Multi Answer Poll: 1. Do you support this cause? 2. What name do you like better?

Question 1: I support this cause! 47 61.04%
Question 1: I do no support this cause! 13 16.88%
Question 1: I'm on the fence for this cause! 11 14.29%
Question 2: Rusty Blitzcrank 38 49.35%
Question 2: Junkyard Blitzcrank 14 18.18%
Question 2: Other/New Name 8 10.39%
Optional Selection 1: Riot pls! 30 38.96%
Optional Selection 2: Hue 34 44.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Re-birth: Rusty Blitzcrank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlatinumRooster

08-05-2013

Hello everyone. This was a ticket I worked very hard on for a few hours that I just sent in to Riot. It's with a hopeful heart that I post it here in dreams of it becoming a reality. This is not a short post. It does not have the best formatting but please bare with me through it and take the time. It'd be much appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before this is treated as just another ticket, I'd like this to be sent to the marketing department or whoever it may concern. I write this as a ticket in respect of the companies decision but as a direct argument against it. The forums are no place for a letter like this (though it will make its way there) and I'd appreciate if this could be seen by the proper people for analysis.

To whom it may concern in the respected departments:

I'd like to resurrect the dead horse to beat it once more on the subject of Rusty Blitzcrank; its availability, its removal, rebuttals against its removal, arguments and motives for its re-implementation or possible workarounds.

Why do I concern myself with Rusty Blitzcrank? I've always been a curator for the arts. I've always seen the art in some things where others may have not. For me personally, ever since I've learned about Rusty Blitzcrank 2 years ago, I've been infatuated with it and, in the end, we've all learned to love the simple things. Sure, a robot with wheels and flames painted on it is pretty cool or maybe with it wearing massive boxing gloves. I can see the appeal and I whole heartily respect it. However, with the simplicity of the Rusty Blitzcrank skin, it's really all I ever wanted out of our favorite Steam Golem and because of that, I swore never to buy a Blitzcrank skin or sport one unless it was a personally obtained Rusty Blitzcrank skin or it was re-instated into the shop. And even now, I still hold by my word.

I see the result of the case of Rusty Blitzcrank as a pointless solution. Not only because it's the only situation of its kind that's existed in the history of League of Legends being that it was a common skin but was removed due to "lack of creativity" or "bad resolution", but because there are many other situations and examples similar to this that have gone unnoticed. Sure; feelings of these rare occurrences are justified by the lack of technology at the time as well as the importance of listening to the small but dedicated community for how small and unfamiliar to game was at the time, but as time has progressed and things have changed, the League of Legends community has called Riot out on many fallacies when it comes to skins as well as having strongly voiced their opinions when they felt their voices were ignored before a decision was made. Riot has progressed and corrected these fallacies in the modern state of the game, but why not its roots? And even then, these fallacies still occur and, unfortunately, more often than us as a community would like to see.

It saddens me as a curator that this skins availability is null. The post regarding this skin states that it was due to player feedback about its natural low resolution, “flat texture”, and simple re-coloring. There was also another post further regarding the skin in that the skins “lack of theme” was its biggest weakness on the notion of, ‘Who wants to play a rusty Steam Golem?’. My analysis of these statements was that maybe people didn’t see the need to have a “re-colored” skin when, frankly, the champion wasn’t as popular as other champions anyway. My second analysis is that Riot didn’t have its stubborn backbone then as it does today. Today, Riot will “listen to player feedback”, implement their own tweaks on a new champion or current kit, release it and be ‘surprised’ that their community doesn’t like it and then shortly after, they re-tweak it and publically state that they should’ve listened better or in some cases where they don’t change it, “wish we could’ve done it differently”. That one is quite frequent; an example being the back to back VU’s of Karma and Trundle and Riot releasing statements that they wish they could’ve done things differently with the VU’s. Well, why not do it then? I digress. If that same backbone was in Riot at the time, we’d still have Rusty Blitzcrank in our community shop. No offensive intent for the record; only my observation as a forum crawler and frequent patch reader.

Where is my evidence for these arguments? Fear not. Riot has provided me (us the players) with plenty, I’m just one of the few who choose to look at these examples as evidence and speak up about it. Regarding player feedback, the evidence on this one isn’t necessary as it’s littered all over your forums. Players don’t like some skins. That’s just how it is. Why players’ dislike for skins can’t result in a skin getting taken out of the game NOW as opposed to then is beyond me, especially when there is a vast majority (typically every 3.5-4 out of 5 people) who stand up against some skins or some aspects about them.
When it comes to the resolution argument, it gives me a chuckle. What skin at the time had good resolution in the first place? On top of that, there are more pressing issues on some skins than resolution such as the random white texture streaks that appear on skins like Vancouver Amumu or default Cho’Gath. And, for the cherry on top, here’s some close up pictures for you to see between Vanilla Blitzcrank and Rusty Blitzcrank:

