so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shattered Clock

Senior Member

08-02-2013

Question:

What is the situation on physical security at Riot?

I see all the posts about Systems Security and such, but what about actual guards and whatnot for the doors/patrolling about the complex.

Given that you are a rather large company at this point with sizable monetary assets, I can see the need for physical security staff. Unless you all happen to be trained ninjas...which I suspect. Also, already joined the Linkedin group, would that be a better place to pose this question?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prof Nekko

Senior Member

08-02-2013

oh Chezai since you seem to be explaining what some of your positions are for. I've been looking for a job that let's me rip the souls out of people and leave them empty husks devoid of life, left to wallow in a sea of misery and sadness.

So I was wondering if there was a job opening on the balance team


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-02-2013
59 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Toad View Post
Hi there Riot Chezai,

I have a few questions that're sort of specific to me, but I hope the general concepts could be useful to others. I am not majoring in what I'm interested in doing as a career, though I'm experienced in dealing directly with people. I really just want to know whether these sorts of things are actually positives on a resume (for Riot specifically) or if they're reasonably unimportant.

Basically in a nutshell I'm currently a Classical Flute Performance major so I have the discipline/communication skills from that major.

I run a lot of guilds/clans for pretty much every game I play, usually reasonably large within the respective communities.

I really enjoy doing research and making long detailed threads/analyses on systems in games I play. One I'm currently working on is an analysis of Honor by collecting a lot of data and trying to parse it effectively.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a plug or anything, I just legitimately don't know whether these things are useful on a resume specifically when applying to Riot.

Thanks in advance!
Hey Guilty Toad,

Classical Flute Performance entails some background in music theory, composition, etc. This in and of itself MIGHT be something our audio teams are looking for. If there's anything open, it would be posted on our Careers page.

From what you've outlined for me, I would say you should look into Community, Marketing, Player Support, and QA. I don't mean apply to everything. Take a look at the different teams and see if there's something that you're REALLY passionate about.

Definitely mention your experience/interests/projects in a cover letter/your resume. GL HF


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-02-2013
60 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagnim View Post
What is the legal team like? I just got out of law school and was real interested. They don't seem like gamers, and they definitely never post on here. It's hard being a young gamer in the legal field.
Hey Maagnim,

I can tell you for a fact that we do have gamers on our legal team Rioters are a special mix of gamers & subject matter experts.

Also keep in mind that Rioters in general are gamers and departments often mingle. Many opportunities to discuss gaming interests and play together


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-02-2013
61 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyvag View Post
Question:

What is the situation on physical security at Riot?

I see all the posts about Systems Security and such, but what about actual guards and whatnot for the doors/patrolling about the complex.

Given that you are a rather large company at this point with sizable monetary assets, I can see the need for physical security staff. Unless you all happen to be trained ninjas...which I suspect. Also, already joined the Linkedin group, would that be a better place to pose this question?
Hey Kandyvag [not sure if this name is totally appropriate...],

Ninjas? Rioters? Nah!!! *laughs nervously* what do you mean??? *shifty eyes* no way! these ninja stars are just for decoration...

To answer your question, it's best if you posted on the LinkedIn group. They'll have better insight


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Icraig33

Senior Member

08-02-2013

Hi there Chezai,

I was looking through the careers at Riot, because I was thinking about potentially applying for Champion Design at some point in the future, but noticed it wasn't listed there (and I could've sworn it was there a while ago, when I last checked)

so, if you don't mind me asking, What do you think are the requirements to apply for Champion Design? are there any specific degrees needed? Since I know that most design roles need at least basic programming knowledge, are there any specific programming languages that you recommend I learn?

I ask because I'm personally very passionate about champion design and regularly design champion concepts as thought exercises. I'm willing to go and learn all the stuff needed to be eligible to apply for such a job


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-02-2013
62 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Nekko View Post
oh Chezai since you seem to be explaining what some of your positions are for. I've been looking for a job that let's me rip the souls out of people and leave them empty husks devoid of life, left to wallow in a sea of misery and sadness.

So I was wondering if there was a job opening on the balance team
Hey Prof Nekko,

I think there's only one of that particular position and it's already been filled by Nerf Master Suck Town. But if we need more soul ripping and all that good stuff, it'll definitely show up on our Careers page under 'Game Design'.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-03-2013
63 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icraig33 View Post
Hi there Chezai,

I was looking through the careers at Riot, because I was thinking about potentially applying for Champion Design at some point in the future, but noticed it wasn't listed there (and I could've sworn it was there a while ago, when I last checked)

so, if you don't mind me asking, What do you think are the requirements to apply for Champion Design? are there any specific degrees needed? Since I know that most design roles need at least basic programming knowledge, are there any specific programming languages that you recommend I learn?

I ask because I'm personally very passionate about champion design and regularly design champion concepts as thought exercises. I'm willing to go and learn all the stuff needed to be eligible to apply for such a job
Hey Icraig33,

If the position is open, we will definitely post it on the Careers page under Game Design.

With regards to job requirements, it is dependent on what the team's specifically looking for. If a position opens up, the job description is your best bet to figure out what that might be. The need for programming knowledge, for example, would be listed if it is indeed a necessary skill.

My suggestion is to take a look at blogs, forums, and game design related materials to give you a better idea of what the industry standard is. There are many top game designers who share their work and thoughts regarding game design to the public via blogs/podcasts/etc. Our "Inside Riot Games" page is another great resource you may want to take advantage of.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maruku

Member

08-03-2013

If I ever went for a job at Riot it'd be in the Q&A area.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seimitsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-03-2013

I don't actually finish my degree until this December, but I know that with most positions it is appropriate to get your application in early. Is this the case with Riot as well or would it be better to wait until I've got my diploma in hand to actually send in my resume/CV?