New Item Icons!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AntiSkillshot

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artome View Post
Can't believe Rito is wasting time making new Icon images. LoL is a joke now...
I hate people like you. Thinking the Riot team has only 10 people working on the game.
Not like there's whole art teams, that have more than 5 people per team, that work on different things. Oh wait... there is...
Might I also add, not everyone at Riot works on art. Hell, more than 80% of the Riot workers, work on something that isn't related to art.

RiotRadioblur

UI Artist

08-05-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkaidemor View Post
Agreed. A month is INSANE. I could make more icons than this in a day. Bit more if I had to go through discussions and touch-ups, but definately not a MONTH.
As I said, "The overall work time on these was about a month in between other icon projects," which means we had a lot of things going on simultaneously. Keep in mind we're trying to hit all the new content too, guys. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirana Arashi View Post
RiotRadioblur , I was wondering , Are you in charge of updating champion's abilities icons?

Because , I had a really big doubt. Why didn't you change the ability icons for some champions when they got a Visual Upgrade? I know you did for Annie , Karma , Master Yi , Katarina. But why not Ashe , Nidalee , Soraka?(just examples)

Soraka , for example , really needs new icons to match her new look and all. Her old ability Icons just look.. really outdated and not really pretty.

I know this doesn't exactly belong to this thread , but I would really appreciate It If you could give me an answer.
I'm doing most of our icons internally right now, but the whole Visual Design department shares a lot of that responsibility so it doesn't really fall to any one of us in particular. I can say that updating relaunched champion ability icons was a movement I started when I got here, which was just before Annie was relaunched. We're looking at ways to get back and update all the old stuff, but there's a lot of new content rolling out all the time that eats up a significant amount of bandwidth. I don't want to promise anything, but I assure you it's not off our radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravechaosknight View Post
That being said, were these Icons worked on by the Vigil hires I read about? The style reminds me so much of the Darksiders art, and for me that's not a bad thing. I was a fan of Vigil long before I became a Riot fan and it makes me happy to see the style live on in another of my favorite games.
Actually all of these items were primarily spearheaded by me with some seriously huge assists from all the other departments. There are quite a few Vigil folks around the office, but none of them had much of a hand in this rework pass to my knowledge. That said, we might be seeing some down the road with some of them jumping in for support, just as long as the end result continues to feel distinctly "Riot."

TerraIgnis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2013

New item icons suck. Please change back.

Edit: I'm a player that's been with league for 4 years. These new icons are disgusting.

Ashes Boobs

08-05-2013

How come everything with a skull on it had the skull completely removed?

TerraIgnis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes Boobs View Post
How come everything with a skull on it had the skull completely removed?
The new icons are the icons tailored specifically for China. In China, depiction of blood and skulls is quite taboo. Thus there are no skulls. There is no blood.

Ashes Boobs

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraIgnis View Post
The new icons are the icons tailored specifically for China. In China, depiction of blood and skulls is quite taboo. Thus there are no skulls. There is no blood.
So then why does Riot not just say that, instead of coming up with bull**** reasons (see his 2nd post in this thread)

TerraIgnis

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes Boobs View Post
So then why does Riot not just say that, instead of coming up with bull**** reasons (see his 2nd post in this thread)
Cus bull**** reasons sound better than telling people they had to do it because of Chinese taboos.

Saying they did it because of Chinese taboos would lead to people saying...

THIS IS 'MERICA! Screw the Chinese taboos.

and maybe outbursts of racism.

(I'm Chinese, just not from China.)

Albireo

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
My only problem is that, at a glance, deathfire grasp looks a great deal like HexCore: augment gravity
I was wondering why nobody else mention this before, it looks like a discarded upgraded for Viktor when you put them side to side.

The other ones are still in line with their old selfs, exept for it. feels a little weird.

Not complaining about, visual updates are always nice.

FlamingoFondue

08-05-2013

no need to make up all this BS. Man up and admit the only reason you did it was because of China *****ing about skulls.

Akuni

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRadioblur View Post
The primary goal of the reworks was to improve clarity, and then to build thematic connections between the item visuals and the other aspects of their design. Familiarity was a big concern as we began working on these—how far can we push the designs until they become too hard to adapt to?—but a few icons had very little in their visuals that could be held onto. When we were looking into which icons to re-design first, we wanted to seek out the ones that presented some of the biggest challenges to redesign, the ones whose themes seemed seriously out of line with their visuals, or whose current art didn’t localize well. From there, we wanted to find ways to build them into the rest of our game’s world in a way that felt consistent and logical.
Meanwhile, Nome implements Monflair Spellblade which gives resistances(As all swords do!) and has a ranged only tag (Because long-range-sword!) ^^

Don't get me wrong I'm not ranting, I'm just trying to sarcastically point to those inconsistencies. They really bug me - You can look at Thornmail and you'll know what it does:
It's armor, it gives resistances - check
It has thorns, it hurts you when you touch it - check (sorta)
Name and item-design match so well - Why would you break this principle just because you want to recycle an item there?

So, just a humble request: Please not only update the visuals, have an eye on those items which match/don't match their icon and adjust those accordingly.