Vanilla Blitzcrank: http://puu.sh/3UaR8.png
Rusty Blitzcrank: http://puu.sh/3UaRC.png

In my opinion, the only differences I see between the two skins is that Vanilla Blitzcrank’s bolts are have slightly better resolution but that’s also due to the smaller pallet used on the skin. This also voids the argument of flat textures on Rusty Blitzcrank because it’s much more than just 2 colors and shading. Rusty Blitzcrank, with my naked with the provided picture, has additional 3 to 5 pallet variants. Far from flat textured. If you would like to see flat textured, please visit the old Assassin Master Yi. Regardless of his VU, this skin was in existence the same time that Rusty Blitzcrank was so this is a valid argument. Aside from ray casting, it’s solid black and gray other than his chin.

In all honesty, do I really need to delve into the topic of re-colors? Assassin master Yi, Golden Alistar, Goth Annie, Emerald Taric(Though thematically correct), Vancouver Amumu, Nightmare Cho’Gath. More on these to come.

The theme argument is where things get interesting. Being a creative analyst as a hobby as well as curator of the arts, I can appreciate the various themes that are portrayed through skins. But in the case of Rusty Blitzcrank, I’m going to throw my personal axioms out the window and give a white collar argument about it starting with classic Assassin Master Yi.

Reference Picture: http://puu.sh/3Ubbk.png
With the portrayal of an assassin being black and white in the eyes of Riot, I ask why. If we’re really going to look at theme here, assassins are typically incognito. Black was only ever worn as a shade of the night to blend in. Even then, assassins walked more in the day than at night as they were disguising themselves as civilians or as other militia rankings. Okay, I’ll give. That’s me being too deep from frustration. However, I feel my frustration is justified.

Reference Picture: http://puu.sh/3UbbR.png
This was a confusing one for me at first. We see here a Gold Cow. Now, the first thing that came to my mind was that maybe the gold was to represent his strength and durability. Gold happens to be one of the more malleable metals in the family. Well instead, maybe it’s as a monument to him, for those of you who don’t know, Alistar is Greek for Protector or Protector of The Earth. Maybe the Gold represents his importance. The only reference of Golden Cows is in Hebrew religion. That being that the Gold Cow was a gift to Israelites when Moses went on a journey up to Mount Sinai. Greek =/= Hebrew Religion. Though I’m probably pushing this too far, I will blow it out of the water as Rusty Blitzcrank wasn’t even given a chance.

Reference Picture: http://puu.sh/3UbnL.png
Though at first, it makes sense on paper that Goth Annie is relatable to Annie because she’s a “Dark Child”, but as far as I’m concerned, a 6-year-old has no business with, or even comprehension of, this type of lifestyle. Notice how I’m not bashing it, but I’m making a point. Thematically, it’s cute, but in Rusty Blitzcrank’s case where it “wouldn’t make sense” to play a rusty robot, I see no point in a 6-year-old girl living a commonly ‘tween’ or pre-puberty lifestyle.

Reference Picture: http://puu.sh/3UbzX.png
Vancouver Olympics; another wondrous event for us to express our patriotism and at the same time unite as a people instead of countries. May I ask how it applies to Amumu? This trips the trinity. Re-Color, thematic absence, and flat texturing (Albeit, it’s an older champion).

Reference Picture: http://puu.sh/3UbGZ.png
I actually rather enjoy this one. On a personal level, I like this skin. However, I feel inclined to ask: Even though he’s the so called Terror of The Void, is his default embodiment not enough to instill nightmares in the first place? Though I’ve never once played Cho’Gath, I love him to death as a character so that’s why I enjoy this one! But honestly, I’d probably wake up the next day with soiled pants after seeing this creature regardless if he was red or blue and with green or red eyes. Though the theme is still relatively the same, from a MORAL marketing standpoint, there was no reason to create this skin as both this skin and his default are revered of the same stimulus; that being fear and being terrified.
And now if we’re really going to get into flat textures, may I present some modern examples?

Phoenix Quinn: http://puu.sh/3UbZO.png

I love Quinn but I regret getting this skin with her. Quinn as a whole has been terribly textured. And just like I referenced earlier in this letter, Riot has admitted to its lack luster-ness. Now, the reason provided is very valid and I’m glad they came out with it. But, if Riot has strived to not laze about on these textures to avoid another Rusty Blitzcrank situation, regardless of resolution, these flat textured atrocities have to stop.

Vanilla Aatrox: http://puu.sh/3Uc50.png

This comes with Aatrox as well. Despite how ‘good’ the ray casting may make the skin look, it’s another example on the tier of Phoenix Quinn of terrible texturing. It’s incredibly flat.

All in all, I have to ask: Is Rusty Blitzcrank really not thematically correct? Robots get rusty, even just metal rusts. Was he REALLY not that well textured and of high enough resolution considering all the other 2-tone and low resolution skins available at the time? Does the voice of the few really outweigh the voice of the many?

