New i7 Macbook Air Performance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

07-22-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I recently got a Macbook Air i7 (The new one) and have been quite impressed with the League performance on the Intel 5000 graphics chipset. Nothing record breaking, but I get a consistent 30fps throughout the game with my graphics set to high and shadows set to off.

It's a second computer for me as my primary gaming computer is a Mac Pro 1,1 with a standalone video card, but I wanted to share my results in case any other Mac gamers out there were considering the Air.

I Called Support

07-22-2013

Can I ask what your FPS is on ARAM ( I noticed my fps can be lower to a noticeable amount in aram) wondering what that looks like for you (via the macbook air).

MephyRunsAllDay

07-22-2013

Oh, look, Xin It/Bazner is back! OH WTF THAT LOLLIPOPPY, WHAT DID YOU DO TO SILENT NIGHT SONA????

FreakinUnoriginl

07-25-2013

I think it's worth pointing out that the i7 is a build-to-order option for the 2013 MacBook Air. The baseline model has a 1.3GHz i5. They both can theoretically see clocks up to 2.6GHz, but that depends on the workload and thermal headroom. The i5 doesn't seem to be ramping up as often or as much, and players with what's probably the baseline model have been reporting closer to 20 to 25 FPS.

That said, this sounds consistent with Anandtech's review. The extra $150 to go from i5 to i7 is generally considered worth it for anyone doing more than email/writing/browsing.

Kahllisto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
I recently got a Macbook Air i7 (The new one) and have been quite impressed with the League performance on the Intel 5000 graphics chipset. Nothing record breaking, but I get a consistent 30fps throughout the game with my graphics set to high and shadows set to off.

It's a second computer for me as my primary gaming computer is a Mac Pro 1,1 with a standalone video card, but I wanted to share my results in case any other Mac gamers out there were considering the Air.
I have i5 and the game was unplayable to me last time I tried (3-4 weeks ago). That said, with these settings (AND shadows) I believe you can easily break 60 FPS on Windows bootcamp.

I'm getting 30 FPS max with low/very low settings, in fact the performance is worse than what I got on my ancient Thinkpad X200T with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.9 GHz ULV. Why is this game so horribly optimized for OSX? Is it the drivers from Intel/something in OSX or is it still being worked on, on your part?

Also, a lot of people would find 30 FPS not that good for this game that requires quite a bit of APM to play well.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

08-04-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahllisto View Post
I have i5 and the game was unplayable to me last time I tried (3-4 weeks ago). That said, with these settings (AND shadows) I believe you can easily break 60 FPS on Windows bootcamp.

I'm getting 30 FPS max with low/very low settings, in fact the performance is worse than what I got on my ancient Thinkpad X200T with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.9 GHz ULV. Why is this game so horribly optimized for OSX? Is it the drivers from Intel/something in OSX or is it still being worked on, on your part?

Also, a lot of people would find 30 FPS not that good for this game that requires quite a bit of APM to play well.
I don't run bootcamp on the MBA, so I don't know what the performance is like in windows, but games generally run better under windows than they do in OS X. A lot of the performance has to do with the videocard drivers, and Apple is notoriously slow at updating them. That said, I am a lifelong Mac user and vastly prefer to remain in OS X, even if I take a bit of a performance hit when gaming.

Bleakrage

08-04-2013

Why not get a desktop? I get 60FPS every game with a Radeon and 12 GB of RAM. And it's a Mac.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

08-05-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakrage View Post
Why not get a desktop? I get 60FPS every game with a Radeon and 12 GB of RAM. And it's a Mac.
I have a mac pro 1,1 with a standalone graphics card and it runs League great, but not everyone wants (or can afford to) have two computers. I personally like to bring my laptop with me when I take my kids to their grandparents house as it is usually a chance for me to get some time alone for solo queue.

Madao

08-07-2013

Macs are grossly overpriced garbage, get a real pc.

Phalkor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2013

Xin do you have 4 or 8 Gigs of Ram?