Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Docta Cheese

08-02-2013

Hello, just a couple suggestions I'd like to share.

Assuming the map doesn't get a complete overhaul, I would focus on enhancing the river, as it is present in all three lanes and is in my opinion one of the focal points of the map.

I think it would be a cool idea to have the river flowing stronger, and make the lanes wide bridges while still maintaining their current overall width so that the dimensions don't change.

Another idea I had was making the baron pit a deeper pool and possible have Baron coming out of the water as more of a "sea creature" Not sure how this would work in terms of champions being able to attack him without falling in, but I'm sure the Riot team can come up with something neat!

Also just another side note, instead of making us wait a whole year for an update I think the community would really appreciate smaller updates each patch rather than one complete change at once. This would give players a greater chance to get used to the map gradually as opposed to all at one time.

Anyways, these are my suggestions, thanks for reading everyone!

EDIT: I know this is in the wrong place, but if a Riot Employee could send this to the right place I think adding a couple more music tracks to the new Rift when it comes would be awesome! The same tune gets a tad bit old, anyways, just an idea.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-02-2013
18 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anrui View Post
Can you please try to reply to others in quotes instead of @? It is pretty confusing for me to not know exactly what you are talking about or from where you are quoting from when you quote others with ""
Ah! That is what the quote button does! I started doing it the other way because I was quoting comments from other threads. I think most of the conversation is happening here now so I will be better about how I quote.

DarkSavior41

08-02-2013

Warning, some of what I am about to say is a bit overboard and is more about showing what could be done. I really feel like SR needs a full rework. It doesn't look as good as TT or ARMA. It feels bland and hasn't really changed much since the game went into beta (sure its been polished now and then but that is about it)

The towers on Howling Abyss falling apart and showing damage is amazing, the way there are holes on the bridge and grow larger and change shape.

Also its been said but a day and night cycle would be awesome, and could have some really interesting play with certain champs. What if they had abilities or passives that interacted with the time of day as the game goes on (Leona and Diana as a case point, but there are others). Now why that has a bit of a stretch there are other game play elements that can play off that. Maybe even wards playing a major role at night (have the map light well but maybe with less vision range from champs, causing ganks to be easier without vision wards placed)

I think that SR is one of the only maps where it feels like where you are fighting doesn't really matter. There is no theme to how the game plays out. Right now SR is basically a skin, another words the gameplay defines the environment rather then being a part of it. TT is close together lanes, and shared jungle offers different wants to play the map, stick to your lanes or play the jungle, ganking and junking in and out...sometimes whole teams play the jungle and apply pressure due to a lack of vision on them.

Also theme ideas could be places like Demacia vs Noxus? Demacis's side of the map being a lust, rich forest and Noxus being rocky mountains/canyons.

River currently looks like a standing pound of water, there is no flow to it or feeling that its anything interesting.

Flamesilocks

08-02-2013

I think complaints about dragons are silly--look back in the world history and you'll see plenty of different kinds of dragons. Runeterra isn't small. There is no reason that there should only be one kind of dragon.

ArcticSirius

08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I am glad you liked those towers. We were initially going to add them in a future patch, but one of the artists here felt like Howling abyss would be much better if they were included in the initial shipped level. He busted his butt to get them in and I think the map is much better for it.

That being said we would not use them as the basis for future towers because they are themed for the story of Howling Abyss. If you look at the towers you will see a lot of details that explain the conflict between the Watchers and the Ice-born. We intend for future towers will be specific to the context in which they will be used.
Ya, it would be better to keep the design of HA towers on HA, but when you guys first released HA and I saw the crumbling of the towers my first reaction was "omg, did it just wear-'n-tear to our assault?! moar" and would love to see wear-'n'-tear on other towers (maybe other structures too?) on SR.

Quote:
That camera idea is really clever. It is completely outside of my forte, but I will mention it to the designers next time I see them.
In DOTA 2 they have it where if you move your mouse slightly to x direction you gain more view in that direction, is that something you're looking to involve in SR w/o telling us too much?

Ebonmaw Dragon

08-02-2013

Quote:
"Dragon should look like it comes from the same fantasy world as Shyvana.

Seriously, their anatomies are completely different. You guys need to decide if dragons in Valoran have two legs or four legs. There is very little consistency in this game's art sometimes"

We actually deliberately try to separate creatures from champions. We want to keep Shyvanna's dragon form unique to Shyvanna. I agree with you about consistancy. From an Environment perspective we are working to create a cohesive look to our maps, and that is going to be a ongoing effort.
Ebonmaw Where?

The answer is not at Twisted Treeline

Not Awful

08-02-2013

Quote:
"Dragon should look like it comes from the same fantasy world as Shyvana.

Seriously, their anatomies are completely different. You guys need to decide if dragons in Valoran have two legs or four legs. There is very little consistency in this game's art sometimes"

We actually deliberately try to separate creatures from champions. We want to keep Shyvanna's dragon form unique to Shyvanna. I agree with you about consistancy. From an Environment perspective we are working to create a cohesive look to our maps, and that is going to be a ongoing effort.
Why do they both have to be dragons? I agree that if they're both dragons they should be more similar, but I agree with what you're saying here. But is there some way to y'know, specify what kind of dragon either is. Like a drake, or some other type of classification to distinguish between two obviously different species of dragon.

Vortex IV

08-02-2013

I don't really care how ugly the quality of the textures are, or what baron's nest looks like. But I would really like to see more skins of the map to keep it fresh. Keep everything the same in terms of walls and placement of every creep and object but have a desert map, a winter map, a nighttime map, a rainforest map, etc.. The ideas are limitless.

SOMETHING to kill the boredom of seeing the same thing every single game.

Assyrianlegend

08-02-2013

Quote:
Ah! That is what the quote button does! I started doing it the other way because I was quoting comments from other threads. I think most of the conversation is happening here now so I will be better about how I quote.
Ill just leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBK9O5nDJlM

Smoke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2013

I hope I am not too far off subject, but I would love to see championship logos and LCS Team Logos in the endzones. Maybe only visible to viewers? Might not be the right thread, but in just in case it is....