a completely new rig and animation sets if hes to be anything different than the rickety mech hes in now. That rig doesnt support anything to the magnitude of fan-requested ideas, or concepts players have submitted. Were going to change his rig for his upcoming skins. One of which is currently in production, but as I said, needs heavy animation support.

Hope that helps clarify!

StationaryObject

08-12-2013

Good Guy Parrot.
Gonna bookmark your post so I can use it to answer the people who constantly make posts.

SlumlordThanatos

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Additionally, a skin for any given champion might be in production, but then an event (Lunar Revel, Harrowing, etc) might pop up on our radar and we may realize a champion would better fit there. We might put the in-progress skin on hold while we make something appropriate for an upcoming event. Happened to a concept of mine recently.
This would explain both Blitzcrank and Hecarim's skins. Both of their most recent skins were for special events (iOS client launch and Halloween, respectively).

Also, people keep forgetting that only other skin Hecarim has received since he was released was a legacy skin only available during Halloween. Discounting that one, he still has release skins, and he was released quite a while ago.

Calintz6565

08-12-2013

Sejuani didn't need a new skin over the champs with like 1, that was pointless.

SlumlordThanatos

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calintz6565 View Post
Sejuani didn't need a new skin over the champs with like 1, that was pointless.
It's not the quantity of skins, it's the amount of time since a given champion has received their previous skin. Sejuani still had launch skins, she was due.

drakon136

08-12-2013

I have always believed and will continue to believe that we need a legendary Sion skin, if only so people will play him.

12345612 ... 24