. . .?

To the many whom share the same love that I do when it comes to art, I feel that this would be an opportunity to appease to many of us, who share this passion, that populate your game. If you look from a 3rd person perspective at this games development and life cycle when it comes to skins and their technology, this Rusty Blitzcrank ordeal sticks out like a sore thumb. For what purpose? Because the original small populous of the game didn’t like it? We have marginally similar ratios in today’s community and yet when we have a rebuttal to an aesthetic additive or subtraction and thousands of people write, our cries are ignored. Why now and not then? Don’t get me wrong; I’m not trying to point fingers at anyone. That’s honestly the last thing I want to do. But in all fairness, that original small populous now is both withered away and sprinkled in your sprawling community. Just like the marketing and PR ethics changing over the years for this company, how about the opinions of your populous? Can you honestly say that our word is any less important than it was when the game was growing its first legs? To quench the Morello thirst, I understand that with as many champions and mechanics as we have now, changes have to be made with extreme volatility and it can be hard to take suggestions but because of the lack of player implemented ideas, and I’ve seen some damn good ones get shot down and ignored, we end up with stale champions; both aesthetically and mechanically. So stale, in fact, that some champions were driven to the point of exile from common play traffic (Metas/Hot Picks).

Let’s top this off with a nice well toasted bun that’s ready to serve, yeah? The future and possible re-implementation. Watching the art grow even from 2 years ago when I joined has been astounding. As a dream art director myself, it’s beautiful watching how techniques grow even though we have a tendency to get some real piles on occasion. It’s inspiring to me really. Rusty Blitzcrank, to me, was an unjustified death. Seeing as it’s the only situation of its existence in League of Legends, it would honestly boggle me if it weren’t to make a comeback very soon. Limited skins are one thing, but a skin that never had a chance is another, especially for a character that is so loved today.
Let’s think here; let’s all think here. Rusty… Oh, I know! How about instead of a fully rust colored exterior, have a beaten old car look. You know that look; with the various shades of red, orange, and grey. And how about, maybe, he can have oil stains on the cracks of his paneling in some areas. He could have actual loose panels as well; some maybe being bent back? Oh! How about leaking oil when he walks? And maybe his extended arm could be an old rattling chain? Maybe his fist could actually be a hook like that of a tow truck? Maybe, this doesn’t have to be the resurrection of Rusty Blitzcrank. Maybe this could be converted to the birth… of Junkyard Blitzcrank. Just throwing some inspiration out there…

You see? Even seemingly negatives can be turned into positives. You just need to warm that shoulder of yours and look back. You need to open the ears to your community. We have great ideas and we, as your community, have great aspirations for this game as we’re sure you do as well. Help us… to help you… to help us.

As I said earlier, I would hope this would travel up the chain of command. Believe it or not, this is a touchy subject for me because it’s art. I don’t like to see art abandoned. Rusty Blitzcrank has a strong theme that can be so easily implemented; beautifully as well.

With respect, much admiration, and a heart full of hope,
- PlatinumRooster
- Dominic J. Mendonsa

Mecha KhaZix

08-05-2013

Once I was tired and thought I was playing against a Rusty Blitzcrank but it turned out to be regular Blitzcrank...

PlatinumRooster

08-05-2013

Bump for hope!

Jcoolz

08-05-2013

purple

Michael Cole

08-05-2013

Don't downvote the OP, phages.

LordTobiothan

08-05-2013

It was removed because it wasn't just a recolor, it was a yellow to slightly darker yellow recolor. golden/black alistar, assassin yi etc. may just be recolors, but they are at least actually a different color.

PlatinumRooster

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTobiothan View Post
It was removed because it wasn't just a recolor, it was a yellow to slightly darker yellow recolor. golden/black alistar, assassin yi etc. may just be recolors, but they are at least actually a different color.
In-game, it's not yellow at all. It's a bronzed color with a red hue. You can look up videos of it. An in all honesty, can you say that a rusty colored Golem isn't a justified skin? I can understand the Black:Assasin ratio there, but... it's a skin... devoid of any color and people paid for it. Like... yeah sure, it's an assassin so let's paint it black. I'll bite.... But you pay money for a skin devoid of color. Rusty Blitzcrank actually has a pallet larger than just 2 tones. I've seen the texture mapping and it's in-game counter part. It's not just a darker yellow.

EDIT: To top this whole ordeal off. Even though they took the skin off because it got flak, they still updated the textures and never brought it back. That doesn't make sense to me.
http://puu.sh/3UdEy.png
Left being current. Right being old.

I mean, is this not the case for VU's? Why not take out the other simple re-colors on the notion that they look awful with the intention of making them look better at a later date?

PlatinumRooster

08-05-2013

bump!

Helvaen

08-05-2013

Bump for justice!

DerkDerkistan

08-05-2013

This seems like an awful lot of work to get something so small.