Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trashcan Lanes

08-03-2013

For **** sakes, I didn't read the thread yet but the biggest problem with the map right now is its bland and has less colors then the original map, a lot less detail also. With the new map riot was trying to be too realistic or something because.. bleh

Trashcan Lanes

08-03-2013

Go back to the original SR concept. It had a lot more vibrant colors and more detail honestly. The harrowing map was amazing. The current map had a graphical update but is very bland is mostly focused on grey and green

turds

08-03-2013

Footstep sounds... I played Dota 2 and was amazed by the detail of the game.
To me and many others, sound is a great way to create immersion, and champion footstep sounds (like when walking) would be awesome.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-03-2013
19 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I hope I am not too far off subject, but I would love to see championship logos and LCS Team Logos in the endzones. Maybe only visible to viewers? Might not be the right thread, but in just in case it is....

Oh, that is a great idea! In the context of E-sports that would be really helpful for clarifying which team is which if you just jump in to spectate a random game. Maybe the Nexus could be a new object that represents the team logo... or all the turrets are themed to their respective teams. That would be really cool! I have no idea if we will do that, but I really like the idea.

Saikoh

08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
Dragon should look like it comes from the same fantasy world as Shyvana.

Seriously, their anatomies are completely different. You guys need to decide if dragons in Valoran have two legs or four legs. There is very little consistency in this game's art sometimes.
I would like to point out that Shyvana is only a half-dragon, so having her dragon form seem more humanoid compared to the dragons on SR should not be an issue.

RiotForScience

08-03-2013
20 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assyrianlegend View Post

Yup...

Smoke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2013

Another thing I noticed, when The Howling Abyss was released, the one thing that caught my eye specifically before anything else, was that the turrets crumble and fall apart, depending on how much damage they have taken degrading over time.

Now when the nexus actually is being destroyed, nothing is happening but a life bar going down. The explosion and "Ramp up" sound of it blowing up, would be way cool to slowly hear the music, or sound effects changing ramping up to the immediate destruction of the Nexus.

Not necessary, but would be hella flashy, and hopefully more dramatic.

Anrui

08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Oh, that is a great idea! In the context of E-sports that would be really helpful for clarifying which team is which if you just jump in to spectate a random game. Maybe the Nexus could be a new object that represents the team logo... or all the turrets are themed to their respective teams. That would be really cool! I have no idea if we will do that, but I really like the idea.
I think it would be really cool if we could watch LCS games in client (for our respective region of course) so here in NA we watch can watch NA LCS games. Kind of like how I heard Dota pro games can be watched in client or on Twitch or whatever. Would be nice, since some of us get better quality in client as opposed to streams.

Tortferngatr

08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
"The towers on Howling Abyss are profoundly awesome though -- they should be considered as a basis for a new iteration"

I am glad you liked those towers. We were initially going to add them in a future patch, but one of the artists here felt like Howling abyss would be much better if they were included in the initial shipped level. He busted his butt to get them in and I think the map is much better for it.

That being said we would not use them as the basis for future towers because they are themed for the story of Howling Abyss. If you look at the towers you will see a lot of details that explain the conflict between the Watchers and the Ice-born. We intend for future towers will be specific to the context in which they will be used.

There have been several posts that focus on speculation about potential future projects. I would prefer that we keep this discussion to feedback on Summoner's Rift. What do you like about the map? What would you like to see changed? If you could change something, what would you change it to be?
THE MUSIC.

Honestly, that's my main personal qualm with Summoner's Rift aesthetically. The music feels...I guess just weak compared to Twisted Treeline, Crystal Scar, and Howling Abyss. It isn't epic lategame and it feels out of pace with laning. It's bland, something I can't really say about any of the other maps' music.

Honestly, I'd like it if the map's score was more clearly split between different parts of the game--a definite tone for laning, a definite tone for midgame, and a definite tone for endgame. I'd also like Baron buff to have a music effect associated with it like the drums that play when you have Vilemaw's buff.

I'm not that much of a Summoner's Rift fan. I think many of the suggestions here would go some way in improving the map's aesthetics.

As for other things: I'd also like it if, like Howling Abyss, the shopkeepers communicated with you and had special lines for certain champions.

I would also like a Baron was more like Vilemaw in terms of fight design and effect--I guess I want him to have a serious presence in his appearance and "fighting against experience."

I would also like it if we had squirrels running around in the trees on one side of the map, small birds flying in and out of the trees on the other side of the map, frogs in the trees near the river, and maybe a flying squirrel that spawns in a different part of the map's trees every game. I don't know, it feels like that might be a subtle way to make the map feel more alive.

Also, give the shopkeepers pet Poros. Now. :P

RiotForScience

08-03-2013
21 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan Lanes View Post
Go back to the original SR concept. It had a lot more vibrant colors and more detail honestly. The harrowing map was amazing. The current map had a graphical update but is very bland is mostly focused on grey and green
This has been a very deliberate move on our part, based on the gameplay needs of LoL. The idea behind it is that to increase in-game readability our art need to be organized into a visual hierarchy. Our highest saturation colors and starkest contrast is reserved for Champion ability VFX, UI like Health bars occupy the 2nd priority, Champions themselves occupy the 3rd priority for contrast,saturation, and level of detail. The environments are the "4th Read". Additionally we differentiate between in-lane play space and other environment spaces and try to keep the lanes less colorful and a little darker so visual effects and champions really pop against them. This is the type of thing we are likely to be doing more of in the future.

That being said, we want to preserve the flavor of LoL. We just also need to balance it against design considerations.