so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-03-2013
64 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seimitsu View Post
I don't actually finish my degree until this December, but I know that with most positions it is appropriate to get your application in early. Is this the case with Riot as well or would it be better to wait until I've got my diploma in hand to actually send in my resume/CV?
Personally, I like to confirm that I am fully available before beginning the application process. Correct me if I'm wrong, but graduating in December means you still have at least one semester/term left. I'd concentrate on coursework over job applications until a month or two before graduation. My 2 cents

Recently

08-03-2013

Wow, first time i visited the careers page, didn't realize you guys had so many positions to fill haha.

Too bad you aren't looking for accountants or i'd apply

Guilty Toad

08-03-2013

Thanks a ton for the answer, Chezai!

Just one more short question if you don't mind, this one might be tricky to answer.

In general what would you say you expect recruiting to be like five years from now? Is it expected for the amount of jobs available to continue scaling for a long while or has this been more of a burst of recruitment until you hit a cap of the jobs necessary for the company?

Failbot Deploy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosafterburn View Post
Hey Riot Chezai, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I was searching the job listings for Riot for any positions that would allow the firing of midgets from canons at trolls, hackers, or even the general populace, but unfortunately I didn't see any. Since you are a Riot Recruiting Coordinator I was wondering if you could let me know if anything like that is available in the company. Thanks.
You're not looking for Chezai. You should be going @Zileas for that concern. Maybe you could be his replacement while he's on vacation

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-04-2013
65 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recently View Post
Wow, first time i visited the careers page, didn't realize you guys had so many positions to fill haha.

Too bad you aren't looking for accountants or i'd apply
We do have a lot of positions o.O"

Keep an eye out for new openings! And it doesn't hurt to join our "Inside Riot Games" group on LinkedIn

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-04-2013
66 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Toad View Post
Thanks a ton for the answer, Chezai!

Just one more short question if you don't mind, this one might be tricky to answer.

In general what would you say you expect recruiting to be like five years from now? Is it expected for the amount of jobs available to continue scaling for a long while or has this been more of a burst of recruitment until you hit a cap of the jobs necessary for the company?
To be honest, I have no clue. I would really like to be able to predict the future, but it's just not something I'm capable of doing...at the moment...:P

You'll get a lot more insight into things by perusing business sources [example: Forbes, Wall Street Journal] and gaming industry specific resources [Gamasutra,forums/blogs/vlogs/etc.]

Apologies for not being able to provide you with more depth

Daen

08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
To be honest, I have no clue. I would really like to be able to predict the future, but it's just not something I'm capable of doing...at the moment...:P

You'll get a lot more insight into things by perusing business sources [example: Forbes, Wall Street Journal] and gaming industry specific resources [Gamasutra,forums/blogs/vlogs/etc.]

Apologies for not being able to provide you with more depth
Haha no worries, I figured that'd be a difficult question to answer. Thanks anyway!

Best Support EUW

08-04-2013

Hi Chezai, I would like to ask you or other Reds about game design, I am currently a sophomore in high school and i have been looking into a career in that field for a while, is there anybody from riot who could help me get on the right path? Honestly I am a little lost, so any help is very much appreciated.

I had also put up a separate thread trying to see if the community liked my skin ideas, but it hadn't got too much attention....

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-04-2013
67 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPillar View Post
Hi Chezai, I would like to ask you or other Reds about game design, I am currently a sophomore in high school and i have been looking into a career in that field for a while, is there anybody from riot who could help me get on the right path? Honestly I am a little lost, so any help is very much appreciated.

I had also put up a separate thread trying to see if the community liked my skin ideas, but it hadn't got too much attention....
Hey ChaosPillar,

Our LinkedIn page would be a good place to start ["Inside Riot Games"].

Many of our devs speak at conferences. If you really want to understand the industry and find your place, I would suggest you look at past GDC talks. Not only are these talks absolutely fantastic, you'll find out who the influential members of the game dev community are. From there you'll be able to find more blogs, vlogs, forums, sites, etc. that you'll be able to glean more information from.

As for your champion skin ideas, keep in mind that the community sees hundreds [if not thousands] of these a day. Don't be disheartened! Crank out great ideas and be open to feedback. At the very least, you'll end up learning a lot

Wrosgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2013

On top of what Riot Chezai said, I have been in a game design school and will be graduating in December. As someone who is also looking for a game design related job (potentially at Riot) the things I've found that have been invaluable from my time at school is learning about EVERYTHING. I'm more focused on Level Design + Programming but the knowledge from storytelling, machinima, audio, art (2D and 3D) and learning terms and programs for what everyone on a team could be utilizing is awesome.

One thing that has changed for me as well is that NO ONE is able to get into game design on ideas alone. You have to be able to make a product that you can show and say "I did this". Until you understand what the programmers have to do, what the artists have to do, what everyone has to do to make a game, you don't have the authority to try to make games from ideas alone. "I have this awesome idea, and more that no one has thought of yet!" doesn't cut it.

There are tons of ways to get into creating games, it's just a matter of choosing one (or 2 that compliment each other) and creating content for a portfolio. When I applied for Riot over a year ago, that was the big things they said that I was missing. They said they liked my application and yada yada, but what they REALLY want is porfolio pieces. If it's particularly the game design role you're looking for, then they want to see GAMES you've made. Even if it's like flash games, SC2 maps, etc. it's all about content you've created.